The Student Room Group

Which postgraduate degree has the best career prospects

I’m in a bind which offer to currently go for to get the best job.

The first offer is

the university of Manchester:

MSc - Management and Information Systems: Change and Development

Pros: Manchester is a higher ranking university than Kent ( I’m not sure how much that matters to employers)

The university of Kent:

MSc - FinTech with Industrial Placement

Pros: comes with a 1 year industrial placement where you’ll be placed in a role for a year.

Which one is the most logical to go with when looking for a job.
Hi @Anas.MJ

So when considering which course, as you've already mentioned there can be different things to consider and it's never an easy decision to make.

Industrial placements can be fantastic for job prospects as what you can tend to find is that students who go on a placement year can be offered a full time role with the organisation they worked with on their placement year once they complete their degree. There is never any guarantee on this but if you impress them, it's most certainly an excellent way to get your foot in the door.

However what I would recommend is to really read about the course, see if the universities have any additional content online about the courses that you can look at, anything like videos, student testimonials etc that help with your decision.

It is a difficult question as there are so many other factors to consider but I'd recommend doing research and if one particular course really pulls you in then you'll know if it's the one for you!

I hope that helps.

All the best,

Tom - Marketing and Content Assistant - Teesside University
Original post by Anas.MJ
I’m in a bind which offer to currently go for to get the best job.

The first offer is

the university of Manchester:

MSc - Management and Information Systems: Change and Development

Pros: Manchester is a higher ranking university than Kent ( I’m not sure how much that matters to employers)

The university of Kent:

MSc - FinTech with Industrial Placement

Pros: comes with a 1 year industrial placement where you’ll be placed in a role for a year.

Which one is the most logical to go with when looking for a job.

Hey @Anas.MJ :biggrin: I'd agree with what @Teesside University has mentioned here. Doing the research and comparing the course content is one of the best things to do here, even when it comes to thinking about graduate careers.

An employer will hire you - not a University, its rankings, or its courses. You'll be as successful in your career as you are able to be because of the opportunities you've embraced and knowledge gained :smile: You boost your employment prospects by developing your skills to help you in the world of work - communication, critical thinking, team working, problem solving etc. As well as of course the content and knowledge covered in your studies. You're more likely to thrive and develop those skills at a University where you're engaging and enjoying the degree so make that a priority in your research.

Being able to undertake a placement is really valuable and can really help your confidence in work and with building your network too. Any sort of chance you get to be more hands-on with your learning is a great opportunity. It's maybe worth seeing if your first option also has smaller placement opportunities/networking events etc so that you have a feel for what sort of employer engagement is on offer.

Trust your gut and go where you'll be happiest - the perfect job will follow in time :colondollar: Whatever you decide, do your best to get involved in everything the Careers teams at the university has to offer. They'll be a massive help!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending