The Student Room Group

Advice for someone that wasted their uni years

I'm in my final year of my biology degree, I had constantly been doing the bare minimum and so I have 0 other experiences or qualifications or anything someone might have done and achieved during their university lifetime. I've had a change in perspective and ambitions and I was wondering what I could do and where I could begin in making up for my missing achievements. Any sources of information such as websites or books or even events to look into that could help me catch up.
Reply 1
Get a job.
Volunteer.
Learn a new skill.
Join a club.
Engage in life generally really.

The other thing you could consider is to ham up what little experiences you have gained through minimal effort in the hope you get an interview for something half decent and then bluster your way through the interview. It certainly worked for those in senior positions in our government.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my final year of my biology degree, I had constantly been doing the bare minimum and so I have 0 other experiences or qualifications or anything someone might have done and achieved during their university lifetime. I've had a change in perspective and ambitions and I was wondering what I could do and where I could begin in making up for my missing achievements. Any sources of information such as websites or books or even events to look into that could help me catch up.

Hi,
Gaining other skills and experiences out with your studies definitely sets you well for the future and for job applications. One thing to consider is the time you have available because usually final years of study can be quite intense.
Sometimes your course lecturers can be a good starting place to ask if they know of any work placements available to get some hands on/ observation experience.
Having a part-time job can also be good for developing skills. Also engaging with university clubs and societies - there may be one related to your course or interests so have a look.
Best wishes for your final year! Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Anon,

Depending on how intense your timetable is for third year, you could either try and attend some biology conferences, do an online training course (on a subject that interests you or on a topic that would help you develop more skills), or join a society which doesn't require you to attend every week but shows that you have other interests outside science.

You might also be able to volunteer to help at a charity for a couple of hours each week e.g. a food bank.

If all else fails, you could wait until you have completed your studies and then you could do something over the summer e.g. help with a project abroad.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous

Hello,
Well done on taking the initiative and putting yourself out there!

I would suggest looking into any volunteering/work experience opportunities available in your area or anything connected to your degree or whatever interests you. You could sign up to be an online tutor, mainly focusing on Biology as it is your area of expertise . I would suggest signing up on LinkedIn and searching for tutoring jobs on there, there are also volunteering opportunities you can look for through LinkedIn and Internships.

You could also sign up to be a Peer Mentor through your University department/faculty or a student representative/ambassador, Universities often advertise roles like that.

Maybe start attending more talks/seminars hosted by Professors or joining committees like a society committee or anything similar to it.

Goodluck and I hope this information helps!

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending