The Student Room Group

personal statement - areas of interest

hi,

i was just looking for some advice regarding personal statement. obviously the main advice is to have areas of interest in your subject which you base your reading on - roughly how many areas of interest is a good number? i think my school have said 3 at some point, but i’m not sure. also, i’m applying for a joint degree, so would i have 3 areas of interest in each subject or 3 overall?

any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University.
More courses won't mind if they know what you have applied to a mixture of courses, 3 sounds like a good number, however you need to ensure that you have focus. A mixture of interest may not be a problem, and universities usually won't have a problem with it but being too broad may result in them not providing you with an offer. So just ensure that you allow yourself to show focus and knowledge within your personal statement, and be within the word limit, of course. With this you should be fine!

Best of luck!
Courtney H
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University.
More courses won't mind if they know what you have applied to a mixture of courses, 3 sounds like a good number, however you need to ensure that you have focus. A mixture of interest may not be a problem, and universities usually won't have a problem with it but being too broad may result in them not providing you with an offer. So just ensure that you allow yourself to show focus and knowledge within your personal statement, and be within the word limit, of course. With this you should be fine!

Best of luck!
Courtney H

Thanks for your advice! Just a question - as I mentioned in my original post, I am applying for a joint degree in two completely different disciplines, so when you say 3 sounds like a good number is that for one subject or overall?
Thanks again :smile:
Hello!
It's nice to hear from you again, I hope you're well!
In terms of join degrees this is a good number yes. In this respect I'd still recommend that you are just mindful of how much information you supply for each area of interest and you should be fine!

Kind regards and best wishes!
Courtney Hi
Hi there,
I think it is important to show your areas of interest and I agree that 3 seems like a good number. However, make sure that your personal statement has a focus so that the universities know what you are interested in. Also don't forget about the word count, make sure you don't use up all your words on one thing and then have no room for extra knowledge etc.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Med Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Original post by whyhello
hi,

i was just looking for some advice regarding personal statement. obviously the main advice is to have areas of interest in your subject which you base your reading on - roughly how many areas of interest is a good number? i think my school have said 3 at some point, but i’m not sure. also, i’m applying for a joint degree, so would i have 3 areas of interest in each subject or 3 overall?

any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending