The Student Room Group

Can't get work experience, what else can I do to have a strong personal statement?

I haven't been able to find work experience relevant to the course I want to do (biomedical science), so was wondering what else I could do for a stronger personal statement?

I have done quite a bit of further reading, especially on immunology and genetics, and have a 2:1 in the Seren Award on GMOs, so there is something under my belt. I've also applied for a few summer schools that I'm hearing back from in June, but I feel like I could/should do more? Not sure if it's too late though! Due to personal circumstances, I'm not very confident on my grades this year, so really need a strong personal statement.

I was thinking stuff like maybe doing an online course in something relevant over the holidays? I know some courses that offer certificates and stuff you have to pay for, but is it worth investing in?

Would love some more advice :smile: Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by astrocarbs
I haven't been able to find work experience relevant to the course I want to do (biomedical science), so was wondering what else I could do for a stronger personal statement?

I have done quite a bit of further reading, especially on immunology and genetics, and have a 2:1 in the Seren Award on GMOs, so there is something under my belt. I've also applied for a few summer schools that I'm hearing back from in June, but I feel like I could/should do more? Not sure if it's too late though! Due to personal circumstances, I'm not very confident on my grades this year, so really need a strong personal statement.

I was thinking stuff like maybe doing an online course in something relevant over the holidays? I know some courses that offer certificates and stuff you have to pay for, but is it worth investing in?

Would love some more advice :smile: Thank you!

What you've done sounds great, as lots of the unis care more about how you reflect on yours experiences and what you have learnt from then, rather than the quantity. So if you haven't already I would focus on that. It also might be worth doing some moocs (lots of which are free) and trying springpod as they have lots of online work experience courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending