The Student Room Group

feeling lost at the end of year 12.

I’m a year into my a levels, and just feel so confused and overwhelmed about the future. I’m meant to be writing my ps, but I don’t even know what I want to do. I was set on psych for a while, but seeing how competitive it is, and how everyone says it’s useless, I just don’t know if it’s worth it. I’ve tried countless career quizzes, done research on different paths and still haven’t gotten any clarity- i’ve even attended open days and taster lectures. I’ve worked hard throughout the year, got my 3A* predicted, but i’m frankly burnt out and all the stress of uni is just adding to it. Should I still apply for uni this year (meant to be applying for oxbridge aswell), and if I’m uncertain just take a gap year to figure things out?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a year into my a levels, and just feel so confused and overwhelmed about the future. I’m meant to be writing my ps, but I don’t even know what I want to do. I was set on psych for a while, but seeing how competitive it is, and how everyone says it’s useless, I just don’t know if it’s worth it. I’ve tried countless career quizzes, done research on different paths and still haven’t gotten any clarity- i’ve even attended open days and taster lectures. I’ve worked hard throughout the year, got my 3A* predicted, but i’m frankly burnt out and all the stress of uni is just adding to it. Should I still apply for uni this year (meant to be applying for oxbridge aswell), and if I’m uncertain just take a gap year to figure things out?

Honestly, I’d recommend you pick a course you would genuinely enjoy (i.e pick the subject you love the most). If that course is psychology, then pick psychology- you can ignore other people’s stupid and irrelevant opinions.

Considering how good your predicted grades are and how hard you’ve worked, competition shouldn’t be enough of a concern to sway any of your decisions - after all, nothing ventured is nothing gained.

Having taken a gap year myself, I can recommend taking one - provided you use it well and wisely. Work experience etc are well worth considering should you take this route.

However, I’d say it’s generally best to make an application this year. If you do get any offers that you don’t want to lose out on, but still want to take a gap year, you can always try to defer said offers.
Reply 2

Omg this is literally me rn😭 I’m so stressed about writing a personal statement and I’m the same with psych too!! I’d defo say apply this year tho cos then u can always defer ur offer (if that uni allows it) cos u could always take a gap year to travel or work.
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalNerd
Honestly, I’d recommend you pick a course you would genuinely enjoy (i.e pick the subject you love the most). If that course is psychology, then pick psychology- you can ignore other people’s stupid and irrelevant opinions.

Considering how good your predicted grades are and how hard you’ve worked, competition shouldn’t be enough of a concern to sway any of your decisions - after all, nothing ventured is nothing gained.

Having taken a gap year myself, I can recommend taking one - provided you use it well and wisely. Work experience etc are well worth considering should you take this route.

However, I’d say it’s generally best to make an application this year. If you do get any offers that you don’t want to lose out on, but still want to take a gap year, you can always try to defer said offers.

thank you for your response :smile:
would you say your gap year was worth it then? I think I will go forward with applying, and consider deferring if necessary!
Reply 4
Original post by Mishaaaa
Omg this is literally me rn😭 I’m so stressed about writing a personal statement and I’m the same with psych too!! I’d defo say apply this year tho cos then u can always defer ur offer (if that uni allows it) cos u could always take a gap year to travel or work.

ah glad to know i’m not alone in this!!!! Yes I think that sounds like the best option atm thanks!
thank you for your response :smile:
would you say your gap year was worth it then? I think I will go forward with applying, and consider deferring if necessary!

It absolutely was worth it. I used it productively and broadened my skill set, making my uni application much stronger this time round than the last.

It’s potentially a year free of examinations (assuming you don’t resit any A levels or take any new ones) in which you can work on things that will look good on your cv.
I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place in the forums. On desktop, if you hover over My TSR and click on All Forums under the Quick Links heading, this will show you all the available forums. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest