The Student Room Group

I really dislike my mother in law?

Well future mother in law ( maybe)

She isn’t directly nasty to me but she treats me like I’m a non-person. Whenever we go round with my boyfriend she only ever talks to him and kind of just completely ignores me at the table. When we first told her we were moving in together she was absolutely angry and told my boyfriend to **** off’… this is the kind of person I’m dealing with here.

Also she’s a hairdresser ( mobile) but I know she is extremely busy so I went to my usual salon ( the one I went to before I met her) and when she notices I had a haircut from there she completely got angry and ignored me for the evening. She is beyond immature, and self absorbed. All she ever talks about is my boyfriend and what they did growing up. We said we’re going to the Cotsworlds instead
Of if that’s nice’ it’s remember when I took you up there’ she’s just so so obsessed with him but at the expense of not noticing my existence. Whenever she texts me it’s only ever to know when my boyfriend has a day off, or whether he can fix her car.

It annoys me cos my parents genuinely like my boyfriend and treat him with equal amounts of respect as they do for me.

Yesterday I straight up told my boyfriend I love him but I really dislike his mother and suggested perhaps I don’t see her until he maybe has a word to highland how she’s coming across. I always feel so uncomfortable at dinner.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Well future mother in law ( maybe)

She isn’t directly nasty to me but she treats me like I’m a non-person. Whenever we go round with my boyfriend she only ever talks to him and kind of just completely ignores me at the table. When we first told her we were moving in together she was absolutely angry and told my boyfriend to **** off’… this is the kind of person I’m dealing with here.

Also she’s a hairdresser ( mobile) but I know she is extremely busy so I went to my usual salon ( the one I went to before I met her) and when she notices I had a haircut from there she completely got angry and ignored me for the evening. She is beyond immature, and self absorbed. All she ever talks about is my boyfriend and what they did growing up. We said we’re going to the Cotsworlds instead
Of if that’s nice’ it’s remember when I took you up there’ she’s just so so obsessed with him but at the expense of not noticing my existence. Whenever she texts me it’s only ever to know when my boyfriend has a day off, or whether he can fix her car.

It annoys me cos my parents genuinely like my boyfriend and treat him with equal amounts of respect as they do for me.

Yesterday I straight up told my boyfriend I love him but I really dislike his mother and suggested perhaps I don’t see her until he maybe has a word to highland how she’s coming across. I always feel so uncomfortable at dinner.

It sounds like you're dealing with a challenging situation, and it's understandable that you're feeling frustrated and uncomfortable. It's important to communicate your feelings openly and honestly with your boyfriend. Let him know how his mother's behavior affects you and how it makes you feel excluded or ignored. It might be helpful for him to have a conversation with his mother about the way she treats you and express the importance of respect and inclusion.

Setting boundaries and discussing your concerns as a couple can be a step towards finding a resolution. It's essential to approach the conversation calmly and respectfully, emphasizing that you care about your relationship with him and want to work through any difficulties together.

Remember that building a relationship with your partner's family takes time and effort. In some cases, there may be ongoing challenges, but open communication and understanding can help navigate these situations. Ultimately, prioritizing your well-being and finding a balance that works for both you and your boyfriend is key.
Reply 2
It’s normal. Mothers of sons tend to be pretty treacherous for the person that steals their little boy away

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending