The Student Room Group

Physicians Associate Applicants 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zenith180
Hey, so I have and no one has heard back from them. We called them this week as well. They said they are also working through medical school applications as well as PA. So might hear back next week.

Omg it’s all I’ve been thinking about, apparently one of my coursemates has received an offer last month so I’m confused.
Original post by Zenith180
Hey, so I have and no one has heard back from them. We called them this week as well. They said they are also working through medical school applications as well as PA. So might hear back next week.

Thank you though
Original post by DiamondDia
Thank you though

No problem, it might also be that there were several interview selection days. So they may have sent offers already to students from the 1st selection days. That's what happened last year apparently
I have my interview tomorrow (UWE Bristol) so I will let you know how it was 🙂
Hello, has anyone received an offer from University of reading Physician associate, I did the interview in December and still haven’t heard back from them
(edited 3 weeks ago)
I would like to get some clarity…and maybe some input from others also on this.

I am a mature student. No dependents. No children. Not married. But I own my property which comes with £16,000 worth of annual bills (mortgage, service charges, utilities, etc). That amount doesn’t even include food or travel.

Student finance, hypothetically speaking, will give me a loan of £9,000 for my course. I have JUST learnt that this isn’t per year…this is per whole entire course. So on a two year course, that’s £4,500 per year, paid in 3 installments.
NHS provide £5,000 for the course, at £2,500 per year that goes automatically towards my £11,650 annual tuition fee - making it a total of £9,150 remaining to pay.

If I’m permitted to pay by instalments, to coincide with SFL instalments, that still leaves me with additional £2k to fund.
On a full time, 5 days per week course.

Please someone tell me, if I am missing something (other than £16k that I also need to fund).

And as a slap in the face, when I looked at grants - from the few that are available (based on my age, and chosen degree), I am not entitled to any of them because eligibility states “students who’s parents are doctors”.

Considering that NHS 10 year plan is to get more PAs into the NHS…why are we not entitled to same funding as other students (med, dentistry, physiotherapists, nurses, etc)?

And from that I can see - despite BMA and GMC, there is no mention of additional funding.

So to all those existing students…in particular those who live on their own, mature students….how are you funding this, and supporting yourselves through the course on the 5 day per week schedule?
Because right now, having worked so hard to get through my undergraduates (and I mean, burnout, anxiety, depressions)…and working extra hard to get onto the course…I’m now faced with a potential of not even starting it. As sad as it may be.
Original post by Winston4
Hello, has anyone received an offer from University of reading Physician associate, I did the interview in December and still haven’t heard back from them

Yes if ur talking about undergrad
Original post by Tasha2511
I would like to get some clarity…and maybe some input from others also on this.
I am a mature student. No dependents. No children. Not married. But I own my property which comes with £16,000 worth of annual bills (mortgage, service charges, utilities, etc). That amount doesn’t even include food or travel.
Student finance, hypothetically speaking, will give me a loan of £9,000 for my course. I have JUST learnt that this isn’t per year…this is per whole entire course. So on a two year course, that’s £4,500 per year, paid in 3 installments.
NHS provide £5,000 for the course, at £2,500 per year that goes automatically towards my £11,650 annual tuition fee - making it a total of £9,150 remaining to pay.
If I’m permitted to pay by instalments, to coincide with SFL instalments, that still leaves me with additional £2k to fund.
On a full time, 5 days per week course.
Please someone tell me, if I am missing something (other than £16k that I also need to fund).
And as a slap in the face, when I looked at grants - from the few that are available (based on my age, and chosen degree), I am not entitled to any of them because eligibility states “students who’s parents are doctors”.
Considering that NHS 10 year plan is to get more PAs into the NHS…why are we not entitled to same funding as other students (med, dentistry, physiotherapists, nurses, etc)?
And from that I can see - despite BMA and GMC, there is no mention of additional funding.
So to all those existing students…in particular those who live on their own, mature students….how are you funding this, and supporting yourselves through the course on the 5 day per week schedule?
Because right now, having worked so hard to get through my undergraduates (and I mean, burnout, anxiety, depressions)…and working extra hard to get onto the course…I’m now faced with a potential of not even starting it. As sad as it may be.

The standard student loan for postgrads is £12000, spread over the cost of the course. Is there a reason why you would just get 9000? Some Masters courses are only a year long so it roughly covers tuition. I totally sympathise with your position, and agree about the general funding situation. From what I read, the PA course would not really be compatible with a part time job. Could you get a lodger? Not ideal but an option.
Original post by Anopheles
The standard student loan for postgrads is £12000, spread over the cost of the course. Is there a reason why you would just get 9000? Some Masters courses are only a year long so it roughly covers tuition. I totally sympathise with your position, and agree about the general funding situation. From what I read, the PA course would not really be compatible with a part time job. Could you get a lodger? Not ideal but an option.

Living outside of London and studying outside of London, is middle bracket...if not lower bracket. So, best guestimate....for 24/25 academic year it will be £9,900 tops?
Lodger - I could, but its finding the right person who I can trust too, and creating the spare room into a bedroom. Its far too small to hold a double bed. Single bed with a wardrobe doesn't even leave enough room to move around in, and then its the expense with that too.
Was hoping to maybe find a night work - back in the NHS as a HCA. But on Bank, they are not guaranteed.
Original post by Heiwjensb
Hello PA applicants. I’m a year 1 PA in study if anyone has any questions or help relating to the course more than happy to help. Good luck 😁

Hii! What textbooks would you highly recommend to help with the content? 😊
Anyone received offers from Manchester or Bolton?
Has anyone received an offer from CCCU yet?
Original post by he110!0000
Yes if ur talking about undergrad

Oh ok when did you receive the offer?
got an offer for reading MSc
Original post by `1uugujyjhgj
got an offer for reading MSc

Congrats! When was your interview?
Original post by ellashenton
Congrats! When was your interview?

thank u! it was on 8th April
Original post by `1uugujyjhgj
thank u! it was on 8th April