The Student Room Group

Top Uni Clearing

I have a feeling that this year there will be places in clearing for all unis. except Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and UCL. Oxford and CB because they would have top candidates. LSE because they have conditioned their offers 2 grades below published entry requirements. UCL because it is not interested in domestic students (35k international student fee).

The published entry requirement was way too high and seem to be based on 2020-22 years results.

Discuss.
I don't think it'll be significantly different from a 'normal' year. Most unis will have adjusted their offer rates to take into account the wider expected spread of grades.

And most unis end up participating in clearing to some degree in any case.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
I don't think it'll be significantly different from a 'normal' year. Most unis will have adjusted their offer rates to take into account the wider expected spread of grades.

And most unis end up participating in clearing to some degree in any case.

LSE and Bristol entry requirements stated A*AA but if the spreadsheet of offers are correct, many offers were conditioned at AAB.

If other unis. did not make that change, they will not get sufficient number of A*AAs

Entry requirement at this point looks so ridiculous and seem to be only based on predicted grades and not actual offer grades.
Original post by Sgcheam
LSE and Bristol entry requirements stated A*AA but if the spreadsheet of offers are correct, many offers were conditioned at AAB.

If other unis. did not make that change, they will not get sufficient number of A*AAs

Entry requirement at this point looks so ridiculous and seem to be only based on predicted grades and not actual offer grades.

The majority of courses in the UK will accept people one grade below, and often two. That's not uncommon and there are several factors why unis set their typical offers as they do.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
The majority of courses in the UK will accept people one grade below, and often two. That's not uncommon and there are several factors why unis set their typical offers as they do.

Probably true.

unis. should publish actual entry requirement, many students are disadvantaged when they advertise much higher requirement as they are dissuaded from applying.

The practice seems so dodgy and unethical.
Original post by Sgcheam
Probably true.

unis. should publish actual entry requirement, many students are disadvantaged when they advertise much higher requirement as they are dissuaded from applying.

The practice seems so dodgy and unethical.

Ultimately unis don't know precisely where the cutoff of actual grades will be. They can only determine whether they have any leeway when they process AL results a week before students receive them. I disagree that the typical offers are much higher than the accepted grades though, one or two grades at the most is very much the norm.

The only way to have less obscure system is to move to post-qualification applications, which has been fielded on and off for many years but would require significant upheaval.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending