The Student Room Group

Work permit for UK national under 16?

I'm a UK national who is working on a zero hours contract at a company in the UK. I'm currently 15 (turning 16 this academic year). Do I require a work permit to work in the UK at my age and if so what does it mean that I have begun work without one? I have only started training so far.
You live and study in the UK and according to your passport you are a British citizen (presumably you were born of British parents?)
You don't need a work permit to work in your own country.
Your employer may need to have evidence of your right to work as this is a duty placed on them under government rules and this would usually be in the form of seeing your passport and taking a photocopy in case they ever get asked by the authorities.
If you don't have a passport, then you can provide a copy of your Birth certificate PLUS a letter from the Department from Work & Pensions that has your National Insurance number on it.
At your age there are rules over the number of hours you can work in a day, the rest periods you must be given and so on and these are designed for your protection.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending