The Student Room Group

I used an erasable pen in a GCSE exam today, what will happen?

I'm super worried right now that I'll get bad results because I used the Frixion Clicker pen which uses erasable ink. What should I do? Will the scanner heat up the ink and make all my answers invisible?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lzgznd
I'm super worried right now that I'll get bad results because I used the Frixion Clicker pen which uses erasable ink. What should I do? Will the scanner heat up the ink and make all my answers invisible?

It will almost certainly be fine. If it won't scan then they will mark it traditionally from the original.
Reply 2
Will probably be fine, imagine how many other people make these mistakes every year.
Original post by Compost
It will almost certainly be fine. If it won't scan then they will mark it traditionally from the original.

How can you be certain though? I've been searching for the past 30 mins and apparently due to the heat of the laser scanner, it turns the ink of erasable pens (like Frixion) invisible or causes it to fade away sometimes, so the examiner won't mark it properly which means I won't get the marks...?
Original post by hajima
Will probably be fine, imagine how many other people make these mistakes every year.

Yeah but some of those people also get marked down purely because of this reason, no?
Reply 6
Original post by lzgznd
Yeah but some of those people also get marked down purely because of this reason, no?

No.

Depending on the day of the week then the eraser fairy sends the assistant fairies to visit schools all over the country and they flap their magic eraser wings over the exam papers to scatter the eraser fairy dust. By the time the examiner gets the paper then if you have used an erasable pen and been a naughty child your script will have disappeared. If you have been a good child, then it changes your pen into normal ink and marks you up to an A*. Everyone knows this.

Am sure it will be ok with you and the ink will be ok or if it doesnt scan then the fairy will tell the examiner to mark the actual script because you are a worry wort.

For the avoidance of doubt they check if they have a scan and if not they will just mark it by hand. Check you have the required pen next time but dont worry.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by lzgznd

Candidates do not get marked down for using the wrong pen.
Reply 9
Original post by lzgznd
How can you be certain though? I've been searching for the past 30 mins and apparently due to the heat of the laser scanner, it turns the ink of erasable pens (like Frixion) invisible or causes it to fade away sometimes, so the examiner won't mark it properly which means I won't get the marks...?

Exam boards do their best not to disadvantage candidates. People write in the wrong pen (i.e. not black, standard ink) all the time and I have never known it to be impossible to mark a paper -and I've been involved in over 100,000
They probably won’t mark it and put it down as ungraded. You have to use a blue or black pen.
Original post by Pixel 4A
They probably won’t mark it and put it down as ungraded. You have to use a blue or black pen.

You have to use a black pen for most exam boards
Original post by Compost
You have to use a black pen for most exam boards

Blue pen then
what happened to that paper? same thing happened to me, i used the frixion clicker pen
what happened to it?
Reply 15
same thing happened to me, may i now what happened at the end. Are all of ur marks still good
Reply 16
Original post by username5017804
i'm super worried right now that i'll get bad results because i used the frixion clicker pen which uses erasable ink. What should i do? Will the scanner heat up the ink and make all my answers invisible?

hi i just did the same thing what ended up happening?
Reply 17

So what happened? Did you loose your work?
Reply 18

Well this was 2 years ago, what happened to your paper?
Reply 19

Did the scanner erase your work or did it succeed in recording your answers?

Quick Reply

Latest