The Student Room Group

Law Personal Statement

Hi, I'm writing a personal statement for law and I was thinking of doing online work experience with a firm, but it is an Australian firm. Can I still add it to my personal statement? I want to do criminal law and this firm is one of the few that I found that is doing it.
Thank you in advance!
You can write about whatever you want in a PS.

Law is an academic degree though not a vocational one - work experience isn’t directly relevant to academic study of law and shouldn’t be the main focus of your PS.
Work experience is relevant for a personal statement IF and only if it is directly related to the subject you want to study.

E.g I want to do a music degree and so did work experience at my school assisting the teacher. Having had to explain key concepts to younger people has helped solidify my understanding for these concepts and has helped me realise that different people utilise tone in different ways. This led me to read Samantha Jones book “tone, and how to develop it”

Your challenge will be that it’s an Australian firm so not related to English law. I.e. your wording and how you present the information will be key but anything you put down on a personal statement that demonstrates your love for the subject and how it has led you to want to know more and improve your understanding (shows why you are more likely to succeed at the course than other people) can only be a good thing IMHO.
Reply 3
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Work experience is relevant for a personal statement IF and only if it is directly related to the subject you want to study.

E.g I want to do a music degree and so did work experience at my school assisting the teacher. Having had to explain key concepts to younger people has helped solidify my understanding for these concepts and has helped me realise that different people utilise tone in different ways. This led me to read Samantha Jones book “tone, and how to develop it”

Your challenge will be that it’s an Australian firm so not related to English law. I.e. your wording and how you present the information will be key but anything you put down on a personal statement that demonstrates your love for the subject and how it has led you to want to know more and improve your understanding (shows why you are more likely to succeed at the course than other people) can only be a good thing IMHO.

Thank you so much!! This was really helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
You can write about whatever you want in a PS.

Law is an academic degree though not a vocational one - work experience isn’t directly relevant to academic study of law and shouldn’t be the main focus of your PS.

Thank you! I will keep that in mind when writing it!!
Reply 5
More useful will evidence of your academic engagement with the subject - listen to some of these BBC Law in Action podcasts and pick a few topics to research a bit more and then discuss briefly in your PS - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tgy1/episodes/player

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending