The Student Room Group

Official: Hull York Medical School A100 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holders

Welcome to the HYMS A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

HYMS A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7089691

For general information click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/appl...y-requirements

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

does anyone know how hull scores GCSE's , A levels, UCAT and SJT band? and what is their cutoff?
Original post by BILAL78612
does anyone know how hull scores GCSE's , A levels, UCAT and SJT band? and what is their cutoff?

Below is their selection procedure:
https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/applying/selection-procedure

As for cutoff, I'm not sure but it can depends on your stats. People could have a lower UCAT scores but got an interview because their stats were stronger in other areas (+ vice versa). You're best off looking in previous threads and comparing their stats to your own :smile:
Hi, I was looking at last years thread on the early pages and 2021. I think this is how they calculate score:

- gcse's are 30 points- 9/8 grade = 5 points, 7 = 4, 6 = 3 etc for "based upon the best six achieved grades at gcse "
- ucat- 40 points- top decile gives you 40 points, each decile down takes away 4 points, so if you're in the 9th decile you get 40, 8th = 36, 7th = 32
- sjt- 15 points- band 1 gives 15 points, band 2 = 10, band 3 = 5
- contextual- 15 points if you qualify

For myself I have calculated 69 points (nice):
-my best 6 GCSES are 988877 so 28/30
-I meet two WP points so I get +15
-Band 2 UCAT so 10/15
-For UCAT score: I got an average of 617 which I think is= 16/40

This gets me to a total of 69/100.

I don't want to spread false info so could @GANFYD check this? TY! :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by meow meow
Hi, I was looking at last years thread on the early pages and 2021. I think this is how they calculate score:

- gcse's are 30 points- 9/8 grade = 5 points, 7 = 4, 6 = 3 etc for "based upon the best six achieved grades at gcse "
- ucat- 40 points- top decile gives you 40 points, each decile down takes away 4 points, so if you're in the 9th decile you get 40, 8th = 36, 7th = 32
- sjt- 15 points- band 1 gives 15 points, band 2 = 10, band 3 = 5
- contextual- 15 points if you qualify

For myself I have calculated 69 points (nice):
-my best 6 GCSES are 988877 so 28/30
-I meet two WP points so I get +15
-Band 2 UCAT so 10/15
-For UCAT score: I got an average of 617 which I think is= 16/40

This gets me to a total of 69/100.

I don't want to spread false info so could @GANFYD check this? TY! :biggrin:

If you UCAT is 2470, that was 5th decile last year, so 20 points. Other than that, it looks fine.

This is why we ask about WP flags, as without them, you would be nowhere near!
WP and non-wp have different cut offs right?
Reply 6
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
WP and non-wp have different cut offs right?

No, but extra points are given to WP applicants (15% pre interview)
I have 61 points from 2021 criteria would it be too risky to apply?
Reply 8
Original post by Duecesusu
I have 61 points from 2021 criteria would it be too risky to apply?

It would be below the last 2 years’ cut offs, I’m afraid
Would 68 be risky?
Original post by GANFYD
It would be below the last 2 years’ cut offs, I’m afraid

I’m not sure if I’m contextual or not if so it would be 76 would that be risky?
I’m not sure if I’m contextual or not if so it would be 76 would that be risky?

meet 2/3 of these (straight from the website):

"Contextual data (up to 15 points)

We are committed to selecting the best applicants based on their potential, we therefore use contextual information alongside your UCAS form to better inform decision-making. Due to the availability and comparability of data, the use of contextual information will apply to UK school leaver applicants only.

Up to 15 points will be awarded to candidates who meet at least two of the following criteria:

Candidate’s home postcode is in an area of low participation (POLAR quintile 1 or 2)
No parental experience of higher education
Candidate is in receipt of the UCAT Bursary"

I know someone who applied for 2022 entry and got an offer with 73/100 for pre-interview
How would u go about telling them your parents have no access to higher education ; how would they know? @GANFYD
How would u go about telling them your parents have no access to higher education ; how would they know? @GANFYD

I assume via your UCAS form
Original post by GANFYD
I assume via your UCAS form

Hi, I was wondering if you could please tell me the "cut off" for last year. Thank you so much
Original post by MedApplicantttt
Hi, I was wondering if you could please tell me the "cut off" for last year. Thank you so much

You need to read through the thread to see what sort of scores got interviews, but I think it was around 73
Original post by GANFYD
You need to read through the thread to see what sort of scores got interviews, but I think it was around 73

I know someone with 73 got an offer. Do you personally think this will increase or decrease?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sami Sami
Yes, I know someone with 73 got an offer. Do you personally think this will increase or decrease?

definitely increase
Original post by Sami Sami
Yes, I know someone with 73 got an offer. Do you personally think this will increase or decrease?

GCSE grade inflation will hit HYMS, but hopefully they have no enforced deferrals for 2023, so have more places available, and that will counteract it. The number the interview will be key, but 73 is full GCSE points, B1 and a 7th decile UCAT, so for non-WP, it is already tough!
Original post by GANFYD
GCSE grade inflation will hit HYMS, but hopefully they have no enforced deferrals for 2023, so have more places available, and that will counteract it. The number the interview will be key, but 73 is full GCSE points, B1 and a 7th decile UCAT, so for non-WP, it is already tough!

Going from last years thread looks like HYMS has become a high UCAT university for anyone who is not WP….( and WP points are carried through to post interview..) I wonder how many non WP actually got offers in 2022 ( not including the last few places that were given out not in clearing” ) ? Would an FOI be able to show how many non WP were initially offered places ?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending