The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Is University of Leeds like what my brother says it is

I told my brother I wanted to study at Leeds because it fits what I want to study the best and he advised against it, saying it is just a place 'to go out and party' and I just wanted to distance myself from my family etc.I know my brother's assumptions on the university are probably unfair and untrue, but, for people who study there, is Leeds really a good place to study if you're not into going out, drinking etc.My brother studied at King's so maybe his idea of what a university should be like is different? (seen as London universities generally don't have campuses).
Original post by Haribomeow
I told my brother I wanted to study at Leeds because it fits what I want to study the best and he advised against it, saying it is just a place 'to go out and party' and I just wanted to distance myself from my family etc.I know my brother's assumptions on the university are probably unfair and untrue, but, for people who study there, is Leeds really a good place to study if you're not into going out, drinking etc.My brother studied at King's so maybe his idea of what a university should be like is different? (seen as London universities generally don't have campuses).

Hi there.

Partying is part of every unis student culture and not just Leeds. You can make friends with people who don't party/drink and can also reassure you that meeting non-partying people is possible at Leeds.

Ultimately it's your choice and if you feel Leeds is right for you then go for it! :smile:

Best wishes.
(edited 1 year ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I would advise you to go on an open day and see what you think. Leeds does have a party reputation, but that doesn't mean that academics aren't important there!
What other unis are you considering? Remember that you can choose 5 with UCAS
Don’t let the reputation of leeds surrounding nightlife put you off!I was a fresher of uni of leeds this year and I don’t drink and I have no interest in clubbing, there’s a society called high on life which runs alcohol free events which was where I found my crowd. I have still managed to be social and I’m living in a house with some people from that society next year. Many other societies are doing an increasing number of alcohol free socials too. There are so many things to do in leeds like mini golf, bowling, arcades and so much that don’t revolve around alcohol/nightlife Besides that the campus and union is great and there’s so many brilliant things around uni of leeds. I’d recommend it to anyone, regardless of their interest in the nightlife

Quick Reply

Latest