The Student Room Group

Does taking 4 A-Levels help with university applications?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelstudent090
what’s going on with this thread?! calm down

This 👍
Original post by sailhorsegirl
This 👍

you’re allowed to share your opinion idk why there needs to be a whole argument from the other user for. :confused:
Original post by fkdkxkdjskd
I thought you commented on the thread I made because I was reading both at the same time and then I realised that I was commenting on a different thread

Ah OK.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by alevelstudent090
you’re allowed to share your opinion idk why there needs to be a whole argument from the other user for. :confused:

ikr
Original post by Quinni
I know this question has probably been asked a lot but i’m new here and i can’t for the life of me work out the filtering system so sorry :,)

When applying to oxbridge, does taking a 4th a level boost your application at all? Most people advise to take 3 because oxbridge don’t look at your 4th A-level. I know that they only require 3, but doesn’t the fact that you’ve done 4 and still managed to get the same grades as someone who only did 3 make you a better candidate in their eyes? I can’t help but feel like a 4th a level is ‘useless’ on paper but actually quite helpful in candidate selections. It’s not as though it’s a matter of getting either A*A*A* or A*ABB, I’m quite confident (hopeful rather) that i could get at the least A*A*A*A and the only difference between taking 3 and taking 4 would be my stress level. If it truly doesn’t affect the application at all then i think i’ll gleefully stick to 3 a levels and use my free time to widen my general knowledge, flesh out the other parts of my application and/or conduct some uni subject-specific research. However, if doing 4 a levels as opposed to 3 gives me some advantage then i’d like to do that instead. I would very much appreciate some advice :smile:

No OP, doing a 4th gives you no advantage and it's a pretty risky strategy because doing 3 full A levels already constitutes an immense workload so risking a 4th for no real gain and potentially causing all your other grades to suffer usually isn't worth it. And it's a fantastic idea to use the spare time to research around your subject and add that to your PS. You're no less likely to receive an interview or offer by virtue of doing 3 A levels so don't worry about others implying you should do a 4th.
Original post by Quinni
I know this question has probably been asked a lot but i’m new here and i can’t for the life of me work out the filtering system so sorry :,)

When applying to oxbridge, does taking a 4th a level boost your application at all? Most people advise to take 3 because oxbridge don’t look at your 4th A-level. I know that they only require 3, but doesn’t the fact that you’ve done 4 and still managed to get the same grades as someone who only did 3 make you a better candidate in their eyes? I can’t help but feel like a 4th a level is ‘useless’ on paper but actually quite helpful in candidate selections. It’s not as though it’s a matter of getting either A*A*A* or A*ABB, I’m quite confident (hopeful rather) that i could get at the least A*A*A*A and the only difference between taking 3 and taking 4 would be my stress level. If it truly doesn’t affect the application at all then i think i’ll gleefully stick to 3 a levels and use my free time to widen my general knowledge, flesh out the other parts of my application and/or conduct some uni subject-specific research. However, if doing 4 a levels as opposed to 3 gives me some advantage then i’d like to do that instead. I would very much appreciate some advice :smile:

It's a bit like the "do I need Maths for Medicine?" question I think. While Oxbridge may say you don't, the reality is that most successful applicants did take Maths for A Level. So yeah, if you can get 4 top grades (even if they say you only need 3) then that's probably going to be in line with most other successful applicants?
Original post by sailhorsegirl
It's a bit like the "do I need Maths for Medicine?" question I think. While Oxbridge may say you don't, the reality is that most successful applicants did take Maths for A Level. So yeah, if you can get 4 top grades (even if they say you only need 3) then that's probably going to be in line with most other successful applicants?

Being in line with other applicants has no relevance to a fourth subject giving your application an advantage, which it doesn't.
Reply 27
I have a vague memory of an applicant applying with 4 predicted A levels, getting through the interview and then wanting to drop one subject. I’m pretty sure it was an Oxbridge applicant but might have been another university, but either way they were told that as far as that uni was concerned, they’d tried to get an advantage in the application process by stating 4 A levels and as such their offer would be made conditional on the 4 subjects. So be careful!! If at some stage during the application process you discover that you are spreadingy yourself too thin, it might be too late to change your mind.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending