The Student Room Group

How can I look a door from the outside

Last year my house wasn't too wild so no issues with people potentially going into my room, apart from guests mistaking it for a bathroom which or using the ensuite I luckily got.

Anyway this year in my new house and new housemates I feel like there a higher chance of having more people round. The doors do not have locks but I was wondering if there was anything I could get for the outside of the door when I am not there to look it? obviously as its student housing can't rely too much on then allowing up to install something
Original post by inquisiterFAQ
Last year my house wasn't too wild so no issues with people potentially going into my room, apart from guests mistaking it for a bathroom which or using the ensuite I luckily got.

Anyway this year in my new house and new housemates I feel like there a higher chance of having more people round. The doors do not have locks but I was wondering if there was anything I could get for the outside of the door when I am not there to look it? obviously as its student housing can't rely too much on then allowing up to install something

apart from a sign, not much. from the inside its super easy to install a latch or lock but from the outside youd probably need a proper lock

By putting a lock on the outside

Hello @inquisiterFAQ

Unfortunately, if there isn't a lock on the outside of your door then you won't be able to find a way to lock it from the outside without having to notify your landlords. Even if you convinced the agency to install locks on the outside of the doors you'd need to factor in the locksmiths required to make a new key for every bedroom, as well as for the construction of the locks themselves.

Aside from that, a sign would be the best option but that doesn't lock the room which is what you want I assume.

Best thing you can do is put trust in your flatmates that they won't go into your room when you're out.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending