The Student Room Group

will a 6 in gcse psychology stop me doing a degree in it ?

Hi,
im currently in year 12 and I’m interested in PBS at cambridge however i have a 6 in gcse psychology. i know that cambridge care about gcses more than other unis. Is it worth resitting psychology in may to get a higher grade ? i had extenuating circumstances throughout my gcses and my other grades are 877777766.
thanks !! :smile:
i no longer have the same extenuating circumstances that i did have while doing my gcses. if i resat psychology this year would that remove the extenuating circumstances from the rest of my grades ? can cambridge see that i sat one gcse a year later ? thanks x
Original post by turquiosedragon1
Hi,
im currently in year 12 and I’m interested in PBS at cambridge however i have a 6 in gcse psychology. i know that cambridge care about gcses more than other unis. Is it worth resitting psychology in may to get a higher grade ? i had extenuating circumstances throughout my gcses and my other grades are 877777766.
Hi! To answer your question, no, it won't stop you from doing a degree in it. Universities do care about GCSEs, especially for competitive subjects like psychology, but they won't be the deciding factor - so a 6 in psychology is unlikely to matter much if you're predicted an A* in the A-level. It's definitely not worth resitting, which I can testify from experience!

I applied to Cambridge for History, which I was insanely nervous about because I got a 6 in the GCSE and 8888765555 overall. But hey, I got an offer! I was the only one out of 10+ Oxbridge applicants in my year to get one, even though everybody else had (close to) straight 9s. You'll get people on here saying "It's fine if you have weaker GCSEs so long as it's not in a related subject", but honestly, even that isn't true. I also had extenuating circumstances, but as long as you outline them in your application, they shouldn't matter too much.

Yes, Cambridge is very competitive, and lower GCSEs will weaken your application somewhat, but if the rest of your application is strong (which is probably why I got an offer) it's more than possible. They'll care much, much more about your performance in any interviews/admissions tests, which is where most people trip up. Don't worry about your GCSEs, just work on getting the best predicted grades possible - and start reading around your subject to make sure you have an excellent personal statement :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
thank you so much for taking the time to respond. this is very helpful and i really appreciate it 🙂 are you going to cambridge in september ? x
thank you so much for taking the time to respond. this is very helpful and i really appreciate it 🙂 are you going to cambridge in september ? x
nope, i’m taking a gap year so i’ll be starting in 2025 x
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by eilnabrmnat
Hi! To answer your question, no, it won't stop you from doing a degree in it. Universities do care about GCSEs, especially for competitive subjects like psychology, but they won't be the deciding factor - so a 6 in psychology is unlikely to matter much if you're predicted an A* in the A-level. It's definitely not worth resitting, which I can testify from experience!

I applied to Cambridge for History, which I was insanely nervous about because I got a 6 in the GCSE and 8888765555 overall. But hey, I got an offer! I was the only one out of 10+ Oxbridge applicants in my year to get one, even though everybody else had (close to) straight 9s. You'll get people on here saying "It's fine if you have weaker GCSEs so long as it's not in a related subject", but honestly, even that isn't true. I also had extenuating circumstances, but as long as you outline them in your application, they shouldn't matter too much.

Yes, Cambridge is very competitive, and lower GCSEs will weaken your application somewhat, but if the rest of your application is strong (which is probably why I got an offer) it's more than possible. They'll care much, much more about your performance in any interviews/admissions tests, which is where most people trip up. Don't worry about your GCSEs, just work on getting the best predicted grades possible - and start reading around your subject to make sure you have an excellent personal statement :smile:
you got into cambridge with a bunch of 5s??? i thought they didnt allow that or something lol, that has made me worry a lot less considering i have only one 5 and want to go cambridge xd
Original post by imhomo2017
you got into cambridge with a bunch of 5s??? i thought they didnt allow that or something lol, that has made me worry a lot less considering i have only one 5 and want to go cambridge xd
also remember correlation is not causation! the main reason the vast majority of cambridge students/offer holders have straight 8/9s is because most people who got “average” gcses are either less likely to achieve the A-level grades needed for oxbridge, or are (misleadingly) discouraged to apply in the first place. obviously nothing is guaranteed, but if you think you’re capable of getting the a-level grades required for cambridge, there’s no reason not to apply! x
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by eilnabrmnat
nope, i’m taking a gap year so i’ll be starting in 2025 x
oooo that’s what i plan to do !! which college are you going to next year ? x
Hi,

If you end up getting a good predicted grace i’m psychology a level that actually shows a massive improvement which i’m sure you can mention in your personal statement! your ability to grow and improve, that’s quite self reflective and shows perspective which they value
Same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending