The Student Room Group

Is abbrieviating television to "TV" in my personal statement too informal?

I am currently writing my personal statement to apply to film and television studies courses, and I was wondering if I'd have to say "television" in my personal statement, or if TV is okay? I don't want to waste characters since there's a 4000 character limit. One of the unis I'm applying to is a Russell Group if that makes any difference.
Original post by College student2
I am currently writing my personal statement to apply to film and television studies courses, and I was wondering if I'd have to say "television" in my personal statement, or if TV is okay? I don't want to waste characters since there's a 4000 character limit. One of the unis I'm applying to is a Russell Group if that makes any difference.

I think most Universities would prefer Television, but as long as the rest of your personal statement comes across as formal then it should not matter too much. Try to cut out words in other places where you can, and ask people to help read it and cut out words to help give you some space.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 2
Television is 10 characters. TV is two, so depending on the number of mentions, you gain 8 letters each time.
I’d read all the web pages of the unis and see how often TV is used. If they don’t use it, you don’t

You could always use Television (TV) to start with, before simply using the shortened version.
But use Television when describing each aspect of the industry?
Reply 3
It is always best to avoid abbreviations, even if very common, unless you define them in brackets at the first use

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending