The Student Room Group

How useful are online courses/work experience for Law applications

I'm doing the Hogan Lovells online experience- how helpful would this be to mention in my personal statement as I already have work experience in a law firm office for a few weeks.
(edited 8 months ago)
It all depends on how you describe it in your PS. For example, I did a law work experience on Springpod, which obviously doesn't seem like much. But I got to talk about how I learnt about the distinction between primary sources and secondary sources. I got the offer from university so it clearly worked. However, as you said, the bulk should be about you in-person experience.
Reply 2
Original post by toxicgamage56
It all depends on how you describe it in your PS. For example, I did a law work experience on Springpod, which obviously doesn't seem like much. But I got to talk about how I learnt about the distinction between primary sources and secondary sources. I got the offer from university so it clearly worked. However, as you said, the bulk should be about you in-person experience.

ah so talking about some specific things you learned online could help you stand out yeah?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by a$ap_pranjol
ah so talking about some specific things you learned online could help you stand out yeah?

Definitely! That's exactly what you're supposed to do for anything you choose to mention in your personal statement. For example, I did (and am still part of) a work experience run by Clifford Chance called ACCESS. Instead of just saying I took part, I mentioned how I learnt about due diligence and commercial awareness. Same goes for a human rights project I did with QMUL - I mentioned how I learnt about constitutional law and the intersect between law and politics (then followed up on this through reading on the Belmarsh case etc etc).
Reply 4
Original post by toxicgamage56
Definitely! That's exactly what you're supposed to do for anything you choose to mention in your personal statement. For example, I did (and am still part of) a work experience run by Clifford Chance called ACCESS. Instead of just saying I took part, I mentioned how I learnt about due diligence and commercial awareness. Same goes for a human rights project I did with QMUL - I mentioned how I learnt about constitutional law and the intersect between law and politics (then followed up on this through reading on the Belmarsh case etc etc).

that's really helpful bro I appreciate you.
Original post by a$ap_pranjol
that's really helpful bro I appreciate you.

No problem! I applied for a university where the PS is really important so these are just some tips my teacher gave me. Good luck.
Reply 6
Be aware that Law is an academic degree and you need evidence of your academic engagement with this subject - this is far more important than any 'work experience'. Listen to some of the BBC Law in Action podcasts - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tgy1/episodes/player - and choose a few topics that interest you, do a bit more research/thinking and then explain briefly why these topics interested/intrigued you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending