The Student Room Group

MPhil Advanced Computer Science Cambridge - 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DNOFHF
Thank you that is extremely useful! I had a fairly similar structure in mind. I also saw that in terms of batches do we have to submit our application prior the the 1st of December? I just assumed if we submitted before the funding deadline we would be considered for the first batch 🙂

What are your stats/background like? Really curious as to what area you're looking to apply to 🙂
Reply 21
Original post by AnaaaElec
What are your stats/background like? Really curious as to what area you're looking to apply to 🙂

I'm an undergraduate student and I'm predicted a first! My research interested are like many this year I imagine in AI. I'm hoping I'm able to stand out some how, but I know the competition is tough. I have done some projects, so I'm hoping that can be of some benefit. I'm also going to follow-up on the deadline, are you looking to submit by the 1st or 5th. It seems a bit weird they're out of line. I planned to get it done by the 5th, but unsure if I should rush for the 1st, so I'm apart of the first batch.
Hey guys! I am also applying to the MSc - currently in industry in a completely unrelated field unfortunately but have been thinking about doing this ever since I left uni! Currently taking the ACA qualification which is a professional accounting qualification but I hate it haha. I did a Physics MSci at KCL where I really enjoyed quantum computing but had not studied classical computing in as much depth. Trying to make a research proposal which makes sense atm as I want to do PhD centred around quantum computing but really want to take some modules at Cambridge that will help me ease into it nicely (as I've been away from uni for about 2 years but not idle!)

One thing that does worry me is that even though I got a first for my degree, I have not done as well in the professional qualification I am taking right now. It is completely unrelated to the MSc though which gives me hope and its mind numbingly boring so I hope they look past it when I apply.

All I have left is the research proposal and I do think this is the make or break for most applications as it shows your areas of interest and how much you have looked into the latest research on that area.

Hopefully should submit in a few days - good luck to you all!
Reply 23
Original post by DNOFHF
I'm an undergraduate student and I'm predicted a first! My research interested are like many this year I imagine in AI. I'm hoping I'm able to stand out some how, but I know the competition is tough. I have done some projects, so I'm hoping that can be of some benefit. I'm also going to follow-up on the deadline, are you looking to submit by the 1st or 5th. It seems a bit weird they're out of line. I planned to get it done by the 5th, but unsure if I should rush for the 1st, so I'm apart of the first batch.

I emailed admissions the other day, they said "Provided that you apply by the 5th December and your referees have also submitted their references, then you will be considered with the January batch." Hopefully that's a relief!
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous #4
Hey guys! I am also applying to the MSc - currently in industry in a completely unrelated field unfortunately but have been thinking about doing this ever since I left uni! Currently taking the ACA qualification which is a professional accounting qualification but I hate it haha. I did a Physics MSci at KCL where I really enjoyed quantum computing but had not studied classical computing in as much depth. Trying to make a research proposal which makes sense atm as I want to do PhD centred around quantum computing but really want to take some modules at Cambridge that will help me ease into it nicely (as I've been away from uni for about 2 years but not idle!)

One thing that does worry me is that even though I got a first for my degree, I have not done as well in the professional qualification I am taking right now. It is completely unrelated to the MSc though which gives me hope and its mind numbingly boring so I hope they look past it when I apply.

All I have left is the research proposal and I do think this is the make or break for most applications as it shows your areas of interest and how much you have looked into the latest research on that area.

Hopefully should submit in a few days - good luck to you all!

Best of luck - quantum is absolutely incredible, I hope this goes well for you! I don't think the professional qual should matter as much?
Hello, fellow applicants. I am currently in the process of writing my application and was wondering how long your answers for the main 3 long answer questions were ("Career goals", "Why here", "Programming Experience"). Also, do you have references in your research proposal if so how many? Thanks.
Reply 26
Original post by James Lake
Hello, fellow applicants. I am currently in the process of writing my application and was wondering how long your answers for the main 3 long answer questions were ("Career goals", "Why here", "Programming Experience"). Also, do you have references in your research proposal if so how many? Thanks.

I'm still finishing my essays - my proposal had references but not in a dedicated section - I referenced 4 papers throughout the proposal itself.
Reply 27
Has anyone been fortunate enough to reach out to professors for supervision?
Reply 28
Original post by DNOFHF
Has anyone been fortunate enough to reach out to professors for supervision?

I did a few days ago!
Reply 29
I did a few days ago!

Oh nice! Did they seem interested in working with you? Hope it went well! Also, what college did you apply for and any funding?
Reply 30
Original post by DNOFHF
Oh nice! Did they seem interested in working with you? Hope it went well! Also, what college did you apply for and any funding?

They told me to put them down as a potential supervisor, which I did in my research proposal slot.

I'm currently having a nightmare as neither of my references have gotten back to me despite knowing they need to fill my reference out a while ago... I hope they get it done before Tuesday. I picked St John's as my first choice, and don't really have any specific funding I can go for but put my hat in the ring for Cambridge Trust stuff in general.

What about you for all of the above? Are you reaching out to anyone too?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 31
They told me to put them down as a potential supervisor, which I did in my research proposal slot.

I'm currently having a nightmare as neither of my references have gotten back to me despite knowing they need to fill my reference out a while ago... I hope they get it done before Tuesday. I picked St John's as my first choice, and don't really have any specific funding I can go for but put my hat in the ring for Cambridge Trust stuff in general.

What about you for all of the above? Are you reaching out to anyone too?

I have not been able to get a reply unfortunately, so I'm hoping that doesn't limit my idea!

That is very annoying - I have had one complete the reference the other not. I reminded them and they sounded a bit annoyed, but now I'm a bit nervous as I know they're extremely busy (especially today). Their reply said 'don't worry it will be done in plenty of time' and here we are!

Funding, I'm just applying to the standard funding and see what happens. I haven't really thought about colleges as much, due to it not really making as much of a difference at postgrad. I'm probably just going to take some advice from the previous years. I'm just putting my hat in for funding and opted out of Gates, as you require another reference 🙂 Hope it goes well with crunch time!
Reply 32
Original post by DNOFHF
I have not been able to get a reply unfortunately, so I'm hoping that doesn't limit my idea!

That is very annoying - I have had one complete the reference the other not. I reminded them and they sounded a bit annoyed, but now I'm a bit nervous as I know they're extremely busy (especially today). Their reply said 'don't worry it will be done in plenty of time' and here we are!

Funding, I'm just applying to the standard funding and see what happens. I haven't really thought about colleges as much, due to it not really making as much of a difference at postgrad. I'm probably just going to take some advice from the previous years. I'm just putting my hat in for funding and opted out of Gates, as you require another reference 🙂 Hope it goes well with crunch time!

My references just finished up - so I tweak my essays and then we're all done from my end!

Best of luck on getting people to reply, I hope things end up going well 😕 I'm a home student, so I don't think I can apply to Gates at all, so the standard funding options will have to do. Good luck again for you!

Have you tried emailing any other professors beyond the one that hasn't replied?
Reply 33
Submitted! Best of luck to everyone.
Reply 34

I managed to submit my application, but annoyingly post review I noticed a little typo of duplication I.e. I put the same word next to each other. It was on the COVID-19 final statement, which is a bit annoying as that's the first page on the app. I copied my response, the page crashed as I was reading my app, fixed the typo the first time, but had to copy it in again and didn't the second time. I hope this one little duplication doesn't impede it at all!
Which professors / groups did you guys reach out to? Mind sharing? I reached out to buttery, vlachos, and copesake and got a response only from vlachos. Targeting the nlp group.
Reply 36

Are you just under review by the department like myself?
Original post by DNOFHF

Are you just under review by the department like myself?

I am
Reply 38
Original post by Anonymous #5
Which professors / groups did you guys reach out to? Mind sharing? I reached out to buttery, vlachos, and copesake and got a response only from vlachos. Targeting the nlp group.

I unfortunately did not! That’s good Vlachos replied, did you manage to have a call with him or just emails?
Reply 39
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am

Nice! It’s a bit daunting waiting for the interview, but I imagine they will happen early Jan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending