The Student Room Group
Main entrance
Glyndwr University, Wrexham
Visit website

How do you find Wrexham Glyndwr?

Thinking of studying a Bsc in Psychology from there. The research department seems pretty nice and the course content in general seems great too.

The uni is obviously smaller and has mixed reviews, so slightly confused about how good Wrexham is as far as uni life goes, I know it's not too far from Manchester and what not. How is the university when it comes to accomodation, support, post grad job placement assistance, etc.?

Overall, would you recommend the university?
Reply 1
Original post by Vib_A
Thinking of studying a Bsc in Psychology from there. The research department seems pretty nice and the course content in general seems great too.

The uni is obviously smaller and has mixed reviews, so slightly confused about how good Wrexham is as far as uni life goes, I know it's not too far from Manchester and what not. How is the university when it comes to accomodation, support, post grad job placement assistance, etc.?

Hey!
I'm looking to study Occupation Therapy at Wrexham. I know of people who have gone to the university and sung the praises of the support and teaching quality. Especially with there being smaller cohorts in comparison to larger universities. I'm not sure how good the uni is regarding the lifestyle or accommodation, however I haven`t heard many complaints from the people who have gone to this university.

I'm very happy to be going to Wrexham as I did have the option to go to Salford. I had great experiences on the open days and positive feedback from the uni in general with the staff. ( they were so friendly and couldn`t do enough to help me)

I would most certainly recommend this university. Its the best in the country for its teaching quality, and students have given over 90% in satisfaction. So I think those figures speak for themselves!

Good luck in making your decision

Jackie
Main entrance
Glyndwr University, Wrexham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jackiilou
Hey!
I'm looking to study Occupation Therapy at Wrexham. I know of people who have gone to the university and sung the praises of the support and teaching quality. Especially with there being smaller cohorts in comparison to larger universities. I'm not sure how good the uni is regarding the lifestyle or accommodation, however I haven`t heard many complaints from the people who have gone to this university.

I'm very happy to be going to Wrexham as I did have the option to go to Salford. I had great experiences on the open days and positive feedback from the uni in general with the staff. ( they were so friendly and couldn`t do enough to help me)

I would most certainly recommend this university. Its the best in the country for its teaching quality, and students have given over 90% in satisfaction. So I think those figures speak for themselves!

Good luck in making your decision

Jackie

Thanks for the reply! Really nice to hear that you went to the open day and found the university nice, that helps with my decision to study there. Any particular points about the university you wanna share that you found exceptionally nice?

I've been having such a hard time getting through to admissions and have been ringing them up every other day trying to speak to someone from the admissions department but keep getting sent to voicemail, its become so frustrating to get through to them to the point that i'm considering prioritising another university over them. But i still have my hopes up so im gonna give it one more week of attempting to get through to them.
Reply 3
Original post by Vib_A
Thanks for the reply! Really nice to hear that you went to the open day and found the university nice, that helps with my decision to study there. Any particular points about the university you wanna share that you found exceptionally nice?

I've been having such a hard time getting through to admissions and have been ringing them up every other day trying to speak to someone from the admissions department but keep getting sent to voicemail, its become so frustrating to get through to them to the point that i'm considering prioritising another university over them. But i still have my hopes up so im gonna give it one more week of attempting to get through to them.

Hey!
I think at this particular point in time, they will be exceptionally busy. I wouldn't base your decision solely on the difficulty trying to contact admissions. I've had better luck getting in touch with admissions through email. However, that has been delayed recently but the lady was very apologetic.
I felt so welcomed at Wrexham and the lecturers seemed so down to Earth and "Real" if that makes sense. There was great emphasis on how we weren't just a number and they like to get to know the student on a more personal level. Also inclusion is an important factor to them, and they do everything they can to give extra support when needed. This is vital for me as I have a disabity.
I found I came away from Wrexham with a warm glow and an inner feeling that this was the university I wanted to go to. A lady I spoke to recently who is finishing her first year studying to be a paramedic at Wrexham, said she couldn't be happier and definitely made the right choice.
I hope that helps in some way with your decision process. You will know when you've made the right choice. It kinda just feels right. Good luck!

Jackie :-)
Reply 4
Worth checking out the online open day coming up.
You've likely picked the time to speak to admissions when staff might be taking holidays ahead of a busy time (are you planning to apply through clearing or is this about getting ready for the standard applications cycle or ???)

Glyndwr is a small university (feels almost like a big secondary school) in a small city with glorious countryside nearby. Liverpool is the nearest and most accessible big city (still not particularly close, but close enough for day trips) There are not lots of fancy new buildings on campus.

We found them friendly and thoughtful - subject tutor was clearly clued up on inclusion, the provision of a voucher for a free meal for the prospective student was a really nice inclusive touch, minibuses were provided to get to our relevant school (which is fairly easy walking distance but saves time and saves fatigue)

Watching 'Welcome to Wrexham' would be no bad thing to do as research and we were led through the Wrexham FC car park to reach the single (albeit large) accommodation block... which has a view into the ground so if you are a fan of the relevant Hollywood stars, the programme or football, that's a trivial but fun plus. The accommodation was at the better end of what I've seen generally.

The questions in my mind are 1) if you are looking for a standard student experience, how many students are resident and how many living at home? I have the impression that a *lot* of students live at home and travel in (partly as they have a high number of mature students but not entirely) but I don't have numbers on this 2) very small numbers on courses (perhaps not such an issue for psychology although people have lots of choice of university for that if not constrained by geography) This has its advantages but makes for unpredictability of student experience, low staff numbers... and then you are extra vulnerable to staff changes/absences.

Don't just be looking at one university unless you are constrained by personal circumstances.
Original post by Vib_A

I have just finished my second year at Wrexham Uni studying Animal Behaviour and Conservation. I have had a really good experience here in terms of teaching quality and support. The university is small, but that comes with its advantages, If you need help with an assignment or support with something more personal such as mental health issues, you will get help with it almost immediately ( the same day or next). I know of some people who have gone to large universities and have been expected to wait 6 weeks for help with an assignment. The campus is small, but has everything you need in terms of facilities to assist you with your studies, it is right next to the train station which has easy routes to Chester and Liverpool, and lots of shops near by. The campus is currently undergoing 'Campus 25' an £80million project to enhance the campus and facilities. So if you will be studying in 2025 you will be able to take advantage of this, there's more info on the website about this. If you are thinking of studying in Wrexham I would advise going to an open day and speaking to a lecturer about your course and fellow students.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep
Reply 6
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
I have just finished my second year at Wrexham Uni studying Animal Behaviour and Conservation. I have had a really good experience here in terms of teaching quality and support. The university is small, but that comes with its advantages, If you need help with an assignment or support with something more personal such as mental health issues, you will get help with it almost immediately ( the same day or next). I know of some people who have gone to large universities and have been expected to wait 6 weeks for help with an assignment. The campus is small, but has everything you need in terms of facilities to assist you with your studies, it is right next to the train station which has easy routes to Chester and Liverpool, and lots of shops near by. The campus is currently undergoing 'Campus 25' an £80million project to enhance the campus and facilities. So if you will be studying in 2025 you will be able to take advantage of this, there's more info on the website about this. If you are thinking of studying in Wrexham I would advise going to an open day and speaking to a lecturer about your course and fellow students.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Hi Victoria,

Are the Wrexham online courses in MSc any good?
Also, do the Wrexham Uni Lecturers teach the online courses?
I'm find it hard to find this information above from anywhere.

Kind Regards
Lee
Original post by friendl74
Hi Victoria,

Are the Wrexham online courses in MSc any good?
Also, do the Wrexham Uni Lecturers teach the online courses?
I'm find it hard to find this information above from anywhere.

Kind Regards
Lee

Hi Lee,

Which course are you interested in specifically and I will see If I can get you the information you are after.

Thanks,

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending