The Student Room Group

What happens if I miss my Med School grades?

very worried I won't meet the offer for both my firm and insurance choices. If I'm really close to the grades is there a chance they might be lenient? If not what do I do because I really don't want to have to take a gap year?
(Moved to the medicine forum where you should get some more specific advice.)
Reply 2
No one can tell you this. This is just a situation that is no longer in your power to control. Best thing you can do is set aside a reasonable amount of hope and then invest your remaining energy in planning the best contingency plan imaginable. Apply for a job you wouldn’t otherwise look at. Dare to look at alternatives. Sign up to volunteer. Make the alternative to med school something you’d actually miss if you got in and something you’d actually really want to do. Take back control of a situation where you currently have none and you will hopefully feel better.
Original post by CommonIsotope
very worried I won't meet the offer for both my firm and insurance choices. If I'm really close to the grades is there a chance they might be lenient? If not what do I do because I really don't want to have to take a gap year?

I think there are probably a fair few people feeling the same way! As others have said, it is out of your control unfortunately. You will know from UCAS what the position is on results day.

it’s my understanding that med schools/ unis will have had the results for a week or so and are likely to have already considered any flexibilities they may have.

the positive thing is that you have an offer for med now, and it sounds like you have an insurance offer too, so you know you can do the application process and that you presented well at interview. That is a really big confidence boost.

the reality is that if somebody misses their grades and doesn’t make their offer then they have a number of choices. Key amongst that is whether to apply for medicine next year or not. As you know, if you do want to you will need to sit UCAT/BMAT. If UCAT the September sitting get full quickly/ go very fast after results day. If you really think you might need to apply next year, then if you can draw the money together now, book a UCAT test at a suitable time now. Just in case. You can cancel and get your money back when you don’t need it or want it. Better this than wanting it, and not being able to book it. T&cs on their website.

the rest about dont borrow trouble, and wait and see, and productive gap years can be an amazing thing, you know all that. UCAT booking is a reasonable backup plan in the interim.

lots of people do it. So there is a lot of movement immediately after results, but if they don’t go the way you hope it’s good to have something firm to work towards at a time that suits you and not feel pressured to book then.

This doesn’t box you into taking a gap year to apply again if you don’t want to. It just helps you keep your options open until you do decide.

I hope that it goes the way you want it to.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending