The Student Room Group

Is it worth resitting Further Maths?

Hi all

I received my A level grades today.
I acheived A* in Maths., A in Physics and B in Further Maths. I’m 2 marks from an A in Further Maths (and I have sent for a remark), but unfortunately I didn’t make either my Firm or Insurance.

My question is: is it worth taking the year out and resitting Further Maths or is it better to accept a lower tier university than I was aiming for? Do universities generally discriminate against those who resit an exam, even if it is just one?
Reply 1
Universities don’t discriminate if you retake. That’s a decision you want to take. I’ll be honest you really don’t need too, you’ve achieved amazing grades. I’m sure you’ll be able to get into a course of your course with the grades provided. What would have helped your grades would also be an A in an EPQ. That would have rounded your B in further maths to an A. But I promise your maths and further maths won’t make a difference as long as it’s maths and you’ve achieved either a B or an A.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by GreenStar7
Hi all

I received my A level grades today.
I acheived A* in Maths., A in Physics and B in Further Maths. I’m 2 marks from an A in Further Maths (and I have sent for a remark), but unfortunately I didn’t make either my Firm or Insurance.

My question is: is it worth taking the year out and resitting Further Maths or is it better to accept a lower tier university than I was aiming for? Do universities generally discriminate against those who resit an exam, even if it is just one?

Hello if you don’t mind me asking do you have any tips for getting an A in physics since I’m finding it pretty hard right now. Also if you don’t mind sharing what where the grade requirements for for your firm and insurance and the university.
Reply 3
Original post by Jamila_az
Universities don’t discriminate if you retake. That’s a decision you want to take. I’ll be honest you really don’t need too, you’ve achieved amazing grades. I’m sure you’ll be able to get into a course of your course with the grades provided. What would have helped your grades would also be an A in an EPQ. That would have rounded your B in further maths to an A. But I promise your maths and further maths won’t make a difference as long as it’s maths and you’ve achieved either a B or an A.

Thankyou! That helps a lot to hear.
Reply 4
Original post by Rainyzack
Hello if you don’t mind me asking do you have any tips for getting an A in physics since I’m finding it pretty hard right now. Also if you don’t mind sharing what where the grade requirements for for your firm and insurance and the university.

Tbh it’s just about keeping on top of the content. Practising papers and thoroughly understanding where you are going wrong if you make mistakes of course. Physics is a difficult subject, but use whatever resources you have at hand to help you.
I personally find that I need to fully understand why the concepts are the way they are, so that I can apply it to any scenario they might throw at you in the exam. If you don’t get it, badger your teachers to help you.

My firm was A*A*A and insurance was A*AA.

Quick Reply

Latest