The Student Room Group

A levels for law..?

hii

i'm in y12 at the minute and ive taken:

maths
biology
chemistry
history

for a-level and i also have a Critical Thinking AS Level (A) already from last year which im doing the A2 in this year

when making my options i was struck between being a neurologist/doctor and a barrister as stupid as it sounds! I spoke to a guy from Cambridge and they said they just like traditional subjects but other poeple have said I really should have English?

i have got the option to do english lit AS next year as well but I don't know if it would be worth it

anybody know if my subjects are enough to get on to a law course??

thankyouu!
Those seem fine.
Reply 2
As long as your grades are good, you should be fine. If you were doing, say, media studies, performance studies and..others..then some of the 'better' unis might have a problem but you should be alright!
Any analysis skills you haven't gained from English you will more than likely have gained from History.
History should be ok, its good to have one essay-based subject. Doctor and barrister are rather polar professions. Why are you undecided, out of interest?
Reply 4
I want to take law at a prestigious university and these are my current A-level choices:

History,
Govt. & Politics,
Chemistry,
Biology

For my fifth option, I was wondering first of all whether or not maths is basically essential in red-bricks, as I find the subject difficult (predicted an A/B at GCSE), and secondly, whether economics would be a good choice, with my lack of aptitude in maths. If not, what would be a good choice?
hzilla2: I would advise doing English Literature instead of either Chemistry or Biology if you want to do Law. But if you want to do Medicine, then your combination looks perfect.

To/\/\: I would advise doing Economics instead of Chemistry or Biology. Don't feel pressurised into taking Maths, although I agree, it is a very good A-level to have. Have you considered English literature?

PS: I do not hold anything against Chemistry and Biology as subjects per se, it's just that I don't view them as the most suitable for Law.
To/\/\
I want to take law at a prestigious university and these are my current A-level choices:

History,
Govt. & Politics,
Chemistry,
Biology

For my fifth option, I was wondering first of all whether or not maths is basically essential in red-bricks, as I find the subject difficult (predicted an A/B at GCSE), and secondly, whether economics would be a good choice, with my lack of aptitude in maths. If not, what would be a good choice?

Maths isn't essential to study law. And economics still involves maths. Go for English or a language.
Reply 7
Yes, English Language was one of my possible options. I can choose to only take up 4 subjects anyway, but I want to keep my options open. I am hoping that chemistry and biology won't hinder my application in any way, but I enjoy the subjects and have an aptitude for them, so I was hoping the rigorous academic standards in them would provide a firm base for my university applications. I have also included them as a back-up if law doesn't work out.

I am considering economics as I find it extremely interesting, although I want to know if it is really irrelevent to law.
Reply 8
Subjects arent really that important for law, but an analytical/essay type subject helps.
To/\/\
Yes, English Language was one of my possible options. I can choose to only take up 4 subjects anyway, but I want to keep my options open. I am hoping that chemistry and biology won't hinder my application in any way, but I enjoy the subjects and have an aptitude for them, so I was hoping the rigorous academic standards in them would provide a firm base for my university applications. I have also included them as a back-up if law doesn't work out.

I am considering economics as I find it extremely interesting, although I want to know if it is really irrelevent to law.

Economics is relevant to pretty much anything. To name but two examples about how it relates to law: competition law (eg. legal monopolies) and trade laws (including international laws such as those on dumping etc). You study both of these topics at A2 Economics.

But the most important skill to be gained from studying Economics, is the aptitude to infer conclusions from data and write consise and structured essays with critical evaluation.
hzilla2
hii

i'm in y12 at the minute and ive taken:

maths
biology
chemistry
history

for a-level and i also have a Critical Thinking AS Level (A) already from last year which im doing the A2 in this year

when making my options i was struck between being a neurologist/doctor and a barrister as stupid as it sounds! I spoke to a guy from Cambridge and they said they just like traditional subjects but other poeple have said I really should have English?

i have got the option to do english lit AS next year as well but I don't know if it would be worth it

anybody know if my subjects are enough to get on to a law course??

thankyouu!

Hey....your choices are fine! I picked exactly the same subjects as you last year and i'm going for law with chemistry, biology and maths :smile:
Reply 11
tom why do i get the impression you are taking way too long to construct your replies? anyway.... economics a level isnt exactly difficult maths, so thats no problem.
Reply 12
Kyte
As long as your grades are good, you should be fine. If you were doing, say, media studies, performance studies and..others..then some of the 'better' unis might have a problem but you should be alright!
Any analysis skills you haven't gained from English you will more than likely have gained from History.

Curiously, one of my A-Levels was Media Studies and I still got a good uni place...guess I'm an exception :smile:
Is History, maths, philosophy + ethics and english literature good for law??
Do what you enjoy. It doesn't matter what you do as long as they are reputable A-Levels. A mix of humanities is just as good as a mix of sciences. A mix of both is equally fine. 3 As will get you in to a good university. It's fine. Don't worry. Be happy.
letsdothetimewarpagain
Is History, maths, philosophy + ethics and english literature good for law??

Yes.
Reply 16
thankssssss guys thats put my mind at ease haha!

:smile:
I'm doing
English Literature
Psycholgy
Law
French

But then i've decided not to do law. Have you seen how much money it costs to train as a barrister!?!?!
x

Latest