The Student Room Group

passion projects for law/politics/english/writing

Hi! This september I'll be going into year 12 and I was considering applying to some american universities but I'm aware the application process is a lot more centred around extra curriculars - particularly a passion project with a high impact. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about something I could do for either law/politics, english or writing as those are the subjects i'm really interested in at the moment.

To be honest I'm not in a lot of clubs - I'm captain of my school's badminton team and for a couple years I ran acting classes for younger kids but i feel like neither of those are going to be impressive to the ivies haha

I'd really appreciate any help!:smile:
Reply 1
Hi! I am also interested in the going to the US for uni. Passion projects are definitely a major quality schools look at, especially Ivy leagues! Your extracurriculars are quite good, I know how hard it is to have the same amount needed in the UK, but the acting classes will be helpful! Maybe try to volunteer more places, like for example if you want to go into law, find a local law firm that will allow you to assist for a day or just look around :smile: Other options you could do include a new article, or website, those are always a good option. However, the main thing you want to look into is your personal letter/statement, those are extremely important for these schools. I am going to assume you will do well with these as your interests include English! You could also look into publishing some of your work, it can be essays or your studies, those can make you stand out. You can also look into submitting your writing in local or larger contests or news articles. Maybe look into starting a club at your school, being president is always look favourably on as it shows your leadership skills. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! Remember that essay! Good luck <3

P.S. please if you wouldn't mind sharing your process and any advice for me!
Reply 2
Original post by kevansss
Hi! I am also interested in the going to the US for uni. Passion projects are definitely a major quality schools look at, especially Ivy leagues! Your extracurriculars are quite good, I know how hard it is to have the same amount needed in the UK, but the acting classes will be helpful! Maybe try to volunteer more places, like for example if you want to go into law, find a local law firm that will allow you to assist for a day or just look around :smile: Other options you could do include a new article, or website, those are always a good option. However, the main thing you want to look into is your personal letter/statement, those are extremely important for these schools. I am going to assume you will do well with these as your interests include English! You could also look into publishing some of your work, it can be essays or your studies, those can make you stand out. You can also look into submitting your writing in local or larger contests or news articles. Maybe look into starting a club at your school, being president is always look favourably on as it shows your leadership skills. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! Remember that essay! Good luck <3

P.S. please if you wouldn't mind sharing your process and any advice for me!

Thank you so much for the advice! I think over the summer I'll try and enter some contests and news articles and in September I'll start looking for work experience and networking. I'll be sure to keep you updated and good luck in your applications! What subjects are you applying for?:smile:
Reply 3
Of course! Please let me know if u have any more inquires. Those are great ideas and definitely will boost you up, just being from the UK will also make you stand out. Thank you please do! I am thinking about doing English, maths, law, and chemistry. Odd mix I know! I am most likely going to switch them up. However, as I want to be a lawyer and most likely study in the US, I will get an undergraduate is maybe english, not exactly sure on that either, then go to law school after. How about you?
Reply 4
Original post by kevansss
Of course! Please let me know if u have any more inquires. Those are great ideas and definitely will boost you up, just being from the UK will also make you stand out. Thank you please do! I am thinking about doing English, maths, law, and chemistry. Odd mix I know! I am most likely going to switch them up. However, as I want to be a lawyer and most likely study in the US, I will get an undergraduate is maybe english, not exactly sure on that either, then go to law school after. How about you?

Haha that's crazy I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing lol!! Was thinking of an undergrad in english or writing and then law school! Your subject combos i think are really good though it shows you're very well-rounded. My school doesn't offer law a level which kinda sucks because it sounds quite fun tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending