The Student Room Group

MPhil Advanced Computer Science Cambridge - 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FiveSevenNight
For those who have got interview invitation, did you also received a paper to read from the professor who will give you an interview?

Nope - I got an email about a just having a 30 min chat scheduled for late next week via zoom that’s it :smile: best of luck. It seems so group / research interest dependent I wouldn’t worry
Original post by xanderread
Nope - I got an email about a just having a 30 min chat scheduled for late next week via zoom that’s it :smile: best of luck. It seems so group / research interest dependent I wouldn’t worry

Yeah same I have one scheduled for late next week. There were no specifics given on what to expect
Original post by s.applewhite

Yeah same I have one scheduled for late next week. There were no specifics given on what to expect

Were you also security group ?
Were you also security group ?

yeah I selected security as well. Guess they do it in an order according to your group
Original post by s.applewhite

yeah I selected security as well. Guess they do it in an order according to your group

Did you get the interviewer you put down in your application? Or one of the general ones ?
Did you get the interviewer you put down in your application? Or one of the general ones ?

I did not request / put down any specific interviewer or professor in my application. So it's general
Reply 86
I got an interview, but it seems to be for my second research group choice. This seems surprising as it’s NLP and I thought it would be popular. I’m not sure how to feel! I also had the admission contact me instead which is interesting.
Original post by DNOFHF
I got an interview, but it seems to be for my second research group choice. This seems surprising as it’s NLP and I thought it would be popular. I’m not sure how to feel! I also had the admission contact me instead which is interesting.

Interesting what was your first choice ?
Reply 88
Interesting what was your first choice ?

Simply, the AI & ML group!
Do you mind sharing when you are arranged to be interviewed? And on a side note, has anyone that applied via Computer Architecture Route received any interview invites?
Same, but the admission didn't contact me directly. I received an invitation from a professor from NLP group, but NLP is not one of my interests at all. And I have something to read before interview.
Got an invitation to interview from Prof Vlachos - NLP group. As from someone (a mutual friend) who had got into the course and completed it - he said that only the top few strong applicants like probably less than 45% or so get invited for the interview. So please wait for your chance guys. We can make it! Also I didn't get any paper to review or read. Hoping for the best. Good luck 🤞 everyone!
Original post by Anonymous #6
Got an invitation to interview from Prof Vlachos - NLP group. As from someone (a mutual friend) who had got into the course and completed it - he said that only the top few strong applicants like probably less than 45% or so get invited for the interview. So please wait for your chance guys. We can make it! Also I didn't get any paper to review or read. Hoping for the best. Good luck 🤞 everyone!

How long ago did you get your invitation?

Also, has anyone gotten invited from the Systems group?

Is that statistic of 45% for all groups or just specifically for the NLP group?

Did you apply for NLP or what was your group?

How is the interview?
To answer everyone's question:
It's 45% overall interview invitations from across all groups (again this is coming from a mutual friend who studied for this course so I really think it's true but anyway it can change every year)
I applied just before the funding deadline
Had applied for NLP and Programming languages groups as 1st and 2nd choices.
Interview is scheduled next week so will update you guys accordingly.
Good luck to everyone 💯 🤞 👍
Reply 97
To answer everyone's question:
It's 45% overall interview invitations from across all groups (again this is coming from a mutual friend who studied for this course so I really think it's true but anyway it can change every year)
I applied just before the funding deadline
Had applied for NLP and Programming languages groups as 1st and 2nd choices.
Interview is scheduled next week so will update you guys accordingly.
Good luck to everyone 💯 🤞 👍

Congrats on the interview!

I also have an upcoming interview but I was emailed today and the scheduled time is tomorrow at 9.30 AM! I didn't seem to get a choice but out of fear of blowing my application I just accepted this time.

Honestly I'm bricking it at the moment because I really do want to stand out but I was hoping the interviews would be a little bit later so I had more time to prepare. Whatever happens happens now I guess - just have to keep calm and try my best.

Just for context, my application is with a quantum computing professor as my proposed project and background revolves around this. I'm sure everyone's interviews will differ depending on which professor + department is conducting the interview. Should be a good experience nonetheless and I'll report back here for how it went (but there's only so much prep I can do in the next few hours!!).

Wish me luck!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Chgvcfgh
Congrats on the interview!

I also have an upcoming interview but I was emailed today and the scheduled time is tomorrow at 9.30 AM! I didn't seem to get a choice but out of fear of blowing my application I just accepted this time.

Honestly I'm bricking it at the moment because I really do want to stand out but I was hoping the interviews would be a little bit later so I had more time to prepare. Whatever happens happens now I guess - just have to keep calm and try my best.

Just for context, my application is with a quantum computing professor as my proposed project and background revolves around this. I'm sure everyone's interviews will differ depending on which professor + department is conducting the interview. Should be a good experience nonetheless and I'll report back here for how it went (but there's only so much prep I can do in the next few hours!!).

Wish me luck!

Best of luck!

I had my interview today, and honestly, I am unsettled by how well everything went. I managed to answer all questions without any problems, which almost makes me anticipate a catch. However, in all honesty, the interview process was very pleasant, and as I mentioned, there were no too difficult questions.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else had a similar or different experience.
Original post by Anonymous #10
Best of luck!

I had my interview today, and honestly, I am unsettled by how well everything went. I managed to answer all questions without any problems, which almost makes me anticipate a catch. However, in all honesty, the interview process was very pleasant, and as I mentioned, there were no too difficult questions.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else had a similar or different experience.

What group did you apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending