The Student Room Group

What to do after GCSEs?

I haven't done my GCSEs yet, but I am confused about what people usually do after you finish them...
If for example, I get very good GCSEs, 8s and 9s, what do I do next? Do I continue with A-Levels? I heard people talking about colleges. What are the options and which one is the best?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by deliascutaru
I haven't done my GCSEs yet, but I am confused about what people usually do after you finish them...
If for example, I get very good GCSEs, 8s and 9s, what do I do next? Do I continue with A-Levels? I heard people talking about colleges. What are the options and which one is the best?

What you do next is up to you. You could enter the world of work, do an apprenticeship or similar training, or continue in education.

If you continued in education, you could do A levels, BTECs, or other similar qualifications. (Those are the main two types, but there are plenty of others to choose from.)

I note that you say you've no yet done your GCSEs. Does that mean you about to start Year 11, and will be taking GCSEs next summer? If that's the case, then now is certainly the right time to be thinking beyond GCSEs. Have you given any thought as to what you'd like to do?

The only "best" option is that that which is best for you.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What you do next is up to you. You could enter the world of work, do an apprenticeship or similar training, or continue in education.

If you continued in education, you could do A levels, BTECs, or other similar qualifications. (Those are the main two types, but there are plenty of others to choose from.)

I note that you say you've no yet done your GCSEs. Does that mean you about to start Year 11, and will be taking GCSEs next summer? If that's the case, then now is certainly the right time to be thinking beyond GCSEs. Have you given any thought as to what you'd like to do?

The only "best" option is that that which is best for you.

Hey, thanks for the reply!😀 I thought about doing A-Levels. I am in Year 9 actually, I was just curious about my options. I don't want to make any last minute decisions... Thanks again!
Original post by deliascutaru
Hey, thanks for the reply!😀 I thought about doing A-Levels. I am in Year 9 actually, I was just curious about my options. I don't want to make any last minute decisions... Thanks again!

Year 9?! You're getting a tad ahead of yourself. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Year 9?! You're getting a tad ahead of yourself. :smile:

Thanks!😀

Quick Reply

Latest