The Student Room Group

Would marriage last if you get married at 22?

I know someone in my school who went out with a boy when we were 14 and I heard she's getting married now. At the age of 14 or during teen years, not many "relationships" last but theirs did.
Original post by Anonymous
I know someone in my school who went out with a boy when we were 14 and I heard she's getting married now. At the age of 14 or during teen years, not many "relationships" last but theirs did.

The most obvious answer to this is that clearly it will if they’ve known each other since the age of 14 having went out with one and other, then they are inseparable.
Reply 2
Could end in a messy divorce yet
Maybe.
Depends how committed and compatible the couple are.
nowadays unlikely since women can always choose a better looking, taller and higher status man
A soon marriage in a young age cannot guarantee that it will not ends up in a divorce.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6

It can but only if they place value on commitment and loyalty.

I worked with somebody who met at 13 and 16 respectively and now around 30, they are still together. It was honestly kind of inspirational, I've generally not lasted more than a few months.

The problem today is that modern men are often a bit weak and don't properly illustrate the terms of the relationship that they expect (equality in a relationship is not allowing your girlfriend to dictate terms).

Equally, modern women are much more fickle and don't place the same value on loyalty. They have also been taught by feminism to place their needs first and so struggle to put the needs of the relationship before their own (see the male point).

I tend to believe that love exists though and statistically, there a few gems out there (both men and women young) even amongst the tide of mediocrity.
Original post by Rakas21
The problem today is that modern men are often a bit weak and don't properly illustrate the terms of the relationship that they expect (equality in a relationship is not allowing your girlfriend to dictate terms).

Equally, modern women are much more fickle and don't place the same value on loyalty. They have also been taught by feminism to place their needs first and so struggle to put the needs of the relationship before their own (see the male point).

Source?

And define 'modern'. If you nean in current times, I'm a woman and am in a long-term relationship. I've got family celebrating big wedding anniversaries. How's that fit with your theories?
Original post by turbo mogger
nowadays unlikely since women can always choose a better looking, taller and higher status man

Women can also choose someone they love, who isn't necessarily better-looking, taller or of higher status. Or even a man...
I got married at 21 and am still happily married at 68.
Reply 10
Source?

And define 'modern'. If you nean in current times, I'm a woman and am in a long-term relationship. I've got family celebrating big wedding anniversaries. How's that fit with your theories?

The thread is primarily talking about those who meet and marry young so let's say they need to meet 23 or younger.

The source is a combination of personal experience and observation combined with the steady statistical creep in the average marriage age. We simply no longer live in a nation where this is not abnormal.
Original post by tiny hobbit
I got married at 21 and am still happily married at 68.

So you have your golden anniversary in three years. Nonetheless it is an individual decision that no one can take for someone. Should be thought carefully.
Original post by Kallisto
So you have your golden anniversary in three years. Nonetheless it is an individual decision that no one can take for someone. Should be thought carefully.

Agreed. Sharing a sense of humour and being prepared for some compromise are important features to my mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending