The Student Room Group

obsession

why do i keep sleeping with people, or talking to a bunch of people at once? i mean yeah it all started when me and my ex broke up. like he was the only person that i felt like understood me, actually took care of me, he made me happy yk? but since the break up ive been feeling empty and lonely and i just cant get over him. the opportunity came up to be with him again but im unsure as to what to do. what should i do? go back to him or try to fix myself on my own?
For the first part, I'm assuming you going around to others is just an attempt to rebound from your previous relationship. It would be good if you try to resist these behaviours because it's not healthy as it is and allowing it to continue risks in it escalating which can cause problems for you and your future relationships. It would be good to try distract yourself by spending time with friends or family instead, or just doing anything else that takes your mind off of things. Feeling empty or lonely after a break up is natural and it takes time, but you will feel better about it all sooner or later. In terms of getting back together with him, I'd say it primarily depends on why you broke up, but also it depends on your current mental health.
Reply 2
Original post by bloodyeclipse
For the first part, I'm assuming you going around to others is just an attempt to rebound from your previous relationship. It would be good if you try to resist these behaviours because it's not healthy as it is and allowing it to continue risks in it escalating which can cause problems for you and your future relationships. It would be good to try distract yourself by spending time with friends or family instead, or just doing anything else that takes your mind off of things. Feeling empty or lonely after a break up is natural and it takes time, but you will feel better about it all sooner or later. In terms of getting back together with him, I'd say it primarily depends on why you broke up, but also it depends on your current mental health.

well its been 7 months, and i still cant get over him, and he said apparently its the same with me. but why we woke up was because of my mental health. i was going through alot and got sent to a mental hospital, after that he stated he couldn't deal with my mental ****. so yeah, its been a while, and i am not sure what to do. im just trying to fill the void i have. i just wanna be loved by someone.
Original post by Anonymous
well its been 7 months, and i still cant get over him, and he said apparently its the same with me. but why we woke up was because of my mental health. i was going through alot and got sent to a mental hospital, after that he stated he couldn't deal with my mental ****. so yeah, its been a while, and i am not sure what to do. im just trying to fill the void i have. i just wanna be loved by someone.

If it's related to ongoing mental health issues, I would lean towards no, especially if it was because he can't put up with what you're dealing with. It's important to have a partner that is able to understand and support you with whatever you are going through, if not, it could have a negative effect on one, if not both, of you. Although, if you really do want to push for this relationship, perhaps try to explain what you're going through and you both can figure out how he can support you and how you can support yourself and other ways you can deal with this together. Communication is the most important part of the relationship. If it doesn't work out, that's okay. Like I said, you'll need time to move on, but there are plenty of people out there, some of which could potentially support you better.
Reply 4
Original post by bloodyeclipse
If it's related to ongoing mental health issues, I would lean towards no, especially if it was because he can't put up with what you're dealing with. It's important to have a partner that is able to understand and support you with whatever you are going through, if not, it could have a negative effect on one, if not both, of you. Although, if you really do want to push for this relationship, perhaps try to explain what you're going through and you both can figure out how he can support you and how you can support yourself and other ways you can deal with this together. Communication is the most important part of the relationship. If it doesn't work out, that's okay. Like I said, you'll need time to move on, but there are plenty of people out there, some of which could potentially support you better.

thank you, i appreciate the advice. but how do i stop obsessing over him? like im always talking to him and i just broke up with someone because i thought there was a chance for me and him again. im becoming delusional and picturing a future, he even decided that he is taking me out for my birthday this Tuesday. im not sure what to do because it could end up horribly, or great.
Original post by Anonymous
thank you, i appreciate the advice. but how do i stop obsessing over him? like im always talking to him and i just broke up with someone because i thought there was a chance for me and him again. im becoming delusional and picturing a future, he even decided that he is taking me out for my birthday this Tuesday. im not sure what to do because it could end up horribly, or great.

It is a little difficult since you are still in contact with him. Usually I would delete any chats/images/etc. related to the person and try to be around other people instead (ideally people you have an entirely non-romantic relationship with if rebounding seems to be an issue). If there's an option to archive/mute chats with him that would probably help, and if you don't want to delete photos then hide them in some way? A lot of it is just self discipline really, and it may take time and you may fall into the old habit occasionally but you will grow out of it eventually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending