The Student Room Group

ELAT 2023 question

Can someone who has taken the ELAT confirm if it’s a paper based test or done via a computer as the Oxford website gives conflicting information and they even emailed me to say it’s computer based. I assumed it was a paper based test.
Reply 1
Oxford admissions tests have changed a lot in the past few years - it may well have been paper based a few admissions cycles ago but recently there’s been a shift to computer based. You have been specifically told it is computer based and the website also clearly states it’s computer based - I would go with that! Past papers might suggest it is paper based but the most up to date info says it’s computer based. You can still use those past papers - the format might be outdated but the website says the content isn’t.
Reply 2
Original post by eeeli
Oxford admissions tests have changed a lot in the past few years - it may well have been paper based a few admissions cycles ago but recently there’s been a shift to computer based. You have been specifically told it is computer based and the website also clearly states it’s computer based - I would go with that! Past papers might suggest it is paper based but the most up to date info says it’s computer based. You can still use those past papers - the format might be outdated but the website says the content isn’t.

However it says on this it’s paper. I have emailed again for clarification. I was also wondering how it was done last year. I’m awful at typing etc so if it’s computer based I’m screwed. I write better than I type. https://www.english.ox.ac.uk/advice-taking-english-literature-admissions-test-elat
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
However it says on this it’s paper. I have emailed again for clarification. I was also wondering how it was done last year. I’m awful at typing etc so if it’s computer based I’m screwed. I write better than I type. https://www.english.ox.ac.uk/advice-taking-english-literature-admissions-test-elat

I think the English fac website is probably out of date, the info about test dates and stuff is from 2022 and they’ve not got past papers from after 2020. Go with what they say in response to your email (and hopefully your confusion will prompt the English fac to update their website lol). If it is computer based, don’t worry - you’ve got plenty of time to practice your typing skills before exam time comes around so don’t be too defeatist about it, I don’t think you’re screwed!
Reply 4
Original post by eeeli
I think the English fac website is probably out of date, the info about test dates and stuff is from 2022 and they’ve not got past papers from after 2020. Go with what they say in response to your email (and hopefully your confusion will prompt the English fac to update their website lol). If it is computer based, don’t worry - you’ve got plenty of time to practice your typing skills before exam time comes around so don’t be too defeatist about it, I don’t think you’re screwed!

Thank you, I plan to do a lot of practice typing over the summer on past papers. All I can do is try my best. It’s just unfortunate they have changed it and when I perform better when I’m writing on paper. Never ever had to do any tests online so I’m at a huge disadvantage already…. Sigh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending