The Student Room Group

Official: Hull York Medical School A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by reubenn05

Welcome to the HYMS 2024 entry discussion.

2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252490

For general information click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/appl...y-requirements

How to score your application: multiply your UCAT decile by 4 (max 40 points), top 6 GCSEs: grade 9 = 5, 8 = 4, 7 = 3, etc. (up to 30 points), SJT band 1 = 15 points, band 2 may be around 10 pts, band 3 around 5 points. Contextual (up to 15 points):

Care experience or care leaver* 15 points

Refugee status 15 points

Contextual data markers (not to be used in addition to care or refugee status):

Recipient of the UCAT Bursary 8 points

Home postcode is in POLAR 1 4 points or POLAR 2 3 points. You can check your postcode on the Office for Students website

First in your family to go to university 3 points

Applicants who have satisfactorily completed one of the our recognised widening participation programmes and who do not meet any of the above three criteria, or who only meet one of the criteria, are awarded points as follows:

Widening participation programme 7 points

Widening participation programme and one criteria 7 points and criteria points

Cutoff last year - 77
N.b. this scoring system (apart from the contextual scoring, which is clear on the website) is just the best guess of what it is, and may not be wholly accurate.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

do hyms use english language when scoring gcses, or are the top 6 in any subjects?
Original post by m_s74
do hyms use english language when scoring gcses, or are the top 6 in any subjects?

top 6 in any subject
Hi reubenn, i just saw the 2023 preliminary scores and my score of 2540 which was normally 6th decile would now put me at 5th decile 😣 i got Vr 630, 550,720,640 band 1 so would score 76 (i think i would be contextual as i got the bursary and first in my family to go to uni) would it still be safe applying to HYMS with last year’s cut off being 76? Im so upset!!
Original post by Etta2001!
Hi reubenn, i just saw the 2023 preliminary scores and my score of 2540 which was normally 6th decile would now put me at 5th decile 😣 i got Vr 630, 550,720,640 band 1 so would score 76 (i think i would be contextual as i got the bursary and first in my family to go to uni) would it still be safe applying to HYMS with last year’s cut off being 76? Im so upset!!

the final deciles will be lower than than the prelims, so your score should still be 6th decile
the final deciles will be lower than than the prelims, so your score should still be 6th decile

I hope so 🤞😣
Reply 85
Does anyone know what the post-interview success rate for offers was in the past? Thank you
Original post by Ryry9
Does anyone know what the post-interview success rate for offers was in the past? Thank you

2022 was 41.5%, but this is likely to be a bit lower than usual due to number of deferrals
Reply 87

Welcome to the HYMS 2024 entry discussion.

2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252490

For general information click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/appl...y-requirements

How to score your application: multiply your UCAT decile by 4 (max 40 points), top 6 GCSEs: grade 9 = 5, 8 = 4, 7 = 3, etc. (up to 30 points), SJT band 1 = 15 points, band 2 may be around 10 pts, band 3 around 5 points. Contextual (up to 15 points):

Care experience or care leaver* 15 points

Refugee status 15 points

Contextual data markers (not to be used in addition to care or refugee status):

Recipient of the UCAT Bursary 8 points

Home postcode is in POLAR 1 4 points or POLAR 2 3 points. You can check your postcode on the Office for Students website

First in your family to go to university 3 points

Applicants who have satisfactorily completed one of the our recognised widening participation programmes and who do not meet any of the above three criteria, or who only meet one of the criteria, are awarded points as follows:

Widening participation programme 7 points

Widening participation programme and one criteria 7 points and criteria points

Cutoff last year - 77
N.b. this scoring system (apart from the contextual scoring, which is clear on the website) is just the best guess of what it is, and may not be wholly accurate.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

HEALTH WARNING! Unless Reubenn05 has some data to support this model then i recommend you ignore. Appreciate it's caveated but unless there's some provenance (reubenn05??) then it's just a guess and shouldn't be relied upon.
Original post by PJC252
HEALTH WARNING! Unless Reubenn05 has some data to support this model then i recommend you ignore. Appreciate it's caveated but unless there's some provenance (reubenn05??) then it's just a guess and shouldn't be relied upon.

i literally said it's an estimate in the post, and there is evidence to back it up as people below the calculated cutoff got rejected, and people who got the cutoff score got interviews :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 89
i literally said it's an estimate in the post, and there is evidence to back it up as people below the calculated cutoff got rejected, and people who got the cutoff score got interviews

If it's a guess then i don't think it was advisable to post it.
Original post by PJC252
If it's a guess then i don't think it was advisable to post it.

but it has evidence to back it up, and it generally helps people assess their interview chances...
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 91
but it has evidence to back it up, and it generally helps people assess their interview chances...

Apologies reubenn05. Please could you share with the forum the evidence that underpins your model (not just the cut-off).
Original post by PJC252
Apologies reubenn05. Please could you share with the forum the evidence that underpins your model (not just the cut-off).

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252490
Reply 93
i literally said it's an estimate in the post, and there is evidence to back it up as people below the calculated cutoff got rejected, and people who got the cutoff score got interviews :smile:

Hiya, do you think the cutoff of 77 will decrease this coming year, stay the same or increase?
Reply 94
I think that demonstrates my point. There's no evidence to support this. This is just amplifying other peoples guesses. Ignore.
Original post by PJC252
I think that demonstrates my point. There's no evidence to support this. This is just amplifying other peoples guesses. Ignore.

have you even got to the point in the thread where people start receiving interviews
Original post by VilasL06
Hiya, do you think the cutoff of 77 will decrease this coming year, stay the same or increase?

might decrease but only slightly due to gcse grade deflation, or stay the same, as number of band 1s has gone up. wouldn't expect it to increase though
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 97
might decrease but only slightly due to gcse grade deflation, or stay the same, as number of band 1s has gone up. wouldn't expect it to increase though

Thanks for your reply, I got 76 points in total. Would that be safe or should I avoid HYMS?
Reply 98
Hullyork has online zoom in two days . Applying to Hull York Medical School at 5 pm on 21 Sep .https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/open-days-and-events/medicafe

I think if you are interested then it is better to attend .
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 99
Original post by PJC252

HYMS have confirmed how they have scored each element except contextual and SJT in previous years, and have now clarified the former.
They have not confirmed it is unchanged, but the scoring information they do give is the same as has always been given, so there is no reason to presume it is calculated differently.
People can go through years of past threads and read this for themselves and they can look at how accurate the "best guess" has been at predicting interviews in past years. Or they can rely on those of us that have done this for years, have put in the FOIs, spoken with admissions and with past applicants who have been given information. It is up to people to decide how much weight they wish to attribute to advice given, which is carefully caveated, but that does not make it a guess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending