The Student Room Group

Revision tactics

Hii, I’m just going into year 11 and I still have no idea on how to effectively revise.
Can anyone please give me some advice on where to begin with that??
Original post by Lixylee
Hii, I’m just going into year 11 and I still have no idea on how to effectively revise.
Can anyone please give me some advice on where to begin with that??

Active recall is the best way to revise. You need to be actively doing something with the content so it stays in your head. For example:
flash cards - question/prompt on one side, answer on the other. Look at the question and attempt to answer, then check with the back of the card. Sort into piles of ‘know’ and ‘don’t know’ and repeat with the ones you don’t know. You can make physical flash cards or online ones on Quizlet or there might be other websites too.
Blurting - write down everything you can remember about a specific topic without looking at any notes or anything, then fill in anything you didn’t know in a different coloured pen using your notes. Then you know what you don’t know and can focus more time on that.
Practice questions / past papers - so you’re using the content and know what to expect in the exam. Best to do this when you’re fairly confident with the content though.

Also you need to keep going back to stuff, like revise for a little bit one day and then go back to it the next day, then in 3 days, then in a week, etc to get it into your long term memory.

Quick Reply

Latest