The Student Room Group

Remark 2023

I did OCR A A level physics and got 3 marks of an A. Is it worth requesting a remark?
Original post by KDawn
I did OCR A A level physics and got 3 marks of an A. Is it worth requesting a remark?

So first thing is that "remarks" are actually called a review of marking. It's a check that exam boards do to make sure the exam board has followed the correct processes and calculated your grade correctly. It's not where they will look at your answers and re-evaluate them.

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most grades will stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school. One question, is university your next step?
Reply 2
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
So first thing is that "remarks" are actually called a review of marking. It's a check that exam boards do to make sure the exam board has followed the correct processes and calculated your grade correctly. It's not where they will look at your answers and re-evaluate them.

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most grades will stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school. One question, is university your next step?

Yes but I got into my firm
Original post by KDawn
Yes but I got into my firm

Wow huge congrats on getting into your firm! :woohoo: that's super awesome and I hope you have the best time at uni :yay:
Honestly if this is the case then I am not too sure if a remark would affect a great deal, it's your choice + talk to the school but unless it would change the outcome I am not sure if it's worth it since the marks can sometimes go down
Reply 4
I am 3 marks off of the higher grade so I don’t think my grade would go down
Reply 5
Has anyone sent off bio ocr a ? I’m 2 marks off an A but haven’t heard anything back yet .
Reply 6
Original post by redjelly21
Has anyone sent off bio ocr a ? I’m 2 marks off an A but haven’t heard anything back yet .

Did you decide to get all 3 papers remarked or just a specific one?
Reply 7
Original post by KDawn
Did you decide to get all 3 papers remarked or just a specific one?

All 3 bcs it gives a higher chance
Reply 8
Hi can I get some advice here, I was 3 marks off an A* in History and 20 marks from the A/B grade boundary my college has offered to pay for a review of one paper to try ad get the extra marks, is it worth it and is there any realistic chance of losing 20 marks on 1 paper.

Also I have a similar situation with RE, I was 5 marks off of an A which was quite surprising given how I thought it went I'm 35 marks from a C grade so extremely unlikely to go down but obviously a slight chance is it wirhoaying for a remark as college won't pay for this one or accept the grade as luckily I was still accepted onto my 1st choice anyway. Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by S3PJ
Hi can I get some advice here, I was 3 marks off an A* in History and 20 marks from the A/B grade boundary my college has offered to pay for a review of one paper to try ad get the extra marks, is it worth it and is there any realistic chance of losing 20 marks on 1 paper.

Also I have a similar situation with RE, I was 5 marks off of an A which was quite surprising given how I thought it went I'm 35 marks from a C grade so extremely unlikely to go down but obviously a slight chance is it wirhoaying for a remark as college won't pay for this one or accept the grade as luckily I was still accepted onto my 1st choice anyway. Thanks

Have you looked through your marked papers? You can get these for free. I am 6 marks off a B in politics and I got my teacher to look at my paper and one of my essays was marked quite lowly so I am just getting paper 3 remarked.

If you are close to the higher boundary I don’t think you can realistically go down. My college has said that if your overall grade changes you get the fee refunded.

Quick Reply

Latest