The Student Room Group

What is it like being a foundation year student?

Some people have said they were treated like a second class citizen at their uni because of it and that the lecturers talk to them like they’re second class citizens. I’m concerned about this
Original post by Anonymous
Some people have said they were treated like a second class citizen at their uni because of it and that the lecturers talk to them like they’re second class citizens. I’m concerned about this

Some people will be obnoxious about it, but they'll find anything to be obnoxious about. People looking down on foundation year students is not unheard of. Prove them wrong. Don't mess up your future because of a few snobs.
Reply 2
Original post by emilyalexandria
Some people will be obnoxious about it, but they'll find anything to be obnoxious about. People looking down on foundation year students is not unheard of. Prove them wrong. Don't mess up your future because of a few snobs.

I have an offer for a non foundation year course at a different uni but its in a diff subject. I plan on law conversion course afterwards. I’m doing a foundation year in history

Is it possible to hide I am doing a foundation year from other students ?
Hi there , I understand your concerns and yes it is true some students may treat you differently if you are on a foundation course but dependent on the social culture at the university you should never experience such from a lecturer.
At DMU we pride of ourselves on the dignity and respect we treat all our students with despite what course or at which level they study. Foundation courses are university courses and therefore are taught in the same buildings and lecture spaces as all other classes. As a foundation student you have access to all the same facilities and will receive a student card just like all other students , the only way someone will know that you are a foundation student is if you tell them.
Foundation is just one year , it will go by faster than you think and soon you'll be a first year student. You have earned your right to be in university and no one can change that and any student that makes you feel any less should not be in your social circle to begin with.
Good luck with your year ahead and I hope this helps !

Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
Reply 4
I did a foundation year last year in engineering and was worried about this too, but in my experience, no one really cared. You have access to all the same facilities, events and societies, so there's no need to hide that you're a foundation student because no one will know unless they're also doing foundation, or if you tell them. I joined an engineering society last year and got picked over other students who were in first year etc for a higher position in the team. So, really, it all comes down to the effort you put in as a student. Some people may look down on you, but pay no mind to it. Show them that they're wrong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending