The Student Room Group

Help! Need some advice with student finance as I’ve gone through clearing

Long story short my living situations have changed, thinking I’d have another year living with my friends family but I don’t. I’m trying to go through clearing so I don’t have to worry about finding a place to rent….

But this ultimately means unis start in a week/two and I don’t have any student finances (I am expecting £1k pay check to come in from my jobs) but ultimately I have little of my own money. Any advice what to do? Because I doubt I’m going to be able to get student finance through quickly.

Also would like to mention borrowing from parents isn’t an option as I don’t have any.
Original post by pixiebugzie
Long story short my living situations have changed, thinking I’d have another year living with my friends family but I don’t. I’m trying to go through clearing so I don’t have to worry about finding a place to rent….

But this ultimately means unis start in a week/two and I don’t have any student finances (I am expecting £1k pay check to come in from my jobs) but ultimately I have little of my own money. Any advice what to do? Because I doubt I’m going to be able to get student finance through quickly.

Also would like to mention borrowing from parents isn’t an option as I don’t have any.

Once you have a place at uni you will be able to apply for a student bank account. The main benefit of student accounts is the interest-free overdraft facility, which you could use to pay for some of the upfront costs like accommodation fees. Some are also offering a £100 incentive to sign up for an account. More info here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-bank-account/

If you are applying for more than the minimum maintenance loan (which I expect you need to), then processing a student finance application takes 6-8 weeks once you have submitted all the required evidence. It is worth informing your uni's student finance/records department that you will be applying late for finance. Most unis offer bursaries/hardship funds so it might be worth investigating those too.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Once you have a place at uni you will be able to apply for a student bank account. The main benefit of student accounts is the interest-free overdraft facility, which you could use to pay for some of the upfront costs like accommodation fees. Some are also offering a £100 incentive to sign up for an account. More info here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-bank-account/

If you are applying for more than the minimum maintenance loan (which I expect you need to), then processing a student finance application takes 6-8 weeks once you have submitted all the required evidence. It is worth informing your uni's student finance/records department that you will be applying late for finance. Most unis offer bursaries/hardship funds so it might be worth investigating those too.

Hi thank you so much for your response! Ngl I am kinda stressed out rn as I’m waiting for Monday to contact the unis! And unfortunately because of how last minute it is I don’t have too much money with me and I wasn’t 100% sure how overdraft worked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending