The Student Room Group

So awkward around my parents

When I go out with my mates or by myself I am pretty darn confident. I can easily make small talk with shopkeepers etc.

But when I go out with my parents to buy and try on shoes I just get so red faced and embarassed and awkward.

It sucks because my parents must think im a weirdo.
There's literally no one else in the world that's known you for as long as your parents/ They brought you into this world, they changed your diapers for years, bathed you and put you to bed at night. Even if you dont have a great relationship with your parents I dont see why you should have any reason to feel awkward and uncomfortable around the two people that you should feel the most comfortable with. This might imply some deeper issues in the relationship with your parents or just simply reflects something about you and whatever strange reason you have for feeling awkward.

In my entire life, despite my bad history with my parents, I have never experienced awkwardness with any of my immediate family. It should be impossible to have awkward silence or feel awkward with people you've spent your entire life being around, did you not spend much time around them growing up? You clearly feel more comfortable and familiar being around your friends than you do with your parents - nothing wrong with that but I do find it unfortunate.
Original post by Anonymous
When I go out with my mates or by myself I am pretty darn confident. I can easily make small talk with shopkeepers etc.

But when I go out with my parents to buy and try on shoes I just get so red faced and embarassed and awkward.

It sucks because my parents must think im a weirdo.

LOL just remember that your parents are your friends, they are probably more friends with you than your friends are friends with you. Be yourself around them
I have this but with my eldest siblings and my dad ..
Reply 4
sounds like your parents are the weirdos
Original post by insert-username
There's literally no one else in the world that's known you for as long as your parents/ They brought you into this world, they changed your diapers for years, bathed you and put you to bed at night. Even if you dont have a great relationship with your parents I dont see why you should have any reason to feel awkward and uncomfortable around the two people that you should feel the most comfortable with. This might imply some deeper issues in the relationship with your parents or just simply reflects something about you and whatever strange reason you have for feeling awkward.

In my entire life, despite my bad history with my parents, I have never experienced awkwardness with any of my immediate family. It should be impossible to have awkward silence or feel awkward with people you've spent your entire life being around, did you not spend much time around them growing up? You clearly feel more comfortable and familiar being around your friends than you do with your parents - nothing wrong with that but I do find it unfortunate.

This. I don't get on with either of my parents but embarrassment isn't an emotion I feel around them. Probably because they know **** all about what's going on in my life so I have nothing to be awkward about.
I relate, and the problem is that they take that and assume I’m unable to handle myself.
It could be because I know I’m being tested, and when we get home they will go on at length about every mistake I made, e.g. not talking enough. But things like that usually happen because my parents are extremely talkative, so they’ll start talking before I get the chance to and go on, leaving no spaces, asking everything so there’s nothing left to say.
Whereas with friends I’m the one they get to ask people things and I have no problem.
I can be commented on as mature, practical, clever, well-composed etc
But around parents I regress in my perceived maturity and confidence.
I have an event tomorrow where they’ll be coming as well, and I feel nervous about it because of past situations.
So to prepare, I’m making a plan/layout of an especially assertive character to put on, practising my voice, having a few lines ready/imaging conversations, and I just have to be really really fast to butt in before my parents start talking. But then I have to keep up the pace too, before they butt in mid-pauses.
Any small gap is a danger.
I’ll drink lots of coffee too and try to dress more formal (I have a young-face which casual wear draws further attention to).
So that’s that.
If a challenge won’t budge for you, defeat it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending