The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone here have any advice for Paper 2 Question 2? I usually spend way too much time on it and on average get 4/8 marks >︿<
Original post by staristrying
Does anyone here have any advice for Paper 2 Question 2? I usually spend way too much time on it and on average get 4/8 marks >︿<

Ohh yeah, Paper 2 question 2 can be a bit tricky. Usually I use this to structure my paragraphs:

Point/Statement

Quotation

Inference/Explanation of language technique

One-word focus (zooming in on one particular word)

Writer's intention

Linking back to the question

When reading the text, try to annotate and identify different language techniques and then think about what the effect could be in relation to the question asked. If you're struggling to think of an effect, think about how the atmosphere/mood changes or what type of language it is (like is it morbid, is it pleasant etc.)
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Ohh yeah, Paper 2 question 2 can be a bit tricky. Usually I use this to structure my paragraphs:

Point/Statement

Quotation

Inference/Explanation of language technique

One-word focus (zooming in on one particular word)

Writer's intention

Linking back to the question

When reading the text, try to annotate and identify different language techniques and then think about what the effect could be in relation to the question asked. If you're struggling to think of an effect, think about how the atmosphere/mood changes or what type of language it is (like is it morbid, is it pleasant etc.)

Oh ok, thank you for your help! ^_^
Is it better to choose the description or the story for english language paper 1? And any suggestions to improve on question five? as i always get in the 20s out of 40 :/
Original post by Gcsestudentof24
Is it better to choose the description or the story for english language paper 1? And any suggestions to improve on question five? as i always get in the 20s out of 40 :/

I have bean told to always do the story but that's because I am targeting a grade 4.

The description is probably a bit easier to do, because for the story you have to include so many language techniques and a flowing storyline which might be harder to do in an exam environment and limited time - unless if you prepare a story beforehand and adjust it so fit the question prompt.

Otherwise for the description, you can have a word bank ready so you can use as much descriptive vocabulary/language as possible.
The description is probably a bit easier to do, because for the story you have to include so many language techniques and a flowing storyline which might be harder to do in an exam environment and limited time - unless if you prepare a story beforehand and adjust it so fit the question prompt.

Otherwise for the description, you can have a word bank ready so you can use as much descriptive vocabulary/language as possible.

I usually have chosen story and i focus more on language devices and vocab instesd of a flowing story so i think thats where i go wrong. So with that in mind, would description be easier? Also how would i pre plan a story thats able to fit into any prompt?
I usually have chosen story and i focus more on language devices and vocab instesd of a flowing story so i think thats where i go wrong. So with that in mind, would description be easier? Also how would i pre plan a story thats able to fit into any prompt?

If you spend most of the time on story, then I think stick with it if that's what you're more comfortable with. To get a flowing story, spend around 5 mins planning the plot/storyline - think about characters, dialogue and the different settings. Usually to make sure your story flows, reread each paragraph as soon as you finish writing it and change anything that seems to stick out or not fit within your plot. You can also think about varying your sentence lengths (so using short sentences to create tension/suspense or longer sentences to describe the setting/characters and slow the pace) and vary the types of language you use(the easiest way is to incorporate different types of language into your use of dialogue - for example, a businessman can talk in formal language whereas a teenager can use more informal language) to add an interesting element to it.

If you want to develop on characters, you don't need to just use their language/dialogue to present it, you can also use their tone of voice or their physical descriptions too. However, try to use minimal dialogue so that your story stays within range of the mark scheme/objectives - so whichever dialogue you use, try to use it to your advantage so that it's effective.

When preplanning a story, you don't need to necessarily write the ENTIRE story beforehand, but instead decide on a theme you would be comfortable writing about (such as thriller/crime or romance or science fiction etc.) and plan some short paragraphs where you demonstrate language devices and good vocab . Then try to mark it and perfect it as much as you can - there's a website that marks past papers for english and history gcse for free and gives good feedback:

https://app.edumentors.co.uk/gcse

Once you perfect your paragraph, then you can adapt this to prompts you're given. For example, if you pre-planned a crime scene and you got a prompt titled 'Write a story about a new beginning', you could for example, present a flashback of a character who used to be involved in crime, but has now decided to change. Or if your prompt was titled ' Write a story about a life-saving rescue', you could for example, present a character who witnesses a crime scene and intervenes to save someone. So basically, you use the same descriptions/language but adapt the storyline around it to fit with the question prompt.

Hopefully that helps give you a guideline and please let me know if I can explain anything better!
Reply 28
Original post by eshalkkk
Honestly practice makes perfect, every day revise for English, read more books for a better range of vocab and figurative languageor cook for sample answers and take notes from them to make your writing more worthy if you want you can send me some of your work and i can mark it for you.

Do you mind suggesting me any types of reading books that may help with my vocab and knowledge. Please give me a list if possible.
Reply 29
Original post by eshalkkk
Honestly practice makes perfect, every day revise for English, read more books for a better range of vocab and figurative languageor cook for sample answers and take notes from them to make your writing more worthy if you want you can send me some of your work and i can mark it for you.

does this offer still stand?
Reply 30
Original post by A_ikram19

does this offer still stand?

yes !
what's a good way of revising for English language
Hey everyone

I'm not studying gcses anymore, I'm a current university student and I am offering tutoring for gcse English language students. I got a grade 9 and it was one of my most enjoyable subjects. If anyone is interested let me know!
Original post by Fatima.abbas
what's a good way of revising for English language

Using flashcards for terminology and quotes worked really well for me. As well as for poetry finding copies and rewriting your notes/annotations from memory then filling in the blanks with a different color (keep repeating this process until you remember most notes). Do your own research into context and poems to help get familiar- but remember context isn't needed for that part of the exam!

Break everything down into small chunks and don't be too hard on yourself if you make mistakes, we all do.

As well, look at past paper answers- look at the answer at your current grade and critique it, do the same for the grades above and below. This way you know what to look out for when writing your own. As well as this do practice paragraphs or practice annotations on random texts (for example previous exam texts).

It sounds like a lot but believe me it will help so much when it comes to your exams if your familiar with what exactly you're meant to do x
does anyone who sat their language paper 1 in may 2023 remember what the photo looked like in q5?
China and Myanmar are friendly neighbors connected by mountains and rivers, and the traditional friendship between the two peoples has a long history. Since ancient times, the two peoples have known each other as "Paukphaw".
Hello, thanks for making this thread!
I'm doing aqa for english lang.
I do enjoy the creative writing section and the first question on paper 1 + 2 (as it's the easiest in my opinion lol).
I sometimes struggle to get started when I'm writing my responses, but once I get going I'm fine.
For @agent_duck343 and @dmedz , here are some tips I have for english lang, but they are all for paper 1, although can be applicable for paper 2 as well:
- For Q2 about language: once you put your point and quotation across try to identify a language device and link it's effect to the question, then put a one-word focus (where you zoom in on one word and link it's effect to the question) and lastly you could comment on sentence structure/punctuation and any other language devices. Always remember to link back to the question and aim to write about 2 paragraphs!
- For Q3 about structure: try to identify structures like cyclical structures, an introduction to a new character, anything that foreshadows an event, changes or shifts in tone and setting, flashbacks/cliffhangers and how this can interest the reader. You don't need to give any quotations that have language devices in particular, they can be any quotations as long as they back up your point.
- For Q4: I firstly recommend making sure you stay within the lines you are asked to write about as this prevents any silly mistakes (like writing about the wrong lines). After putting your point (whether you agree/disagree) and explaining a reason why this is, it's best to put forward a quotation to back the point up. You can then discuss language devices and it's effect on the reader/link to the statement. As a bonus you can discuss punctuation and structures.
I hope I helped!
Hello
Thank you for the tips, they are helpful.
Can you give us some tips for question 5 in the creative writing please. I am struggling with the grade 3 in it and it seemed a pit hard to write in English where English is my second language.
Reply 37
Go onto YouTube and search for Mr Everything English. There will be videos on there that should help you.
hii i need a help can someone tell me in november 2023 what is for friction and non fiction
Reply 39
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE English Language Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:
You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:
Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.
A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

////

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending