The Student Room Group

Degree Apprenticeship Progress

Hello everyone,

I am looking to start an apprenticeship with an offer in civil engineering. I just wanted to know how anyone here, who has or is doing a degree apprenticeship, is doing. Like, where are you at after completion, how much salary increases annually, has it put you at head start against uni peers etc…
Reply 1
Original post by Educationisalie
Hello everyone,

I am looking to start an apprenticeship with an offer in civil engineering. I just wanted to know how anyone here, who has or is doing a degree apprenticeship, is doing. Like, where are you at after completion, how much salary increases annually, has it put you at head start against uni peers etc…

Hi,

I'm currently completing a degree apprenticeship in Manufacturing Engineering. Many (although not all) companies will offer their apprentices a permanent position upon completion of the apprenticeship. The salary increase during the apprenticeship is entirely dependent on the company. Some apprentices are on the National Minimum Wage throughout their apprenticeship, certain companies have a fixed baseline regardless of age and some companies offer a salary of up to £30k during the apprenticeship. As to the salary after the apprenticeship it will depend on whether you choose to stay with the company or move on with your employment. You have the advantage of having a degree (that is the same as a normal uni student - there is this misconception that qualifications gained through an apprenticeship are somehow worth less, this is untrue) as well as 3-5 years of experience in an engineering role. This puts you well ahead of your uni peers if you pair it with good interview skills. Your salary will also depend on your role - a maintenance engineer will earn more on average than a field service engineer etc.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending