The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,

I'm an English Tutor and I'm doing my degree in English. If anyone needs any help or has specific questions feel free to drop me a pm. I'm more than happy to help!
Need advice with English Lit, barely predicted a 7 but a 6 is more my level rn. Main problem is using a comfortable paragraph structure that can help me implement what is needed for grades 8/9. Any accroynms/ideas?
Im doing my mocks this month. I do aqa english lit and the power and conflict anthology. what are the best 5/6 poems to know that link to all the other poems?
Personally I would say, my last duchess, ozymandias, remains, war photographer, exposure and maybe charge of the light brigade or emigree
Original post by Hatekittens12345
Personally I would say, my last duchess, ozymandias, remains, war photographer, exposure and maybe charge of the light brigade or emigree

Thanks
personally, kamikaze is the best poem as it links to so many themes that could come up in the exam
Original post by ibrahim_hu2008
personally, kamikaze is the best poem as it links to so many themes that could come up in the exam

i second this, could talk about kamikaze all day.
Reply 67
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hii
so my examboard is AQA
and in my school we r studying:
An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol, Macbeth, and for the poetry we are doing Love and Relationship (the least popular- i think-i dojnt know mnay people who study L&R-only me?)
aswell as unseen poetry
i would really like to get 7s+
i dont rlly enjoy it but i guess im able to memorise quotes
its just teh paragraphs need more prcatice-creating an arguement?
any tips??
Original post by sra_heh14
hii
so my examboard is AQA
and in my school we r studying:
An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol, Macbeth, and for the poetry we are doing Love and Relationship (the least popular- i think-i dojnt know mnay people who study L&R-only me?)
aswell as unseen poetry
i would really like to get 7s+
i dont rlly enjoy it but i guess im able to memorise quotes
its just teh paragraphs need more prcatice-creating an arguement?
any tips??

Lol, I don't know many people who study Love and relationships either, but I do! I can confidently say it was so hard to find resources but honestly PMT and the glow up your grades youtube channel SAVED ME
Reply 69
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Lol, I don't know many people who study Love and relationships either, but I do! I can confidently say it was so hard to find resources but honestly PMT and the glow up your grades youtube channel SAVED ME

yh i use those
glow up grades i foudn and shes good
Reply 70
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hii i do edexcel english lit and well its my weak point 😭😭
i prefer language over this because i struggle with remembering quotes and how to structure my paragraph, time management as well is something i struggle with so that definitely needs more practice
i do

power and conflict poetry anthology

romeo and juliet

jekyll and hyde

refugee boy (really upsetting because most ppl do inspector calls and theres barely any refugee boy resources online :frown:)

Reply 71
Would anyone recommend which poems that go well with each other for comparing? I'm doing Power & Conflict AQA
Thanks in advance x
Hello, can someone recommend me any revision websites for revising eng lit?
Original post by I love chemistry
Hello, can someone recommend me any revision websites for revising eng lit?

Glow up your grades youtube channel I swear by, it's epic. Also PMT and GetRevising (from TSR) has helpful analysis too.
Glow up your grades youtube channel I swear by, it's epic. Also PMT and GetRevising (from TSR) has helpful analysis too.

Thank you so much, I hope it will help me cuz I want a grade 8 but am at the top of grade 7
Hi can someone tell me if three quotes are enough for comparing poems, and how to structure poem essays ?
Hi can someone tell me if three quotes are enough for comparing poems, and how to structure poem essays ?

Hi, 3 quotes are more than enough to compare poems and if you have enough points/analysis for each of them, they will make 3 good paragraphs.

For structuring your essays, I would say start off with a solid introduction - don't use any quotes, just simply comment on what themes the question is asking about and also state some basic similarities/differences between the two poems (based on what the question is asking). The introduction is a good time to introduce why you are comparing the poem given to the other one of your choice and to give an outline as to what points you will talk about in your following paragraphs.

The next 3 paragraphs can have 3 different quotes with analysis. So mention language techniques, any structural techniques (such as cyclical structure), context (why the poet decided to do this and what element in their life influenced him/her) and key themes. Make sure to always link your points to the question, so you don't stray from what you are asked.

The last paragraph can be a conclusion to summarise your essay. It's also a good opportunity to add on any points you felt were relevant but you couldn't fit in anywhere else; you can also use your conclusion to comment on structure or context if you forgot to mention it earlier.

I hope that helps!
Thank you so much!!!! But I’m always confused about the themes 😭 hope you can help me with that 🙏
Thank you so much!!!! But I’m always confused about the themes 😭 hope you can help me with that 🙏

No worries! Themes are basically the main ideas in a text/poem - so for example in a christmas carol, a key theme is social responsibility which is a common topic that is explored in the novella.

So what I would suggest is reread each poem and notice the type of language or imagery which is constantly used throughout it - it could be death imagery (which would be a theme of death/loss) or use of metaphors in nature (which would be a theme of nature) or a common topic/issue that is explored such as culture or discrimination (which can be seen as a theme).

When you mention a theme in a paragraph, always link it to the question asked - for examplet, if the question asks you to compare a poem to another poem on the basis of war or love then make sure that everything you talk about in your essay is in relation to that. When you talk about a theme, you can relate it to context (so what happened in the poet's life that affected the topics explored in the poem) or give analysis based off a quote which is an opportunity to discuss language as well.
No worries! Themes are basically the main ideas in a text/poem - so for example in a christmas carol, a key theme is social responsibility which is a common topic that is explored in the novella.

So what I would suggest is reread each poem and notice the type of language or imagery which is constantly used throughout it - it could be death imagery (which would be a theme of death/loss) or use of metaphors in nature (which would be a theme of nature) or a common topic/issue that is explored such as culture or discrimination (which can be seen as a theme).

When you mention a theme in a paragraph, always link it to the question asked - for examplet, if the question asks you to compare a poem to another poem on the basis of war or love then make sure that everything you talk about in your essay is in relation to that. When you talk about a theme, you can relate it to context (so what happened in the poet's life that affected the topics explored in the poem) or give analysis based off a quote which is an opportunity to discuss language as well.

Ohhh thankyou so much for the information, it helped me a lot when revising cuz revision stressed me out a lot, so for My Last Duchess, can I say that there is a theme of power of humans and restriction?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending