The Student Room Group

Can I take sciences if I choose, Maths, Bio and economics? Or Maths, Bio & Psycholog?

I was really looking forward to get good grades in GCSE and wanted to pursue sciences specially Food sciences or bio medical at Uni. But I didn’t get good grade in Chemistry so can’t take Chem, instead I am thinking now to go for Maths, Bio and Economics, or shall I take Maths,Bio and Psychology?
Original post by Bhavna B
I was really looking forward to get good grades in GCSE and wanted to pursue sciences specially Food sciences or bio medical at Uni. But I didn’t get good grade in Chemistry so can’t take Chem, instead I am thinking now to go for Maths, Bio and Economics, or shall I take Maths,Bio and Psychology?

At uni they usually say for biomedical (idk about food science) that they want two sciences. And they class maths as a science so with maths and biology you’ll meet entry requirements fine. Psychology is viewed by some unis to be a “soft science” as it’s only partially proper science, however that won’t really make a difference as long as you do biology and maths. But it won’t hinder you to do economics instead as you have two sciences. Therefore, I’d recommend reading through the curriculum for each and maybe talking to do people who do economics or psychology and do whichever you think you will be better at as really all you need is to get the grades to get into your chosen course.
Sorry if that was a bit long but hope it helps!
Original post by LittleFire10
At uni they usually say for biomedical (idk about food science) that they want two sciences. And they class maths as a science so with maths and biology you’ll meet entry requirements fine. Psychology is viewed by some unis to be a “soft science” as it’s only partially proper science, however that won’t really make a difference as long as you do biology and maths. But it won’t hinder you to do economics instead as you have two sciences. Therefore, I’d recommend reading through the curriculum for each and maybe talking to do people who do economics or psychology and do whichever you think you will be better at as really all you need is to get the grades to get into your chosen course.
Sorry if that was a bit long but hope it helps!

Forgot to mention some biomedical uni courses do require chemistry so might want to double check for that
Reply 3
No, thanks a lot. I also think as Biology itself is so fast so doing another psychology might get overwhelming, economics will be good from getting into data sciences also later
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Look carefully at the entry requirements for the subjects you are interested in at a range of different Unis.
What is essential or 'preferred'?

Examples :
Leeds - https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/food-nutrition-undergraduate
Surrey - https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/food-science-and-nutrition
Reply 5
Yes thanks, so Maths and Bio is considered science subjects in Leeds for food science. Third I guess can be any.

Quick Reply

Latest