The Student Room Group

Oxford PPE GCSEs

Are my GCSEs good enough for Oxford?
3A* predicted
Score of 85 on TSA section 1
Strong personal statement

Will my GCSEs significantly reduce my chance of an offer. And to what extend do they contextualise the grades. I went to a bottom hundred school where results were terrible - would this help. Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
3A* predicted

Will my GCSEs significantly reduce my chance of an offer. And to what extend do they contextualise the grades. I went to a bottom hundred school where results were terrible - would this help. Thanks

To put it simply, you are fine.

8’s and 9’s are viewed as equivalent, so you should be fine there. They probably will contextualise your results anyway in light of how your school performed and that will count in your favour.

Just keep up the excellent work and if you get in, great. It’s because the admissions team thinks you will cope well with the learning style. If not, it wasn’t meant to be and you’ll excel elsewhere.
Reply 2
3A* predicted

Which degree?

How do you know the school is in the bottom hundred? No league tables were published.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Which degree?
How do you know the school is in the bottom hundred? No league tables were published.

PPE, and a site called Snobe
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
To put it simply, you are fine.

8’s and 9’s are viewed as equivalent, so you should be fine there. They probably will contextualise your results anyway in light of how your school performed and that will count in your favour.

Just keep up the excellent work and if you get in, great. It’s because the admissions team thinks you will cope well with the learning style. If not, it wasn’t meant to be and you’ll excel elsewhere.

thank you, that’s very helpful. I appreciate it
3A* predicted

I think they take your GCSEs in context (maybe they have some way to see whether you are in the top x% of your school?)
3A* predicted

These extremely good GCSEs…what are you on about?
Reply 7
PPE, and a site called Snobe

That's not the DfE performance site which is what unis use so it's worthless.
Reply 8
Original post by eilnabrmnat
These extremely good GCSEs…what are you on about?

Compared to the straight 9s I see from people admitted they aren’t as great. But thank you, I’m not trying to be ignorant and if I seemed to be it’s not what I intended.
Reply 9
That's not the DfE performance site which is what unis use so it's worthless.

Ah ok fair enough. Still, it’s been rated inadequate so it’s definitely bad
Ah ok fair enough. Still, it’s been rated inadequate so it’s definitely bad

They might then be suspicious of your predictions ... how many students got A* in those subjects last year?
Reply 11
They might then be suspicious of your predictions ... how many students got A* in those subjects last year?

I do Maths, Economics and History.

Maths there’s a high number of people with an A* prediction (it’s a school focused on STEM so it typically does very well)

For History, out of 40 people, there’s probably 10 with an A*

Economics I think there’s only about 5 out of 40

Is this what you mean? I attend a different sixth form so hopefully they attribute my progress to that
I do Maths, Economics and History.

Maths there’s a high number of people with an A* prediction (it’s a school focused on STEM so it typically does very well)

For History, out of 40 people, there’s probably 10 with an A*

Economics I think there’s only about 5 out of 40

Is this what you mean? I attend a different sixth form so hopefully they attribute my progress to that

You did not say that - so your A levels will be judged differently. I meant 2022 resultts - not predictions but that's not relevant if you've moved schools.
Reply 13
You did not say that - so your A levels will be judged differently. I meant 2022 resultts - not predictions but that's not relevant if you've moved schools.

Ah right okay thanks
Ah right okay thanks

I think it's certainly worth a shot :smile:

Keep practising the TSA
Reply 15
I think it's certainly worth a shot :smile:

Keep practising the TSA

Fingers crossed. hopefully I can up it a little bit - the problem solving is the aspect I need to improve a bit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending