The Student Room Group

BA (Hons) - Law (Jurisprudence) at Oxford only allows choice of 2 optional papers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by marble arch
This is so funny. Why don’t you just apply to Cambridge then since they have more optional modules or whatever? Sorry to burst your bubble but Oxford isn’t going to listen to you

Everybody at Oxford would love to have 6 optional papers like Cambridge. So it won't happen, unless somebody tries to convince and persuade the Law department at Oxford University!!!
Original post by thegeek888
Everybody at Oxford would love to have 6 optional papers like Cambridge. So it won't happen, unless somebody tries to convince and persuade the Law department at Oxford University!!!

Really? How do you know? Have you asked everybody at Oxford? Done a poll or soemtbing? Don’t think so
Reply 22
Really? How do you know? Have you asked everybody at Oxford? Done a poll or soemtbing? Don’t think so

The Oxford Law students currently studying at Oxford University want to see more optional papers too. Yes, I have done a poll for this thread, so why don't you vote too. :smile: lol
My UCAS Personal Statement will be outstanding but you will understand more about my court case (it was ABH/Theft of a mobile phone, against me), I was left highly traumatised. But when I meet you in one of Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL or SOAS you will understand. :frown: :smile: I have also seen a 'vivid' dream, like a video being played in my dream with my old Headmaster say: "Many Congratulations in getting into Oxbridge." But I don't know whether it was Oxford or Cambridge. :s-smilie:

You will never meet me.

Just reading the set books will not get you a place at Oxford. You need to do your own research into an area of law that interests you, and ace the lnat.

An Oxford law undergraduate once told me that to get into Oxford law you have to be good at logic. You can have this gift even if you have aaa, which is why they are open to people who do not have and a*.

Just have a look at the other posters’ comments. Your comments are not popular, so logic would tell you you are not on the right track.

How do you know? Have you asked them all? This is what a court of law would call a sweeping statement.

Oh sorry, I didn’t spot your post before commenting. But yeah I agree ( high five)
Reply 26
Original post by Oxford Mum
You will never meet me.

Just reading the set books will not get you a place at Oxford. You need to do your own research into an area of law that interests you, and ace the lnat.

An Oxford law undergraduate once told me that to get into Oxford law you have to be good at logic. You can have this gift even if you have aaa, which is why they are open to people who do not have and a*.

Just have a look at the other posters’ comments. Your comments are not popular, so logic would tell you you are not on the right track.

Reading law textbooks is useful for the interviews, since the Tutorials at Oxford and Supervisions at Cambridge are based on Year 1 Papers content, and it is tested indirectly in the interviews in December every year. But it is clear, you need to have a high LNAT score to have a realistic chance of being called for interview at either.

My comments have no malice, all I want to do is to see Oxford offer 6 optional papers, which they can easily do so. In fact, Oxford offer better optional papers than Cambridge!!! :biggrin: lol But they only currently allow 2 optional paper choices, when they clearly could offer 6 optional papers.

I do Maths and Further Maths and that teaches logic in problem solving too. :wink: lol

Why have entry requirements as low as AAA? When less than 5% of the intake are offered AAA?! :s-smilie: Where as the majority achieve A*A*A or A*A*A :smile: But I do think they should introduce CONTEXTUAL OFFERS: BBB like UCL and they also have Foundation Year to Law.
(edited 10 months ago)

?

no i dont...lmfao
Reading law textbooks is useful for the interviews, since the Tutorials at Oxford and Supervisions at Cambridge are based on Year 1 Papers content, and it is tested indirectly in the interviews in December every year. But it is clear, you need to have a high LNAT score to have a realistic chance of being called for interview at either.

My comments have no malice, all I want to do is to see Oxford offer 6 optional papers, which they can easily do so. In fact, Oxford offer better optional papers than Cambridge!!! :biggrin: lol But they only currently allow 2 optional paper choices, when they clearly could offer 6 optional papers.

I do Maths and Further Maths and that teaches logic in problem solving too. :wink: lol

Why have entry requirements as low as AAA? When less than 5% of the intake are offered AAA?! :s-smilie: Where as the majority achieve A*A*A or A*A*A :smile: But I do think they should introduce CONTEXTUAL OFFERS: BBB like UCL and they also have Foundation Year to Law.

I still don't get why 1. you are so desperate for 6 optional papers and 2. you are so desperate for them to up the entry requirements when it doesn't affect you. oxford and cambridge simply have different ways of shortlisting, why do you want them to interview more people? why do you even think that if they increase the requirements to a*aa they will interview more people in the first place? is it because if you don't get an interview with your 4a* predicted grades you can blame it on the fact that oxford shortlists less people for interview due to their low entry requirements? you're making 0 sense...

you still haven't explained why oxford should change to cambridge's system other than "i want it to" and "it's a prestigious uni" neither of which are concrete reasons which explain why it would be an improvement. what makes having 6 options better? u should probably think about that first...
Reply 29
Original post by Anonymous
?

no i dont...lmfao

All the other universities offer around 5 optional papers and only Cambridge offers 6 optional papers, yet Oxford only offers 2 optional papers?! :frown:
All the other universities offer around 5 optional papers and only Cambridge offers 6 optional papers, yet Oxford only offers 2 optional papers?! :frown:

bro ur just repeating urself. what's better about having more options?
Reply 31
I still don't get why 1. you are so desperate for 6 optional papers and 2. you are so desperate for them to up the entry requirements when it doesn't affect you. oxford and cambridge simply have different ways of shortlisting, why do you want them to interview more people? why do you even think that if they increase the requirements to a*aa they will interview more people in the first place? is it because if you don't get an interview with your 4a* predicted grades you can blame it on the fact that oxford shortlists less people for interview due to their low entry requirements? you're making 0 sense...

you still haven't explained why oxford should change to cambridge's system other than "i want it to" and "it's a prestigious uni" neither of which are concrete reasons which explain why it would be an improvement. what makes having 6 options better? u should probably think about that first...

I will apply with certificates of A-Levels and the CFAB at least of the ICAEW Accountants exams, so there will be no predicted grades issue. I wish to become a Tax Barrister.

Oxford are missing out on talented candidates by shortlisting just some candidates. Cambridge University interviews 80% - 90% of its applicants, especially those who have a chance to shine at interview stage, where as Oxford use a shortlisting system which only selects the highest scores.

There are currently just 2 optional papers, and most other universities offer 2 optional papers in Year 2 and 3 in Year 3 and Cambridge offers 3 optional papers in Year 2 and 3 optional papers in Year 3 as well. :smile: lol So why can't Oxford offer the same as Cambridge? :s-smilie:
Reply 32
bro ur just repeating urself. what's better about having more options?

Greater satisfaction for a student.
Greater satisfaction for a student.

how is it more satisfying for students?
Reply 34
how is it more satisfying for students?

Oxford actually offers better module choice than Cambridge!!! :biggrin: lol That's why, they should offer 6 optional choices too.

How can you decide between that list of optional papers and choose just 2 papers?! :s-smilie: When 6 optional papers makes much more sense for the 'elite' future judges and top barristers and solicitors in the country!!! :wink:

https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/content/options-page/ba-jurisprudence-options
I will apply with certificates of A-Levels and the CFAB at least of the ICAEW Accountants exams, so there will be no predicted grades issue. I wish to become a Tax Barrister.

Oxford are missing out on talented candidates by shortlisting just some candidates. Cambridge University interviews 80% - 90% of its applicants, especially those who have a chance to shine at interview stage, where as Oxford use a shortlisting system which only selects the highest scores.

There are currently just 2 optional papers, and most other universities offer 2 optional papers in Year 2 and 3 in Year 3 and Cambridge offers 3 optional papers in Year 2 and 3 optional papers in Year 3 as well. :smile: lol So why can't Oxford offer the same as Cambridge? :s-smilie:

you know they can reject you even if you have 4a* and the CFAB right? you can do abysmally on the lnat and that's that

you're acting as if cambridge isn't also "missing out on talented candidates" by not selecting people with aaa lol... and when you say the highest scores that has nothing to do with the a-levels but rather the lnat which makes sense when considering that it's a test for someone's aptitude for the subject. it's just a different method of shortlisting and the final amount of students they select is largely the same. are you counting on the interview that much because you don't have the confidence you can match the other shortlisted candidates in other aspects of the application? who's to say that cambridge won't reject you pre-interview? i know people who ended up like that...

lol so why must Oxford offer the same as Cambridge?
Reply 36
you know they can reject you even if you have 4a* and the CFAB right? you can do abysmally on the lnat and that's that

you're acting as if cambridge isn't also "missing out on talented candidates" by not selecting people with aaa lol... and when you say the highest scores that has nothing to do with the a-levels but rather the lnat which makes sense when considering that it's a test for someone's aptitude for the subject. it's just a different method of shortlisting and the final amount of students they select is largely the same. are you counting on the interview that much because you don't have the confidence you can match the other shortlisted candidates in other aspects of the application? who's to say that cambridge won't reject you pre-interview? i know people who ended up like that...

lol so why must Oxford offer the same as Cambridge?

If I get rejected from Cambridge, I would re-apply. :biggrin: lol I don't really want to live at home in London with choices of LSE, UCL, KCL or SOAS. :frown: But I am confident if I mention my court case, I will be given an offer. Because I was threatened with death in an alleyway and the psycho was charged with Actual Bodily Harm and Theft of a Mobile Phone. :frown: So I want to reform the soft laws in the UK and eventually campaign for the restoration of the Death Penalty and tougher laws and more prisons to be built.

Yes, I agree, a top score for LNAT is a huge factor in being called for interview. I read that 28 was the average for Oxford, but so many had 30 to 35 range. Cambridge only started using the LNAT this year.

Oxford are not offering the same as Cambridge. Oxford offer Taxation Law, which is not a full paper optional choice at Cambridge University. Also, Oxford offer Copyrights, Trademarks and Patent optional papers. But you don't understand, almost every other university Law department offers more than 2 optional papers. Oxford needs to step up and offer 6 papers optional to compete for the best candidates. :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
As soon as I read ‘but I’m confident if I mention my court case, I’ll be given an offer’ I knew this guy was trolling lol. What makes you think just because you have a court case your going to get an offer? That’s like saying every prospective med student who has spent time in hospital with an illness and mentions it in interview will be given an offer.
(edited 10 months ago)
As soon as I read ‘but I’m confident if I mention my court case, I’ll be given an offer’ I knew this guy was trolling lol. What makes you think just because you have a court case your going to get an offer? That’s like saying everything prospective med student who has spent time in hospital with an illness and mentions it in interview will be given an offer.

Prsom
Reply 39
This is entertaining to read :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending