The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

does anyone know what was there for june 2023 repeat papers igcse
Original post by Gcsestudentof24
Is it better to choose the description or the story for english language paper 1? And any suggestions to improve on question five? as i always get in the 20s out of 40 :/

Bit late but eh... I find it easier to do a description rather than a story as a plot makes it so much harder to write. Normally I get 37-40.
However, the general rule of thumb that I hear if you choose a story is to make your plot 30 seconds long. For a description here's what I was taught to do:

Add an emotion to the picture. For example if you get a zoo, then write about 'Zoo of Misery' or 'Zoo of happiness', whatever emotion fits you best. The picture is only a prompt, like a recommendation. If the sky is blue, don’t hesitate to change it to black or purple depending on your emotions.

Structure! In media res, start with a single sentence? Your goal is to hook in the examiner at first glance. They’re going to see hundreds of papers, make sure you start with something captivating. Similarly, end on a strong note. Make it cyclical, linear, non-linear, interactive, make sure they go wow.

Paragraphs.

Don't use cliches! For example when you are describing, let us say a sky, don't use 'the sky was as blue as a sapphire', make stuff up! My favorite line whenever I'm writing a description is 'the sky casted it's miserable grey hue across the vastness as narcoleptic clouds drifting hazily through the sky in a futile attempt to smother the sun.' It's also advisable to use a set phrase that you start with to start with so you get into the flow quickly.

Add movement. A description may start seeming like a list, so I normally add movement into an image, whether it be a simple page/leaf/litter flying about in the wind OR a person simply walking. Try not to get too overboard with this and turn it into a plot though- restrict what it can do.

Motifs! Use a song lyric or a book quote to help you along, or maybe a memorable phrase. I tend to use Leigh Bardugo’s quote ‘The water here and sees, the ice does not forgive.’ You don’t need to explicitly mention it, but try and link it back to your theme/ quote throughout.

If you run out of stuff to say, then think about the past. If you’re writing about, again, a miserable zoo, then what was it like before? Happy? Sad? Write about that!

Sentence structure, vocabulary, figurative language. Use thesaurus, create word banks.

Punctuation! I cannot stress how much people like semicolons. I normally write out a checklist of all punctuation on top to check if I have them all somewhere in my writing at least once.

Make a brief plan.

Finally, I prefer to do my Q5 in the beginning, 45 mins. One question = 40 marks, so might as well do it first to maximize my chances.

These are the things I can think off the top my head, sorry if they make no sense , I have trouble collating my thoughts🙂
Take care <3
Edit: Realized that I missed something-

Make sure you write a lot: around 4 pages! Less than that may be an issue.

(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by hydroqen
Bit late but eh... I find it easier to do a description rather than a story as a plot makes it so much harder to write. Normally I get 37-40.
However, the general rule of thumb that I hear if you choose a story is to make your plot 30 seconds long. For a description here's what I was taught to do:

Add an emotion to the picture. For example if you get a zoo, then write about 'Zoo of Misery' or 'Zoo of happiness', whatever emotion fits you best. The picture is only a prompt, like a recommendation. If the sky is blue, don’t hesitate to change it to black or purple depending on your emotions.

Structure! In media res, start with a single sentence? Your goal is to hook in the examiner at first glance. They’re going to see hundreds of papers, make sure you start with something captivating. Similarly, end on a strong note. Make it cyclical, linear, non-linear, interactive, make sure they go wow.

Paragraphs.

Don't use cliches! For example when you are describing, let us say a sky, don't use 'the sky was as blue as a sapphire', make stuff up! My favorite line whenever I'm writing a description is 'the sky casted it's miserable grey hue across the vastness as narcoleptic clouds drifting hazily through the sky in a futile attempt to smother the sun.' It's also advisable to use a set phrase that you start with to start with so you get into the flow quickly.

Add movement. A description may start seeming like a list, so I normally add movement into an image, whether it be a simple page/leaf/litter flying about in the wind OR a person simply walking. Try not to get too overboard with this and turn it into a plot though- restrict what it can do.

Motifs! Use a song lyric or a book quote to help you along, or maybe a memorable phrase. I tend to use Leigh Bardugo’s quote ‘The water here and sees, the ice does not forgive.’ You don’t need to explicitly mention it, but try and link it back to your theme/ quote throughout.

If you run out of stuff to say, then think about the past. If you’re writing about, again, a miserable zoo, then what was it like before? Happy? Sad? Write about that!

Sentence structure, vocabulary, figurative language. Use thesaurus, create word banks.

Punctuation! I cannot stress how much people like semicolons. I normally write out a checklist of all punctuation on top to check if I have them all somewhere in my writing at least once.

Make a brief plan.

Finally, I prefer to do my Q5 in the beginning, 45 mins. One question = 40 marks, so might as well do it first to maximize my chances.

These are the things I can think off the top my head, sorry if they make no sense , I have trouble collating my thoughts🙂
Take care <3

Thank you so soo much, this makes perfect sense and ill give it a go :heart:
Original post by Gcsestudentof24
Thank you so soo much, this makes perfect sense and ill give it a go :heart:

Ofc! Lmk how it goes, if you want me to look over it or if you have any questions then do let me know! :smile:
Original post by hydroqen

Paragraphs.

Make a brief plan.

Take care <3
Edit: Realized that I missed something-

Make sure you write a lot: around 4 pages! Less than that may be an issue.

Oh my goodness that helps soooo much!!!!

Also my friend said that she just chooses the plot of a film / book / video game and writes about that!
Anyone in IGCSE i need help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending