The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heartz4moushi
Whoa, that's actually really good! I will definitely be using this. Thats actually a really smart way of looking at it, tysm!

And yhh could you pls send some other things since this was one of the hardest poems for me to understand even as someone who got level 6 in poetry, and my teacher spent only one lesson on this, since we were falling behind other classes and my mocks were about to begin in a week and we did no revision, even though its so confusing?? (we usually spend 2 lessons per poem). tyvm for taking the time to reply to me :smile:

no worries! I'm glad it helped. this point is just continuing from the previous point.

the connection of sibilance and tissue lies within the thematic elements they share; sibilance with its soft, hissing sound can be reminiscent of a delicate, soft tissue-like texture. in tissue, by Darker, tissue serves to create a metaphor for the fragility of human existence, history and impermanence of power and control. the use of sibilance enhances use, the readers sensory experience, making tissue metaphor more poignant by emphasising the delicacy and ephemeral nature of human life and history.

structure

In Tissue by Imtiaz Dharker, the poem is written in quatrains and has a consistent and rigid structure. This serves as a poignant metaphor for the restrictive nature of human power. The verses mirror the way societal norms and authority tightly shape individual lives. The poem's form symbolizes the fragility, highlighting the inescapable influence of those in power. The controlled structure form discreetly hints at how human power shapes and limits our experiences.

The mention of religious scriptures such as the 'Quran' the makes the poem more serious. It adds a sense of reverence, as if paper is being connected to something sacred. This religious imagery makes us think more deeply about the poem's meaning and the important role paper plays in our lives.

(counts as language as well). Another thing I was thinking was it has a lot of enjambment, which essentially 'mimics' human tone, almost as if humans have become part of paper itself. you could interpret this in you own way but i believe it greatly ties in with the theme of identity and power.

paper in general
this was just a thought I had regarding the poem, and I found it quite interesting.

Imtiaz Dharker subtly explores the theme of power, portraying the notion that the influence over human existence often lies in unexpected hands. The extreme detail of of paper in the poem mirrors our societal dependence on it for documentation and validation: birth certificate, marriage, degrees etc. It becomes evident that the delicate tissue holds authority, mirroring the way in which the fragile material controls aspects of human life. The poem suggests a broader theme that power isn't always held in human hands but can reside in the fragility of inanimate things. The poem may also be suggesting that without paper, our lives would be in disarray. Everything, from important documents to daily routines, revolves around this simple material. It makes us realize how crucial paper is to our existence and that it dominates humanity.

some more points but not in great detail. feel free to give your own interpretation of them :smile:

'with living tissue, raise a structure that never meant to last.' gives an ominous allusion of war and terrorism. you could talk about 911 and its significance.

much of history was documented on paper, and it was lost for example in the burning of Library of Alexandria. much of history's significance has been lost.

theres a notion that life is worthless when compared to materialistic wants and needs such as money.

line 21-24 . Dharker is essentially critising the importance humanity places on money.

I hope this information is helpful for your mocks. Best of luck!
(edited 4 months ago)
Also, I could use some feedback on some of my essays (poetry) as well as blood brothers analysis and how to structure the answers. practically, I've had to learn the entire play on my own and I struggle with formulating a response appropriate of a grade 9 level so if anyone has any tips please do let me know! (although this is quite late and my mock is tomorrow hahahah)
Original post by Kiwi salad
Also, I could use some feedback on some of my essays (poetry) as well as blood brothers analysis and how to structure the answers. practically, I've had to learn the entire play on my own and I struggle with formulating a response appropriate of a grade 9 level so if anyone has any tips please do let me know! (although this is quite late and my mock is tomorrow hahahah)

Hey there!
Thank you so much for you help on tissue firstly, and secondly I could help you with the poetry feedback since I've got a level 6 for every poem I've compared. I don't do blood brothers but for poetry I could deffo give some advice!
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hi everyone:smile: I'm a year 11 student, and my exam board is AQA English Lit. I am currently working at grade 7 as a whole, and in my recent set of mocks, I got a 6. In my Macbeth essay, I got an 8. However in P&C and unseen, I got a 5 and a 4. I know I have the ability to write even better, but it just seems like I can't do it. It's so frustrating, especially when literature is the only subject where my grades are stuck and won't go up.
Anyone willing got help me out and give me some advice (esp on poetry!) ? Thank you so much x
Hi, Anyone know how to revise english literature? Should I memorise three main ideas about each character/ poem and memorise the quotes related to that main idea?
Does any one have an eassy written about ghost in christmas carol
Hey there!
Thank you so much for you help on tissue firstly, and secondly I could help you with the poetry feedback since I've got a level 6 for every poem I've compared. I don't do blood brothers but for poetry I could deffo give some advice!

I'm glad I could help :smile:

The question was 'how is power portrayed in MLD and in one other poem?'

In my last duchess by Robert Browning and ozymandias by percy bysshe shelley, power is visibly shown in the hands of tyrants, get the aftermath of that power is shown in different ways. In my last duchess, Robert Browning uses a dramatic monologue in which the speaker, the Duke of Ferrara, is addressing a visitor. The length of the poem serves to illustrate the Duke's controlling nature by depicting how he dominates the conversation without allowing the other person to speak. However, this 'power' almost ridicules him because his incessant talking showcases his extreme sense of self-importance, which ultimately reveals his absurdity and self-obsession. This emphasizes the aspects of his character, making him appear more preposterous and self-centered.

Furthermore, the Duke's power is evidently seen through his late wife. This can be seen from the very title of the poem 'my last duchess'. The possessive pronoun 'my' indicates how the Duke of Ferrara owned his wife his wife as a materialistic possession, and did not view her as a human. This could have been due to societal norms in Italy 16th century as women were often subjugated under the ruling of men. therefore, the Duke believes she was incapable of formulating emotions and actions that did not serve him as she 'thanked' too much and not to him.

Morever, the Duke bestows his ancient family name upon the Duchess, expecting that the historical significance and prestige of his '900 year old name' would be sufficient to command power and respect over her. This reflects his belief in the influence of his aristocratic heritage and the idea that the mere association with his 'name' holds power and authority; an inanimate name is valued and given more power than the Duke himself, signifying that as long as the historical name is passed down, so does the power.

This differs drastically to ozymandias where shelley Shelley conveys the futility of human power when confronted with the relentless, ephemeral force of nature. The despot in this poem was supposedly ramses II. He was depicted as a mighty ruler through his inscription 'look on my works ye might and despair!' However, the statues current state with "two vast and trunkless legs of stone" and a "shattered visage," reveals the impact of time and nature against human power. Thus highlights the irony that the ruler, who believed to be unmatched, has been reduced to a forgotten relic, showing that his power is so little as compared to the natural elements.

This is further depicted through the length of the poem. Ozymandias reign was supposedly long and miserable, evidently known by everyone soon. However, the length of the poem is severely short, shivh mocks ramses II as his legacy has crumbled into obscurity. This is further ridiculed as the poem begins with someone who told this 'story' from an 'antique land.' An antiquated land is often associated with fairy tales and mythology, which is perhaps ridiculing him as people may believe he wasn't even real.

Ozymandias and my last duchess are similar in the sense that both of the authoritative figures were tyrants with excessive hubris, pride and materialism, which was fueled by their power. However, both poets illustrate the effects of power as negative, which ultimately leads to an individuals downfall.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by shiftycatz
Hi, so I do AQA as my exam board, and my texts are Macbeth, A Christmas Carol and an Inspector Calls, and for poetry, I do Power n Conflict. I'm extremely nervous for my English mocks and real thing- are there any yr 11's or even a-level students who are aiming for 8's and 9's and can help me out, with basic revision, and what the exam board would like to see? Ty in advance xx

Hiiii I'm a predicted 9 and I'd love to study w u xxxx
I'm glad I could help :smile:

The question was 'how is power portrayed in MLD and in one other poem?'

In my last duchess by Robert Browning and ozymandias by percy bysshe shelley, power is visibly shown in the hands of tyrants, get the aftermath of that power is shown in different ways. In my last duchess, Robert Browning uses a dramatic monologue in which the speaker, the Duke of Ferrara, is addressing a visitor. The length of the poem serves to illustrate the Duke's controlling nature by depicting how he dominates the conversation without allowing the other person to speak. However, this 'power' almost ridicules him because his incessant talking showcases his extreme sense of self-importance, which ultimately reveals his absurdity and self-obsession. This emphasizes the aspects of his character, making him appear more preposterous and self-centered.

Furthermore, the Duke's power is evidently seen through his late wife. This can be seen from the very title of the poem 'my last duchess'. The possessive pronoun 'my' indicates how the Duke of Ferrara owned his wife his wife as a materialistic possession, and did not view her as a human. This could have been due to societal norms in Italy 16th century as women were often subjugated under the ruling of men. therefore, the Duke believes she was incapable of formulating emotions and actions that did not serve him as she 'thanked' too much and not to him.

Morever, the Duke bestows his ancient family name upon the Duchess, expecting that the historical significance and prestige of his '900 year old name' would be sufficient to command power and respect over her. This reflects his belief in the influence of his aristocratic heritage and the idea that the mere association with his 'name' holds power and authority; an inanimate name is valued and given more power than the Duke himself, signifying that as long as the historical name is passed down, so does the power.

This differs drastically to ozymandias where shelley Shelley conveys the futility of human power when confronted with the relentless, ephemeral force of nature. The despot in this poem was supposedly ramses II. He was depicted as a mighty ruler through his inscription 'look on my works ye might and despair!' However, the statues current state with "two vast and trunkless legs of stone" and a "shattered visage," reveals the impact of time and nature against human power. Thus highlights the irony that the ruler, who believed to be unmatched, has been reduced to a forgotten relic, showing that his power is so little as compared to the natural elements.

This is further depicted through the length of the poem. Ozymandias reign was supposedly long and miserable, evidently known by everyone soon. However, the length of the poem is severely short, shivh mocks ramses II as his legacy has crumbled into obscurity. This is further ridiculed as the poem begins with someone who told this 'story' from an 'antique land.' An antiquated land is often associated with fairy tales and mythology, which is perhaps ridiculing him as people may believe he wasn't even real.

Ozymandias and my last duchess are similar in the sense that both of the authoritative figures were tyrants with excessive hubris, pride and materialism, which was fueled by their power. However, both poets illustrate the effects of power as negative, which ultimately leads to an individuals downfall.

Hi!
This is quite a good response so well done! But there are definitely some things that I would say you need to work on.
So I want to first start by outlining how, correct me if I'm wrong, that there is no structure in the middle of your response? i can see a clear intro and conclusion but there is no initially and ultimately paragraphs in the middle.
Regarding with the actually content of your response however, you've definitely hit some of the AO2 marks (understanding of writer's language) and talked about lots of context too which would get you some AO3 marks. However, I would say that even the analysis of your quotes need refining. You're not using an analysis structure for all of your quotes like mentioning the device being used (one of the key things to get you AO2 marks), a key word, perceptive suggested meaning, alternative interpretations etc.
for example. in ozymandias, the words 'decay', 'sunk', 'shattered', and 'wreck' are a lexical field of violence.
'decay' - deterioration over time/rotten
'shattered' - broken into lots of pieces, unrecognisable
Shelley uses this to show the ephemeral and therefore limited power of the pharaoh - the statue that was built in 'honour' of him and in purpose so that its lasts a very long time has succumbed to the power of nature and had been completely ruined. The poet could also be critiquing how Rameses II's corrupt power as this could arguably also be another reason why his statue and legacy has deteriorated.
Now, the analysis has more of a flow to it and it shows the examiners how you are able to effectively pick out purposeful techniques used by the poets so that they can convey their message. and linking to this, you also rarely talk about AO1 (writer's key messages and ideas) except for in the intro and conclusion. You have to weave it into the analysis because your quotes are used in order to back up the poet's perspective on the issue they outline. And AO1 is worth 12 marks, so you want to try and maximise talking about this.
Another thing is the flow of your response. In the beginning you are spending way to much time talking about MLD. What you want to do is in your intro summarise BOTH of the poems and what happens. You can mention structure and form in this part (something you've already done anyways)
Second, start of with an initially point that is similar between the two poems. In MLD and Ozymandias it is that both poets criticise the arrogance of man (through ozymandias' totalitarian leadership and the duke's patriarchal objectification of his late wife). Then start talking about the named poem which in your case in MLD, and analyse one quote. Then talk about the comparative poem. then go back to the named poem, and for the final one you can the other poem (dont have to use 4 quotes and talk about 2 from 1 and then 1 from the other)
Thirdly, write up your ultimately paragraph which shows the differences (in ozymandias, shelley reveals the ephemeral power of man and that it is nothing in the face of nature, and in MLD browning undermines the 'power' of the duke as his actions are dictated by his impulses and emotions and therefore have no clarity of mind). follow the same structure as initially paragraph.
conclusion is just outlining the solution of the problem and what the author wants us to do to change/ or want us to realise, depending on the poem.
If you do this, your responses should start sounding much more fluid and well thought out.
anddd, i just noticed you wrote 'ephemeral force of nature'. ephemeral means temporary and it's not used to describe nature but the power of man. just make sure you keep that in mind :smile:
If you want, in case this wasnt very clear to you which i wouldnt be surprised if it wasn't😂 , i can send you a model paragraph, of what i mean by having a cleaner structure to your response, on a comparative essay i did on The Emigree and Kamikaze and got a level 6 on (26-30 marks)!
Sorry for the late reply, but I hope this helped x😊
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi, Anyone know how to revise english literature?Should I memorise three main ideas about eachcharacter/ poem and memorise the quotes related to thatmain idea?
Original post by I love chemistry
Hi, Anyone know how to revise english literature?Should I memorise three main ideas about eachcharacter/ poem and memorise the quotes related to thatmain idea?

I honestly have no set revision method for English but your idea is pretty good. At the end of the day you need to find what works for you and what is the most effective by trying out a variety of things. How to revise is unique for everyone
Hi!
This is quote a good response so weel done! But there are definitely some things that I would say you need to work on.
So I want to first start by outlining how, correct me if I'm wrong, that there is no structure in the middle of your response? i can see a clear intro and conclusion but there is no initially and ultimately paragraphs in the middle.
Regarding with the actually content of your response however, you've definitely hit some of the AO2 marks (understanding of writer's language) and talked about lots of context too which would get you some AO3 marks. However, I would say that even the analysis of your quotes need refining. You're not using an analysis structure for all of your quotes like mentioning the device being used (one of the key things to get you AO2 marks), a key word, perceptive suggested meaning, alternative interpretations etc.
for example. in ozymandias, the words 'decay', 'sunk', 'shattered', and 'wreck' are a lexical field of violence.
'decay' - deterioration over time/rotten
'shattered' - broken into lots of pieces, unrecognisable
Shelley uses this to show the ephemeral and therefore limited power of the pharaoh - the statue that was built in 'honour' of him and in purpose so that its lasts a very long time has succumbed to the power of nature and had been completely ruined. The poet could also be critiquing how Rameses II's corrupt power as this could arguably also be another reason why his statue and legacy has deteriorated.
Now, the analysis has more of a flow to it and it shows the examiners how you are able to effectively pick out purposeful techniques used by the poets so that they can convey their message. and linking to this, you also rarely talk about AO1 (writer's key messages and ideas) except for in the intro and conclusion. You have to weave it into the analysis because you're quotes are used in order to back up the poet's perspective on the issue they outline. And AO1 is worth 12 marks, so you want to try and maximise talking about this.
Another thing is the flow of your response. In the beginning you are spending way to much time talking about MLD. What you want to do is in your intro summarise BOTH of the poems and what happens. You can mention structure and form in this part (something you've already done anyways)
Second, start of with an initially point that is similar between the two poems. In MLD and Ozymandias it is that both poets criticise the arrogance of man (through ozymandias' totalitarian leadership and the duke's patriarchal objectification of his late wife). Then start talking about the named poem which in your case in MLD, and analyse one quote. Then talk about the comparative poem. then go back to the named poem, and for the final one you can the other poem (dont have to use 4 quotes and talk about 2 from 1 and then 1 from the other)
Thirdly, write up your ultimately paragraph which shows the differences (in ozymandias, shelley reveals the ephemeral power of man and that it is nothing in the face of nature, and in MLD browning undermines the 'power' of the duke as his actions are dictated by his impulses and emotions and therefore have no clarity of mind). follow the same structure as initially paragraph.
conclusion is just outlining the solution of the problem and what the author wants us to do to change/ or want us to realise, depending on the poem.
If you do this, your responses should start sounding much more fluid and well though out.
anddd, i just noticed you wrote 'ephemeral force of nature'. ephemeral means temporary and it's not used to describe nature but the power of man. just make sure you keep that in mind :smile:
If you want, in case this wasnt very clear to you which i wouldnt be surprised if it wasn't😂 , i can send you a model paragraph, of what i mean by having a cleaner structure to your response, on a comparative essay i did on The Emigree and Kamikaze and got a level 6 on (26-30 marks)!
Sorry for the late reply, but I hope this helped x😊

Thank you for the response! I did do two or three paragraphs regarding structure but I have forgotten them ahaha. Yes, please do send me your model answer. Again, I can't thank you enough I really appreciate it. Ah also, it was everlasting I meant to write, not ephemeral oops.
(edited 4 months ago)
Thank you for the response! I did do two or three paragraphs regarding structure but I have forgotten them ahaha. Yes, please do send me your model answer. Again, I can't thank you enough I really appreciate it. Ah also, it was everlasting I meant to write, not ephemeral oops.

Yh I guessed it was just a silly mistake😂
And I just realised I message you here due to you still being a new member.
Is there any other way I could contact you? Social media?
Only asking since my response is long and would take literal FOREVER to type up and it would be easier to send the pics x
has anyone done any of their english mocks yet? if so, how it it go for you? was it good/ bad? anything in particular you really liked/disliked? did it go as you wished it to or is there something you would've changed?
best wishes for the holiday szn xx
Yh I guessed it was just a silly mistake😂
And I just realised I message you here due to you still being a new member.
Is there any other way I could contact you? Social media?
Only asking since my response is long and would take literal FOREVER to type up and it would be easier to send the pics x

Ah yes I have instagram and discord, but other than that I don't use anything else apologies.
Ah yes I have instagram and discord, but other than that I don't use anything else apologies.

do you mind sending any of them? either is fine!
Original post by Sarah21456
Does any one have an eassy written about ghost in christmas carol

?????
Yeah sure. Discord is Kiwisalad_ and insta is kiwisalad_29.

I sent a msg but can’t send the pictures until you add back😀
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Pwca

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

can someone please mark my essay!!!

Compare how the poets present ideas about power in ‘My last duchess’ and ‘Ozymandias’ (30 marks)
[start]In both My last duchess and Ozymandias, the poets present ideas about power by creating protagonists of tyrannical males to highlight the extent of their cruel regimes, suggesting a patriarchal environment when both poems were written. Both poets also portray arrogance that comes alongside this power by focusing on a subject: a painting in my last duchess and a statue in Ozymandias.[/start]
[start]In Browning’s ‘My last duchess’ the reader is first introduced to the reoccurring motif of possession by the pronoun of ‘my’. This use of directness conveys the extent of the duke’s ownership over his wife, she is merely his property, left to be unnamed throughout the poem to illustrate her insignificance to him; dispensable. The poem is a form of non-fiction, about Duke Alfonso of Italy during the Renaissance period. ‘Renaissance’ connotes to the concept of rebirth, new ideologies, and discoveries but this did not impact the role of women, making life even harder due to the instability of politics in Italy. Marriage and bearing children were weaponised and it now determined the political power of a family. Browning explores this issue by placing the poem in a dramatic monologue format. The duke dominates the conversation, leaving the reader to view his wife through his eyes, discussing an affair, ‘her looks went everywhere’ disregarding her recount of events and moves onto his next duchess in order to remain stability in society. Browning may use this blurred perspective to shed light on how authorial figures will commit immoral acts, like how the duke alludes to murdering his own wife, ‘I gave commands, then all smiles stopped together’, in order to stay in power.[/start]
[start]This impression is similar in Shelley’s ‘Ozymandias’, where she demonstrates this corruption of power in the Pharaohs dictatorship, ‘sneer of cold command’, by use of alliteration, Shelley presents the Pharoah’s aggressive and heartless tone of the plosive ‘c’ to demonstrate how by terror and force, he kept his subjects in line. ‘Ozymandias’ is also a non-fiction poem based on Ramesses the second of Egypt, set thousands of years before the Italian Renaissance era, although both themes of patriarchy are prevalent, demonstrating the everlasting, damaging effects of patriarchy on society today. Shelley also emphasises this immorality by dehumanising those under the Pharoah’s rule, ‘stamped on these lifeless things’ linking back to the theme of a hunger to maintain power in both poems. However, both poems display different viewpoints of this attitude towards power. Shelley’s poem is written in first person, through an omniscient speaker to distance himself from the underlying political messages shown in the poem, as Shelley was a radical and a romantic poet who focused on enlightening key issues that were socially acceptable in the Victorian era, creating an undertone of mockery through this in order to criticise those in positions of high-ranking power, how the pharaohs rule undermined everyone beneath him. This is similar to Browning as he is too a romantic poet, displaying a hidden tone of mockery to be recognised by a modern audience by use of the dukes’ erratic thoughts, ‘my gift of a nine-hundred-years old name with anybody’s gift’, to present to the reader, by also using a first-person perspective, his domineering presence, allowing nobody else’s judgement to cloud his, exaggerating this arrogance.[/start]
[start] [/start]
[start]Both poets also present ideas about power by channelling the symbolic nature of images commemorated to powerful figures: the painting of the duchess and Neptune statue by Browning and the Pharoh statue by Shelley. This allows for exploration of dramatic irony surrounding these dictators, who fail to realise that power doesn’t last forever. In Shelley’s ‘Ozymandias’, the Pharoah’s statue was built in the Egyptian period with the intent to remind his subjects of the longevity of his power, however this statue is now just described as ‘trunkless legs of stone stand in the desert’. This creates a tone of irony; this statue was once viewed as a symbol of the almighty, with god-like features to tower over everyone beneath but is now purely a block of ‘stone’ with no torso to stand up, shrinking into the sand over time losing its relevance. Shelley uses this phrase of sarcasm to create an allegory that anyone who holds great power will eventually drift away until they are just a grain of sand, wanting the reader to not take for granted the influence of change they can’t create before they to meet the same fate.[/start]
[start]This is different in ‘My last duchess’ as Browning uses the painting to objectify his late wife to enhance the control he has over her. At the beginning, the painting is the key focus to illustrate how although the late duchess is no longer present and is now supposedly ‘free’ from the duke, in reality she is still entrapped in his reins. The duke still has her present in his home ‘the curtain I have drawn for you, but I’, she is to be admired but he now has this new sense of freedom to open and close to passersby at his command, which was taken from him before when she ‘rode with round the terrace’, so by use of the painting, patriarchal values are realigned, she is a mere spectacle not a woman with a voice. Browning also emphasizes the duke’s power by creating a cyclical structure at the end with a new imagery of a statue, alike to Ozymandias, to return back to the duke’s power being reinforced by commemorative symbols, but also creates a sombre tone to a modern-day reader: all his money and power will never buy him true love, creating a never-ending cycle of corruption and greed. Rather than the statue being an image of himself, its instead ‘Neptune taming a sea horse’. This creates an allusion to the Roman God of the sea, how his power has formatted into having a god-complex, seeing women as the ‘sea horse’, as a possession to ‘tame’, training them to obey and be a insignificant role in an metaphorical ocean, filled with different species (alike to his art collection).[/start]
Reply 59
Original post by Pwca

Specifications

can someone read this and give me feedback
its more of a layout not the final result

People came and went, minding their business while some others (including myself) stopped and absorbed the positive energy emitted by the sun.It gazed at me. I looked up,its overwhelming rays dominated the open space I was dwelling in as the clouds separated and gave way. Not many words could describe the peace I was experiencing. The tranquillity of the area, the freedom and the warmth. I loved it. “a new start”, I said to myself. Repeating it over and over again, trying to forget the past. It was done. Never to be rekindled. I started to believe in my own words. If only they were true
Slowly, I took a deep breath embracing the fresh air. Everything just seemed to be so perfect. No needless noise; no abrupt noises from kids; no fighting over silly situations. Just quietude. I could taste the sweet aroma that drifted from the bakeries nearby. The tips of my fingers tingle with excitement. The famous bread that many people would travel for. I craved it. my walking sped up which was caused by my excitement that i was struggling to contain; whilst ignoring the deep and concentrated heat despite it being comparable to Dante's inferno. Regardless of this, i trudged on.
Slowly but surely, I arrived at my destination. But something wasn't right. Where was the shop. Instantly I pulled out my phone. Rushing to find a reason. Was my map not right? Did I get lost? It made no sense. “Surely there must be an issue. I told myself. Before I knew it I found myself going to ask people but something felt peculiar. People are all walking in one direction. As if attracted to something. With nothing better to do I followed their lead. Confusion took over me as I started questioning this strange behaviour. That's when it started. The sun hid away; the sky darkened. Followed by an eruption of noise. Something off-putting. Shadows conquered the space. Fear struck me. Questions overflowed. “What's going on?” I asked desperately but no response followed. The area I had thought was perfect suddenly mimicked my past. The light had vanished just to be overridden by nothingness. I looked up and saw wings. Birds painted the sky blocking any light in the process. Perhaps migration, I thought. Oh how I wished that was the case. Then maybe “that wouldn't have happened”
The thumping sound increased, almost distorted. Creating an eerie atmosphere only known to those that experienced it. Something abnormal. My heart pounded with each passing moment. I hoped for this dreadful moment to pass and be gone. But it didn't. It was as if time paused intentionally; keeping me in this cycle of fear and confusion; punishing me for my past sins. I looked around desperately trying to conjure up an explanation that would rid me of this moment. Yet no clues were revealed to me. How I wished I fled that terrible place. Then maybe, just maybe “that wouldn't have taken place”.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending