The Student Room Group

New edexcel maths gcse mock exams were so hard!

I have just had my spring GCSE mock exams for maths, and i know that i have done REALLY BADLY! I work so hard, every single day and i never rest because im always working and revising, and i use the revision guides, mathswatch, and youtube videos. We had the maths exams, and on paper 2, i didnt understand anything, i flicked through the paper and i felt like crying, and then i came home and started to cry because it was sooooo hard! I am in top set and i really want to get a grade 7, and i am so stressed. I dont understand the wording of the questions and it is different to what we do in class. Also, i stay at interventions but my teacher doesn't help at all. I can never sleep at night because i always have nightmares of the real exam and opening my results on results day and not even passing. Please help,because i don't know what to do and i am really sad and so stressed, and im crying.
Reply 1
Original post by Moonlight15
I have just had my spring GCSE mock exams for maths, and i know that i have done REALLY BADLY! I work so hard, every single day and i never rest because im always working and revising, and i use the revision guides, mathswatch, and youtube videos. We had the maths exams, and on paper 2, i didnt understand anything, i flicked through the paper and i felt like crying, and then i came home and started to cry because it was sooooo hard! I am in top set and i really want to get a grade 7, and i am so stressed. I dont understand the wording of the questions and it is different to what we do in class. Also, i stay at interventions but my teacher doesn't help at all. I can never sleep at night because i always have nightmares of the real exam and opening my results on results day and not even passing. Please help,because i don't know what to do and i am really sad and so stressed, and im crying.

Most people I know are going through the same. I myself am in set 3 of 6 (upper middle) and I'm getting around 85 on every mock set that I do which is a low grade 5 in my school. This genuinely frightens me considering I need a 6 in maths to do 2 of the courses I want to do next year. Most people in my school are going through this, the average grade is a 4. Don't worry, as long as you work hard, you will get what you deserve, and if everyone performs averagely in these exams (which it seems like they will), the grade boundaries will be decent to obtain a 6 or a 7.

was the last question on vectors
Just did my Non-Calculator GCSE Maths Mock Exam and it was decent tbh, but your right a lot of the questions are re-worded but that's to trick you they are actually really easy. But don't worry if you mess up now its better then messing up for the real GCSE Exam - just earn from your mistakes, work 10 times harder and do loads of past papers they really help. Try MathsGenie it's an excellent website.
Reply 4
Just wondering if anyone could send over the edexcel pearson maths higher set four autumn tests and or mark schemes. I am looking to see what sort of score I got in my mocks.
i stay at interventions but my teacher doesn't help at all.

Sounds like you're not getting the best direction from the staff who should be directing you.

Which exam board for maths?
What paper was the mock? ... I'm guessing it was a past paper, and not a school/dept concoction ?
Anyone wanna warn me on what comes up on the paper 3 as im sitting it tomorrow
Hey, dont cry! I am in year 10 and tommorow i have got my mock exams, i have a non-calculator one.. But im in foundation and i really wanna pass to do higher )' So im revsing alot today. You could use Maths genie,Sparxs,Mathswatch,Youtube, and revision notes! it helps alot!
Don't get so hung up over an exam it's not worth the emotional toll. When I was at school I used to get all worked up over exams that I'd get all nervous and upset before I undertook them. Believe it or not exams are definitely not the only gateway towards what you want to do, but I'm sure teachers and other adults try to sway you into thinking they're hugely important. Sure, they can make getting the career you want potentially easier, but what you really need is hard work and dedication-which I suppose exams teach you, though for some that means a lot of needless stress and unreasonably high expectations.

Key point here is lower your expectations and reduce the pressure on yourself and from others. If you have high expectations then disappointment, regret and anger are likely to consume you. Keep your focus on yourself too, it doesn't matter what your mates achieve in a competitive sense-I know competition can bring out the best in people, but again if you expect to get higher grades than your mates or your class and you don't achieve it-then you're setting yourself up for bitter disappointment.

Sometimes all you need is a good mentality, to work hard and not be deterred by anything or anybody. The way our society twists young minds into a state of insecurity is quite depressing.

Quick Reply

Latest