Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University 2024 Applicant Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Cardiff University 2024 Applicant Thread! :h:

For tips on preparing for university check out TSR's thread on Freshers on TSR: Getting Ready for University - Let's Share Top Tips!

Find information on the undergraduate courses available at Cardiff University here

You can use this space to ask any questions that you may have about the application process, courses or the university itself and we'll do our best to answer!

We are looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi!
I'm an international applicant so I'm unable to attend open days and meet other students, I was wondering if any international offer holders are considering Cardiff as one option. Let's chat!
I just received an offer for psychology this week, Are there any other psych offer holders here?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by varnikamehrotra
Hi!
I'm an international applicant so I'm unable to attend open days and meet other students, I was wondering if any international offer holders are considering Cardiff as one option. Let's chat!
I just received an offer for psychology this week, Are there any other psych offer holders here?

Hi!
Congratulations on the offer! Please let me know if you have any questions.
Best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
has anyone heard back about economics? I applied in December and have had nothing back yet
Original post by Anonymous #3
has anyone heard back about economics? I applied in December and have had nothing back yet

yes, just over two weeks ago
Hi, does anyone know when International students will start getting decisions? I applied to Human Geography, has anyone gotten offers yet?
Original post by Anonymous #5
Hi, does anyone know when International students will start getting decisions? I applied to Human Geography, has anyone gotten offers yet?

Hi, just to double check, did you apply through UCAS? :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hi, just to double check, did you apply through UCAS? :smile:

Indeed I did
Indeed I did

So international students get considered at the same time as home students, there's no separate pathway for international students or anything like that. There's no specific information at how quickly the admission tutors get to your application (since it depends school to school!) but universities must get a decision to you by 18th May, which is the deadline UCAS set. This is as long as you applied by the 31st January deadline. I hope that helps!

Hey, I’m an international student and I received an unconditional offer for Psychology on Friday. But tbf I’ve already done my A levels. I applied on Jan 30th I think. I’ll be honest though, having gone through UCAS before, it doesn’t really mean a massive amount imo whether other international students have replied. I think departments tend to do it in bulk so probably better to check if other people on your course have gotten an offer x
Original post by varnikamehrotra

Hi!

Me!!! I got an offer for psych and I’m an international student!! I really hope they’ve got a department specific virtual open day or applicant even soon!! Have you heard anything else about it?
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2

Hey there! Just wanted to say congratulations! It's a fantastic course.

Just to add on, I'm currently a psychology student on placement year, so if you had any questions specific to the course or placement year I'd be happy to answer them! :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep

Hi!! Why’d you decide to apply for the psych degree with the placement year over the one without? Is one more competitive than the other? Is there an option to switch between them at some point after submitting your UCAS form/getting offers etc?
Original post by maths2024.
Hi - had an offer yesterday for Maths for 2024 start. Have achieved grades so think that's why I heard early. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas re: accommodation that's relatively close (catered, if available, would be even better) - I think maths is in the new Abacws Building. I'm joining after a gap year (disability) so don't mind sharing with any year. Thanks

Hey, I’m also on a little time out bc of health/disability reasons. I got an offer recently from Cardiff for psychology so not the same course but I was wondering if you’d found out anything more disability-related regarding Cardiff uni?
Reply 52
Original post by craftywizardboy
If anyone has been accepted for the MSc for Software Engineering with/without a placement year hit me up.

Hi! I’ve applied for the BSc software engineering and am considering MSc upon completion, have you heard back from your application yet?

Anyone else with software or comp science applications heard back? Thanks all! Keeping my fingers crossed…
Original post by DopamineDeficit
Hi!! Why’d you decide to apply for the psych degree with the placement year over the one without? Is one more competitive than the other? Is there an option to switch between them at some point after submitting your UCAS form/getting offers etc?

Hi! So I knew before I went to university that I wanted to do a placement year - purely because I had family who did one when they went to uni, and I saw how much of a rewarding experience it was! Getting a year long experience before I graduate from uni sounded like a really valuable experience to me, especially with how competitive getting a job can be 🙂

And I would say no to the second question. It isn't particularly more competitive I would say, since you're doing the exact same course - just adding an extra year. You're actually part of the same cohort - I was doing year 1 and year 2 with students who didn't choose to do a placement.

And yes to the last question! I wouldn't say there really is a point in switching as early as after getting offers/sending your UCAS off since the course encourages later opportunities to do so. You get to choose to switch whether you wanted to do placement up until mid-way through 2nd year. I know some students who chose to do a placement year, but ended up dropping out when it came to applications, and other students who actually only applied to the 3-year course but then ended up switching to a placement year :smile: This is because the list of contacts, or the placement job board the school offers, is open to all psych students who is in that particular year 2 cohort. You are able to switch from the 3 year BSc when you are given an offer by a placement organisation. So, you don't miss out on the opportunity even when you choose only the 3 year course.

(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by DopamineDeficit
Hey, I’m also on a little time out bc of health/disability reasons. I got an offer recently from Cardiff for psychology so not the same course but I was wondering if you’d found out anything more disability-related regarding Cardiff uni?

Hi! There is a lot of disability support available at the uni 🙂 We have the Disability and Dyslexia service, where you can get an appointment with a staff member there and you have a conversation about what changes the course can make for you to help support you. This can be changes from making lecture content more accessible to the exam itself. I've used this service myself and it's quite helpful because once I've had the initial conversation with them, I didn't have to keep reapplying every year (unless of course, your needs change). The good thing about this service as well is that you don't need to send an application for the DSA to access this support.

There's also a support worker service - which provides note-takers, readers, library support etc. You do need to apply for the DSA to access this though.

The uni recommends though, that you contact their disability service so that you can have as much of an easier transition to university 🙂 Their email is: [email protected]

I hope that helps,
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 55
Original post by cheesebeans21
Just got an offer for Business Management and Marketing with placement. Offer AAB!

I got the exact same offer! I‘m quite sure I want to go to Cardiff so potentially I’ll see you around 🙂 (Sorry if that‘s a bit forward I‘m just so excited to see someone else with the same course and uni)
Original post by amy.jxp
I got the exact same offer! I‘m quite sure I want to go to Cardiff so potentially I’ll see you around 🙂 (Sorry if that‘s a bit forward I‘m just so excited to see someone else with the same course and uni)

Same, I never see many people with the same course either hehe. Where else have you applied? I have offers from York and Exeter as well but am waiting for bath which would be my firm. I think either Cardiff or Exeter would be my insurance
Reply 57
Same, I never see many people with the same course either hehe. Where else have you applied? I have offers from York and Exeter as well but am waiting for bath which would be my firm. I think either Cardiff or Exeter would be my insurance

I have an offer from York (I‘m actually at the offer holder day today), Southampton and Reading, still waiting on Exeter. I‘m stuck choosing between York and Cardiff.
Original post by amy.jxp
I have an offer from York (I‘m actually at the offer holder day today), Southampton and Reading, still waiting on Exeter. I‘m stuck choosing between York and Cardiff.
Nice, I wanted to go to the offer holder day in York just to see what its like but i didn't want to spend £100 on the train lol. How was it, any interesting info they said?
Reply 59
Nice, I wanted to go to the offer holder day in York just to see what its like but i didn't want to spend £100 on the train lol. How was it, any interesting info they said?
The campus is nice and I like how the course involves a lot of maths (bsc course), but I personally prefer Cardiff for the location and flexible course so I think I will go there 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending