The Student Room Group

A Level Maths Remarking

I got 195 and need a 196 for an A, so am getting it remarked. Has anyone gotten their maths exam remarked and achieved the extra mark? Because I know maths is very straightforward with marking.
Original post by user8732847
I got 195 and need a 196 for an A, so am getting it remarked. Has anyone gotten their maths exam remarked and achieved the extra mark? Because I know maths is very straightforward with marking.

Hi there :hi:
Best wishes with the remark.

I am not sure about whether I've seen a change like this before, sometimes remarks can go down. Do you think the change to an A would benefit your university application?
Reply 2
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hi there :hi:
Best wishes with the remark.

I am not sure about whether I've seen a change like this before, sometimes remarks can go down. Do you think the change to an A would benefit your university application?

No, i’m already in. it’s more of an ego thing haha
Reply 3

no point wasting money then x

Honestly I wouldn't recommend doing this if it's not benefitting your Uni application just because you could end up with a lower mark
Hi, I'm also considering a remark for maths so I thought I might as well post here! I got an A but I need an A*. I am 3 percent (10 marks) off an A* and almost 40 marks above a B. I know I don't have much to lose but is it just a bit ridiculous trying a remark hoping to gain an extra 3 or 4 marks in each paper?? I'm also kicking myself as the first paper went badly due to being in a really hot, really noisy room (right next to the main road and the teachers did not keep the other students quiet around the exam room). I was really distracted but I didn't put in a formal complaint at the time as the teacher said it would make no difference whatsoever. I have now realised that exam boards do give an extra few percent for significant distraction, and this could have made all the difference to my grade and saved me from retaking next year. Is there anything I can do to appeal / remark at this stage??? Other people in the room including probably the invigilator could attest to the noisy environment...
Original post by AnnieBlue:)
Hi, I'm also considering a remark for maths so I thought I might as well post here! I got an A but I need an A*. I am 3 percent (10 marks) off an A* and almost 40 marks above a B. I know I don't have much to lose but is it just a bit ridiculous trying a remark hoping to gain an extra 3 or 4 marks in each paper?? I'm also kicking myself as the first paper went badly due to being in a really hot, really noisy room (right next to the main road and the teachers did not keep the other students quiet around the exam room). I was really distracted but I didn't put in a formal complaint at the time as the teacher said it would make no difference whatsoever. I have now realised that exam boards do give an extra few percent for significant distraction, and this could have made all the difference to my grade and saved me from retaking next year. Is there anything I can do to appeal / remark at this stage??? Other people in the room including probably the invigilator could attest to the noisy environment...

So first thing is that "remarks" are actually called a review of marking. It's a check that exam boards do to make sure the exam board has followed the correct processes and calculated your grade correctly. It's not where they will look at your answers and re-evaluate them.

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most grades will stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school and consider going for priority remarking.

Honestly, regarding the noise/distraction I am unsure how that would work but please do talk to your school in case they can advise on this!
Reply 7

Several years back my son was 1 mark off an A grade in Further Maths. All papers were checked over and just one paper was sent back for remark. He got the extra mark and grade higher :smile: Whatever the outcome, you've done great - a tough year with high grade boundaries!
Reply 8
Original post by 212023
Several years back my son was 1 mark off an A grade in Further Maths. All papers were checked over and just one paper was sent back for remark. He got the extra mark and grade higher :smile: Whatever the outcome, you've done great - a tough year with high grade boundaries!

Hi I’m currently in the exact same situation funnily enough. I submitted one paper already and received no grade change though. Was this extra mark an easily identifiable mistake from the examiner? It doesn’t seem likely I will get anything from the remaining 3 papers
Reply 9
Original post by AnnieBlue:)

If you haven't already put forward mitigating circumstances, it is definitely worth a try, I got a higher grade in Maths due to mitigating circumstances today! Albeit my reason was more serious
Reply 10

got it remarked and got the A
got it remarked and got the A

Which paper is best for remarking?
Reply 12
Original post by Sairabegum16
Which paper is best for remarking?

you teacher can review your papers and tell you which one is best
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest