The Student Room Group

Is this bullying?

I think some people on my team are just taking mocking me because I'm polite.

I was taught to say "thank you" and obvs please from my parents. To treat people equally

Whenever I would say "thank you" or "many thanks" in a message/email to two colleagues of mine in my team.

They would always end the message also with "many thanks" or would put a icon of the work thank you. I feel like they're mocking me and I feel a bit down tbh.

I don't feel I'm being too polite, I'm just trying to show good morals.

Is this bullying?
Do you know if they’re doing this to other members of the team or just you? If the latter then it could be classed as mild mockery although I’m not sure I’d go as far as saying that them simply writing “many thanks” is bullying, it doesn’t seem strong enough for that. Maybe change how you end the email. If I’m not thanking someone for what they did or asking for a request then I just sign off my emails with “Best” followed by my name.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Do you know if they’re doing this to other members of the team or just you? If the latter then it could be classed as mild mockery although I’m not sure I’d go as far as saying that them simply writing “many thanks” is bullying, it doesn’t seem strong enough for that. Maybe change how you end the email. If I’m not thanking someone for what they did or asking for a request then I just sign off my emails with “Best” followed by my name.

I feel it's only towards me, I'm mainly working for them. I don't see this happening with others
Original post by Anonymous
I feel it's only towards me, I'm mainly working for them. I don't see this happening with others

Are you adding “many thanks” to absolutely everything, even if it’s like a 2 word message?
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Are you adding “many thanks” to absolutely everything, even if it’s like a 2 word message?

No this would just be a few sentences long. That's how I would normally end an email, I feel its a mixture of being formal/informal.

I think I would end it with "Best....(Name)"
Original post by Anonymous
No this would just be a few sentences long. That's how I would normally end an email, I feel its a mixture of being formal/informal.

I think I would end it with "Best....(Name)"

Tbf “many thanks” is a very common ending to emails although if you’re sending lots a day, especially to the same small group of people it could get quite jarring having to read someone say thank you so many times and so often. Yes, if you’re worried about this and how they might be taking the mick then you could definitely change to a more neutral ending like “best”.
Reply 6
Do yourself a favour...... and stop giving a ****!

You are doing nothing wrong. You've clearly been brought up right.

Your only problem is *over thinking* ...

Stop that, ASAP!
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending