The Student Room Group

MPhil Advanced Computer Science Cambridge - 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DNOFHF
Just a general question, as I think this new rule is really stupid! Is this course going to be impacted by the new UK laws on bringing families to the UK?

Yes, sadly any taught courses are no longer eligible. You can still bring dependents on research courses longer than 9 months.
Reply 61
Original post by Anonymous #7
Yes, sadly any taught courses are no longer eligible. You can still bring dependents on research courses longer than 9 months.

That’s really sad to hear! Hopefully, anyone that views this hasn’t got influenced too much!
Original post by Anonymous #3
Good luck! Do they give you a time or do you have to arrange an interview with someone? I.e correspond with a professor.

That’s interesting, do you have any general advice for the process? Also, have you done anything else in the past year to strength your application such as publishing a paper?

A professor will send an email to you with time, but I change the meeting time with the professor due to time zone different.
In terms of advice, I don't know what advice I can give... I think I did bad at the interview last year....
Did something in the past year but not much. No paper.
Reply 63
Original post by FiveSevenNight
A professor will send an email to you with time, but I change the meeting time with the professor due to time zone different.
In terms of advice, I don't know what advice I can give... I think I did bad at the interview last year....
Did something in the past year but not much. No paper.

Thank you for that information! Hopefully; they start rolling them out soon, but I imagine they must be extremely busy! Good luck with your second application!

Have your interests shifted at all from the first time? I.group you’re applying to, research approsal etc.
No, my interests stay same.
Reply 65
No, my interests stay same.

Good luck! Do you mind me asking what country you’re applying from? (Just curious due to the time zone difference).
Frustrating how they still haven’t got back to us
Reply 67
I just got an interview invite!
Reply 68
Original post by AnaaaElec
I just got an interview invite!

Good luck! When do you have it for, and is it with someone you know I.e a professor with the security domain you’re interested in? Just asking, as due to some life stuff - I’m just wondering how much notice they give.
(edited 3 months ago)
Anyone else heard back ?
Reply 70
Original post by DNOFHF
Good luck! When do you have it for, and is it with someone you know I.e a professor with the security domain you’re interested in? Just asking, as due to some life stuff - I’m just wondering how much notice they give.

It’s with the professor I contacted with my research proposal. I think interviews vary between professors - they gave me their availability and I could book a slot for when I was also free. They emailed me with an interview invite themselves, so it’s not done across the dept :smile:
Reply 71
It’s with the professor I contacted with my research proposal. I think interviews vary between professors - they gave me their availability and I could book a slot for when I was also free. They emailed me with an interview invite themselves, so it’s not done across the dept :smile:

That’s some amazing news! That should increase your chances immensely, as you should be pretty familiar with themselves! Good luck!

Well done! Did your application portal change at all ?
Original post by xanderread
Well done! Did your application portal change at all ?

I just received an interview inv - for those wondering by application portal didn't change
Reply 74
Original post by xanderread
I just received an interview inv - for those wondering by application portal didn't change

I am yet to get an interview, but hopeful I will receive one soon. I imagine it's partly to do with what group you apply for and the professor's availability. Fingers crossed! Do you mind me asking what group you applied to? Does everyone also get an interview?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by DNOFHF

I am yet to get an interview, but hopeful I will receive one soon. I imagine it's partly to do with what group you apply for and the professor's availability. Fingers crossed! Do you mind me asking what group you applied to? Does everyone also get an interview?

I also applied to the security group. I was emailed this evening by the professor I had mentioned in application I think it’s completely related to your department / who is interviewing you.
Original post by DNOFHF
Good luck! Do you mind me asking what country you’re applying from? (Just curious due to the time zone difference).

Australia
For those who have got interview invitation, did you also received a paper to read from the professor who will give you an interview?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 78
Australia

That is extremely interesting! Have you received an interview invite? If so, what group did you apply to?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by DNOFHF
That is extremely interesting! Have you received an interview invite? If so, what group did you apply to?

No, I haven't received an interview. Do we have a specific group to apply for at all...? But I think my interests is on HCI / Human-centred computing.
Not interesting : ( The time difference sucks. I think it might be hard to find a time suitable for both of us to have an interview (if any).
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending