The Student Room Group

entry requirements for uni

Hello,

I hope you are doing well

I am writing this because I will be applying to universities from 2023-2024, and i want to ask you about entry requirements for Accounting and Finance at UOB. So, the entry requirements for A level is AAA, and my predicted grades are AAA and I am sure that I will get AAA at the end, or even higher. One of my A-level subjects is business, which links heavily to accounting. The other two are sociology and history.

However, I do not meet the entry requirements for GCSE - I got a 5 in gcse maths, not a 7, however i was very close to a grade 6, which is the grade needed if i use a pathway to apply. Actually, yr11 was a tough time for me, in terms of my personal life, as reflected in my maths grade - but i got good in my other subjects - one 9 and 4 7's.

I really want to come to UOB and do this course, so is there any chance for me to get in? I've done a lot of work experience - that links directly and indirectly with the accounting course. From year 10 till now (the end of yr12), i've worked for 5 weeks at a professional accounting firm - and I have certificates to prove this. On top of this, I've almost completed the DOFE award (I just have the expedition left), and I done volunteering work (helping my siblings with their homework every week), learnt a new skill (cooking), and went to the gym every week for 6 months as part of this award. Im planning to do even more work experience at an accounting firm, because it has hugely benefitted me since I've learnt quite a lot about the basics of accounting. Please let me know if there is any way that I can do Accounting and Finance at UOB, because it's one of my dream universities, and i'm just so confused on whether there is any point of even applying or not.
Reply 1
There is always a point in applying and I think that if you prove your capabilities with a strong personal statement then it will, in tandem with your strong predicted grades, give you a very strong application, making the GCSE grades seem insignificant. This is especially since you seem to have done well in that regard other than the grade 5
Reply 2
Original post by ronweasley127
Hello,

I am writing this because I will be applying to universities from 2023-2024, and i want to ask you about entry requirements for Accounting and Finance at UOB. So, the entry requirements for A level is AAA, and my predicted grades are AAA and I am sure that I will get AAA at the end, or even higher. One of my A-level subjects is business, which links heavily to accounting. The other two are sociology and history.

However, I do not meet the entry requirements for GCSE - I got a 5 in gcse maths, not a 7, however i was very close to a grade 6, which is the grade needed if i use a pathway to apply. Actually, yr11 was a tough time for me, in terms of my personal life, as reflected in my maths grade - but i got good in my other subjects - one 9 and 4 7's.

I really want to come to UOB and do this course, so is there any chance for me to get in? I've done a lot of work experience - that links directly and indirectly with the accounting course. From year 10 till now (the end of yr12), i've worked for 5 weeks at a professional accounting firm - and I have certificates to prove this. On top of this, I've almost completed the DOFE award (I just have the expedition left), and I done volunteering work (helping my siblings with their homework every week), learnt a new skill (cooking), and went to the gym every week for 6 months as part of this award. Im planning to do even more work experience at an accounting firm, because it has hugely benefitted me since I've learnt quite a lot about the basics of accounting. Please let me know if there is any way that I can do Accounting and Finance at UOB, because it's one of my dream universities, and i'm just so confused on whether there is any point of even applying or not.

Is there a way you could retake maths GCSE? In November or even at the same time as your A levels, as then at least you have a predicted grade and you won't get automatically rejected. I would say it depends on who else is applying to that course, as if everyone else applying has the right GCSE grades and the same or higher predicted grades than you, it is likely they will just automatically reject you (happened to one of my friends for one of their choices)
Reply 3
Original post by mmsilim
There is always a point in applying and I think that if you prove your capabilities with a strong personal statement then it will, in tandem with your strong predicted grades, give you a very strong application, making the GCSE grades seem insignificant. This is especially since you seem to have done well in that regard other than the grade 5

thank you so much for giving me this hope lmao i really needed it tbh. i emailed uni of birmingham hopefully they reply but like u said i will definitely consider applying :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by juicygcse
Is there a way you could retake maths GCSE? In November or even at the same time as your A levels, as then at least you have a predicted grade and you won't get automatically rejected. I would say it depends on who else is applying to that course, as if everyone else applying has the right GCSE grades and the same or higher predicted grades than you, it is likely they will just automatically reject you (happened to one of my friends for one of their choices)

honestly i really want to retake but my parents say its useless in doing so. aston university only asks for a grade 5 in maths and they say to me just focus on your a-levels and go there, but i just have such a strong desire to study in uni of birmingham... apparently accounting and finance is not a competitive couse unlike medicine law etc cuz more ppl do apprenticeships instead of uni, so i just hope that i have a chance
Reply 5
thank you so much for giving me this hope lmao i really needed it tbh. i emailed uni of birmingham hopefully they reply but like u said i will definitely consider applying :smile:

Hopefully it all goes well for you 🙏 believe me in was in a similar boat. In year 12 I was on Cs and I got an injury which left me out of sixth form for about a month before the end of year exams but I managed to get A*AA predicted so in all honestly you can change your situation in any time just make sure you make a very competitive application and most unis will want you
Reply 6
Original post by mmsilim
Hopefully it all goes well for you 🙏 believe me in was in a similar boat. In year 12 I was on Cs and I got an injury which left me out of sixth form for about a month before the end of year exams but I managed to get A*AA predicted so in all honestly you can change your situation in any time just make sure you make a very competitive application and most unis will want you

ah i hope ur much better now, wow those are amazing predicted grades!! tysm, i will definitely make my application as best as i can :smile:
Hello,

GCSE entry requirements are usually not negotiable so retake it alongside your A levels.
Reply 8
Hello,

GCSE’s are basic entry requirements. The course is popular and requires the students to be very at ease with this level of maths so imo you will be running a very high risk of being filtered out of the applicant pool before they even consider the rest of your application. Just redo it so that any offer will include the gcse as a condition.

Quick Reply

Latest