The Student Room Group

how is the HAT marked?

i’m planning on applying to history & politics at oxford and want to take mock HAT tests, but I have no idea how to specifically mark and give myself points. Is each of the high level indicators worth a certain amount of points that i then add, and vice versa for low indicators?
Reply 1
I don’t think there is really any way you could mark it yourself. It’s like marking an essay - ultimately the number the marker comes up with is going to be subjective and impressionistic to an extent. Looking at how many of the different indicators you’ve hit should of course give you a rough idea of how you’ve done, and you could show your answers to your history teachers if you want another opinion on what level you’re working at, but on the whole I’m not sure there’s too much value in trying to put a specific number on your practice papers.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ananas01
i’m planning on applying to history & politics at oxford and want to take mock HAT tests, but I have no idea how to specifically mark and give myself points. Is each of the high level indicators worth a certain amount of points that i then add, and vice versa for low indicators?

no point in trying to give it a specific mark, use the indicators in the mark scheme to see if you've interpreted the source well, which is the main thing they're looking for . If you've not already found it, Jesus College have a brilliant channel on yt with a video detailing what makes a good HAT there, I used that to begin to work out how to structure my points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending